Gummed up clutch XM.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put the roosterbuilt in my 2014 yesterday. Have 700km on the sled and wow was it in need of a cleaning. I had blown the dust out twice previous. The arms were very sticky had to pull them out and clean them. There was a fair bit of crap stuck to the pins. just an FYI.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My clutch gets pulled and roughly cleaned about every 200-300 km. Never gummed or stuck. But im OCD.

I also switch belts back and forth all day

Are you guys anal? 1700 km on the stock belt (last year it was 2800 km) and my spare is brand new. The ramps and rollers last year were in great shape at 3000 kms. I ride the trail to get to the top but up in the pow I am not really a meadow muffin but to switch back and forth all day is.........well a bit much, IMHO.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Are you guys anal? 1700 km on the stock belt (last year it was 2800 km) and my spare is brand new. The ramps and rollers last year were in great shape at 3000 kms. I ride the trail to get to the top but up in the pow I am not really a meadow muffin but to switch back and forth all day is.........well a bit much, IMHO.
Ya my belt went 2000km last year and still looked new. Clutches needed cleaning but everything was still free and in great shape. Way better than my 04 was.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm new to working on the TRA. Really surprised at how much of a difference simply cleaning them makes.
3200km on my '14 Summit.
I scrubbed the faces of both clutches with scotch brite and Spray-Nine as per someone's recommendation. Notable improvement; enough that I do it every 500km or so.
Removed, cleaned and inspected primary at 2500km. No significant wear, stickiness or dirt buildup. Replaced nothing. Notable improvement.

Still on my first belt, currently 36.8mm wide @ 3200km of mountain use. Although wear limit is 35.9mm, I'm noticing lower and more inconsistent WOT Rpm's. Generally 1 click higher than before. Tried my new spare (and broken in) belt @ 37.8mm, and clutching is like new again. Stable, consistent and higher rpm's.
Still going to milk my old belt for a while though.

Last edited:

Mtdgt

Reaction score
Blow my primary every ride and run a full season on same belt. Usually 70 plus rides

Clay911

Reaction score
I also remove and thoroughly clean my clutches every 300km or so and scotchbrite the faces. Anyone who has not done that doesn't know what they are missing. I don't think it has to be done every 300km but at least every 500. Makes a noticeable difference.

SKEGNSNOW

Reaction score
Just had my 14' SP 146 primary cleaned up. 550 miles it was filled with belt dust. Torque stoppers were out of spec. Low elevation kit installed right now. Stock gearing. No vent kit. Blew two belts riding it nut deep pow here in Northern Sask so far. Check your torque stoppers IMO. Probably could have gotten another 2-300 miles on the first belt IMO. Clutches were cleaned at PDI.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A word of warning, if you clean the pivot pins, just use WD-40 or similar. Some guys...even dealers , were chucking them up and using scotchbrite, removing the zinc plating. Works fine until the sked sits and the pins rust, then they really get in a bind.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The goggles or the clutch. I hope the were 509's. I need to do the same with mine, Its hard to throw them away when their so expensive.

No the 509's stay in the gear bag not worth taking them out. They where smiths goggles, you would be surprised on how far a goggle strap can stretch lol!

Top Bottom