Group riding etiquette question?

joebrokeit

Reaction score
Wow i always check behind easier to check every few than backtrack 20. imo Ya need new riding buddies for sure!!! As far as leaving you stranded they are diffinately asshatss!!!! If i went with buddies on a road trip and one of us grenaded we would spend all night getting him goin or all chip in on a rental. No man left behind period!!!!!

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are always riding with different riders and we have made a habit of grouping up every few km, or every turnoff. People get stuck, break down, even get hurt, its just plain irresponsible to leave the group behind. I would not ride with people like that.

Totally with you on this and you should let them know how irresponsible they were.
Its just bad backcountry practice.

Reactions: RXN

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope your friends are on here reading because it seems like most are on the same page.

We put the strongest riders at front and rear and the weakest rider sets the pace. Breaks every few KM or every junction in the trail. In familiar terrain we have check points and they are the same every time we ride. I explain to new people in our group what we are doing when we stop, and the names of each point. That way they can pass it onto other riders. Communication is super important on the hill.

I mostly ride with just one other. I agree people can be a liablility and extra numbers don't necessarily help. You can't very well keep your eyes on each other in the trees, but we have a good general idea of where the person is, and always let each other know where we are meeting next. We carry radios just in case.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CalgarySledGuy took me out to Fording last year. I was the newbie and he watch over me pretty good (especially when he let me ride his 1000 :) .
On the way back I was leading (in my truck) and he disappeared. I pulled over and waited.... nothing. I was going to turn around but remembered I had his cell phone number so I contacted him. Turned out he headed back to Hwy#2 a different way than I go so all was good.

I say go together, stay together PERIOD! Unless you have made other arraignments before you left the parking lot.
You should never feel alone when in a group..... or you might as well go out alone. Stupid idea right! Well if they aren't watching out for you YOU ARE!

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Good thread, glad to see that so many have a proper group riding dynamic going on. It doesn't matter as much what your system is, as long as your group follows it. We ride "lead" and "cleanup". Lead and cleanup are both experienced guys. In our case, lead has a bright orange helment, cleanup has a bright yellow one. Lead stops every few clicks if he doesn't see cleanup for a little while. Doesn't matter who is in-between, but they STAY in-between. If one of the group looses the orange helment for whatever reason (which only happens generally if there is a big group of sleds riding in an open area), they find the yellow helment and follow him because both lead and cleanup know the final destination. If others pass our group, that's no problem either. Most times lead and cleanup can sight each other every half-a-click or so, and both keep track of the sleds in our group. When lead stops periodically, he waits for a thumbs-up from cleanup before going again. No radios needed. But I guess we have been doing this for a long time, before there were radios small enough to carry!

We do generally emphasize, especially to new riders (or new to our group) to stick to this system. We have had a few hiccups and the new guys learn quick the benefits of staying with the system because alot of smile/fun time is wasted looking for a stray. Honestly, you have WAAAY more fun following a 'group riding' system than otherwise, less worry and looking for strays!

I can relate many stories of lost souls we have found way in the back of some riding area, in trouble, and no riding buddies or group to be seen!!! Best one was some poor fella who had his right foot caught between his rear idler wheel and his track. He had been there for 30 minutes before we showed up and helped him and his sled out. And just three weeks ago we found a poor guy broke down on the trail going down, trying to radio his buddies. His buddies never came but he was able to limp the sled out. Too much of that kind of thing going on! Backcountry riding is not a trip to the 7-11 people!

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I thought I would update everyone.

When everyone got back to the hotel they came to my room for a chat. 2 of the people that were the ones that didn't look back felt it was unfair for them to have to babysit by looking behind them.So they got upset and went home. The lead sled and the 2 nd one didn't notice that there were not the right amount of sleds behind them and were very applogetic. Hey $hit happens but the 2 in the middle had actually pulled over a few times and when we the last 2 riders didn't show they kept going. I would assume that from the response of "it wasn't their job to babysit" then they were more concerned of their good time than anything else.

Now this was not any newbies, we have rode together quite a few times and this was not the first time this has happened. We have talked about this a lot because it's not the first time. Also I would like to point out this was 16km from the truck on a trail none of us has ever rode before. Nobody got stuck, or lost, it was a break down. I have so many times came across someone broke down and their buddies are no where to be seen and have mentioned this to our group. Many of you are right , 4 in a group is great in the mountains and we usually break into groups once we hit the alpine but on the trail in and out unless previously arranged we stick together.

I want to be able to rely on my group in any situation. If it's a break down , an accident or god forbid an avalanche. That's why we have always rode with basically the same group. Now and then someone joins. Ok not to be too long winded on this but 1 of the people that didn't stop teaches a snowmobile safety program. I am really shocked that this person of any would ride 20km's without caring where the last 2 sleds are...........

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We have decided we won't be riding with these 2 paticular people as we would like to know we can count on each other no matter what!

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We took 5 sleds on Sat had one newbie and one almost newbie, I took the tail and my buddy who knows the trails went in the lead, You have to gauge the people you are with, I guess, to keep your ride enjoyable. I went with a group a number of years ago and I was the newbie( only been riding 5 years). I have no snow balance to speak of so I kept getting stuck, a couple of the guys I was with got right P.O.ed and made it clear that they were not happy. Fortunately the guys that had invited me told the two to piss off, If they hadn't done that,I don't think I would have carried on. We were all newbies at one time and now I look after the newbies to make sure that they are not left behind. Having said that there are times when the faster riders go out by ourselves and ride hard, but that is made clear before hand. When we "girlie ride" we ride to the abilities to the weakest rider so that they enjoy this great sport! ( applies to quads as well!)
:snowmobilers_wave:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I thought I would update everyone.

When everyone got back to the hotel they came to my room for a chat. 2 of the people that were the ones that didn't look back felt it was unfair for them to have to babysit by looking behind them.So they got upset and went home. The lead sled and the 2 nd one didn't notice that there were not the right amount of sleds behind them and were very applogetic. Hey $hit happens but the 2 in the middle had actually pulled over a few times and when we the last 2 riders didn't show they kept going. I would assume that from the response of "it wasn't their job to babysit" then they were more concerned of their good time than anything else.

Now this was not any newbies, we have rode together quite a few times and this was not the first time this has happened. We have talked about this a lot because it's not the first time. Also I would like to point out this was 16km from the truck on a trail none of us has ever rode before. Nobody got stuck, or lost, it was a break down. I have so many times came across someone broke down and their buddies are no where to be seen and have mentioned this to our group. Many of you are right , 4 in a group is great in the mountains and we usually break into groups once we hit the alpine but on the trail in and out unless previously arranged we stick together.

I want to be able to rely on my group in any situation. If it's a break down , an accident or god forbid an avalanche. That's why we have always rode with basically the same group. Now and then someone joins. Ok not to be too long winded on this but 1 of the people that didn't stop teaches a snowmobile safety program. I am really shocked that this person of any would ride 20km's without caring where the last 2 sleds are...........

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We have decided we won't be riding with these 2 paticular people as we would like to know we can count on each other no matter what!

WOW. Well, in my opinion I believe there is an unwritten code among sledding buddies. You pick your group, and you stick together, watching out for each other on the trail to the mountain, on the mountain, and on the trail home from the mountain. Sledding is as safe as you make it out to be....if you ride with peeps like this, you definitely increase your odds of turning your hobby into a very high risk sport. I am certain that my riding buddies can proficiently carry out an avalanche rescue if god forbid the situation arises....and also that they would not be inconvenienced by a break down, or other unfortunate circumstance! If we didn't luck out and have awesome sledding buddies to ride with, sledding just wouldn't be the same for me! They are worth their weight in GOLD....they challenge us, laugh with us, help dig us out, and keep us safe......I'm glad that you came to the conclusion that these peeps are unsafe to ride with (I am shocked that one of these teaches a sled safety program)...I think maybe this person should take up another occupation as it's basically practice what you preach....

You definitely brought up a really good thread. We will have to ride together some time! :)

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to impliment a new rule to our crew.
the 2nd last guy to leave any area has to see the lst guys sled start.
I had just finished telling this to a "slow learner" and he buzzes off before I pull mine into life ... hmmmmm

and I've dug him out how many times ???

I convinced him to get the sister sled to mine and I've done how much work on his sled ???

early this season a large crew head into quartz creek and an xp squeaks at the 7km mark, clearly theres something wrong but buddy keeps cracking by us all.

and people wonder why I sled and splitboard solo regularly ...

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to impliment a new rule to our crew.
the 2nd last guy to leave any area has to see the lst guys sled start.
I had just finished telling this to a "slow learner" and he buzzes off before I pull mine into life ... hmmmmm

and I've dug him out how many times ???

I convinced him to get the sister sled to mine and I've done how much work on his sled ???

early this season a large crew head into quartz creek and an xp squeaks at the 7km mark, clearly theres something wrong but buddy keeps cracking by us all.

and people wonder why I sled and splitboard solo regularly ...

some people never learn, we also had a pokey guy mid pack that was falling behind, and got to a intersection and had no idea which way to go, 4 of us came up behind, and the guys ahead just disappeared needless to say we went the wrong way, i was a little pissed at mr pokey and the guy ahead of him, murder did cross my mind. hindsight it wasn't totally mr pokies fault,

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW. Well, in my opinion I believe there is an unwritten code among sledding buddies. You pick your group, and you stick together, watching out for each other on the trail to the mountain, on the mountain, and on the trail home from the mountain. Sledding is as safe as you make it out to be....if you ride with peeps like this, you definitely increase your odds of turning your hobby into a very high risk sport. I am certain that my riding buddies can proficiently carry out an avalanche rescue if god forbid the situation arises....and also that they would not be inconvenienced by a break down, or other unfortunate circumstance! If we didn't luck out and have awesome sledding buddies to ride with, sledding just wouldn't be the same for me! They are worth their weight in GOLD....they challenge us, laugh with us, help dig us out, and keep us safe......I'm glad that you came to the conclusion that these peeps are unsafe to ride with (I am shocked that one of these teaches a sled safety program)...I think maybe this person should take up another occupation as it's basically practice what you preach....

You definitely brought up a really good thread. We will have to ride together some time! :)

Thanks for the response Snoqueen. You are so right we do a high risk sport and I really want to be able to count on our group in any situation. I have always thought that when we ride together then we look out for one another. Definatly will look forward to a ride together sometime. I know you guys ride the Torpy quite a bit as we do to, so we will definatly hook up. Our group of 4 now is a great group , all AST 1 trained.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a good friend and riding bud that is constantly running ahead and not checking to see if the group is still a group. he has this thing about being out front and rides like he wants regardless of the ability of those behind him. it is endlessly frustrating. if he's out front, I try to either ride mid pack or sweep just to keep the group cohesive. no matter how many times I give him the gears about doing it he seems to always do the same thing. you simply gotta have a good sweep rider, many of the riders with lesser experience are so scared of losing those ahead they do not look back to make sure the others are following. this past weekend we had a group of 11 on saturday, and 13 on sunday. on saturday one of the guys had a catastrophic engine failure, he was riding in the third last spot. it was dark, I was mid pack, realized there were 3 missing and stopped, waitied for 10 minutes or so and turned back with the 2 right behind me and found them. took an hour for the front 5 to return to us. that ch!t pisses me off to no end. it all worked out, and we had enough guys at the moment to take care of things, but that's not the point.....

009Medium-1.jpg

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a good friend and riding bud that is constantly running ahead and not checking to see if the group is still a group. he has this thing about being out front and rides like he wants regardless of the ability of those behind him. it is endlessly frustrating. if he's out front, I try to either ride mid pack or sweep just to keep the group cohesive. no matter how many times I give him the gears about doing it he seems to always do the same thing. you simply gotta have a good sweep rider, many of the riders with lesser experience are so scared of losing those ahead they do not look back to make sure the others are following. this past weekend we had a group of 11 on saturday, and 13 on sunday. on saturday one of the guys had a catastrophic engine failure, he was riding in the third last spot. it was dark, I was mid pack, realized there were 3 missing and stopped, waitied for 10 minutes or so and turned back with the 2 right behind me and found them. took an hour for the front 5 to return to us. that ch!t pisses me off to no end. it all worked out, and we had enough guys at the moment to take care of things, but that's not the point.....

Was the same for biking hey Troy!!! We were raised to ride as a pack and pay attention to the rest ;)

.....thats an bad ouch there wow!!!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was the same for biking hey Troy!!! We were raised to ride as a pack and pay attention to the rest ;)

.....thats an bad ouch there wow!!!!
we never seem to have that big of a group when biking, we rip hard on the bikes and guys that can't push just won't ride with us anymore. but yeah, same deal. ALWAYS make sure the gang is together. we seem to be more tolerant of having unskilled riders with us on sleds, not sure why that is really...lol.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we never seem to have that big of a group when biking, we rip hard on the bikes and guys that can't push just won't ride with us anymore. but yeah, same deal. ALWAYS make sure the gang is together. we seem to be more tolerant of having unskilled riders with us on sleds, not sure why that is really...lol.

you hittin up Yami Fest or Revi at all the spring?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you hittin up Yami Fest or Revi at all the spring?
hard to say, work hasn't been all that busy so it's hard to book any outings like i can when we're balls out trucking. if it gets busy like everyone promises then I might be able to get a couple extra mountain rides in, only planned rides I hit without fail are family day week/weekend in Vale, and mid april for the 'junkie get together. the rest I squeeze in when I can, we've got good snow up here so far and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to pound the local spots into submission.

Top Bottom