"Green" energy. Not so green.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is not even close to being green.

Your example, you say that will take 10years to pay for itself for a 400w panel?
My house bill averages your 508kwh per month of usage and your talking thats a year for 1, 400w panel?

With that setup, your still connected to the grid, still paying the fees etc. Your contribution to the grid is less than a pin prick.

I have a 180w or 200w(can’t remember what it is at the moment) on the roof of my trailer, I know what it takes for amps to charge my batteries fully, that panel will not produce the amps for the hours needed to charge the batteries.

I’m not saying you can power your whole house with one module I was just showing you the math behind calculating the economics of solar today.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And we will never see it again I feel sorry for my grandkids that they will not have to think for themselves government and big corporations will do it for them

i don't see much of a future for anyone's grand kids if the top of the heap world "leaders" get there way! there is a world wide depopulation coming that will elininate 80% of the people on the planet. that means for every 10 people u know 8will have to die. who is going to make that choice? best to make a stand sooner than later. later that choice will be made for you.
looks like the meek are not going to inherit the earth this time, i'm afraid.
hope i'm wrong?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The economics of solar are RAPIDLY improving. The system I plan on building soon (after I finish in crop spraying) will pay for itself in 10 years. Will probably start as a grid tied system because I think a big battery tech improvement is near. Think of it this way, a single 400watt solar module will generate 508 kWh of energy for one calendar year (Jan1-Dec31). If you use this energy yourself you are saving $0.20/kWh. If you sell it to the grid you will get $0.08. Lets just make it easy and say that you're going to use half and sell half of what this one module produces for an average price of $0.14. $0.14 per kWh x 508 kWh = $71.12

The cost of this 400watt system is probably about $1.30ish per watt (module/inverter/racking/wiring). Lets just say $2.00/watt for a total of $800. $800/$71 = 11.2 years.
If you use all of the power your solar makes without selling to the grid then this number is smaller.
If you sell all the power your solar makes to the grid then this number is larger.
If you use this solar energy to power an electric vehicle and displace gasoline this number is MUCH MUCH smaller.

The numbers don't lie and have no politics or emotion involved.

The numbers don't lie, but they can be wildly inaccurate....selling your power back to the grid at 8 cents per kWh? no way..... last time I looked it was around 2 cents per kWh....and adding the fees into the mix is disingenuous because you pay the almost the same fees regardless of how much power you use....the fixed cost fees are ridiculous. And we all know there's no way you're gonna sever your ties to the grid regardless of what green system you install....so rework you numbers with the fees removed and see what happens to you estimated break even point.... more like 40-50 years without factoring in replacing all the panels after about 25 years.....

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The numbers don't lie, but they can be wildly inaccurate....selling your power back to the grid at 8 cents per kWh? no way..... last time I looked it was around 2 cents per kWh....and adding the fees into the mix is disingenuous because you pay the almost the same fees regardless of how much power you use....the fixed cost fees are ridiculous. And we all know there's no way you're gonna sever your ties to the grid regardless of what green system you install....so rework you numbers with the fees removed and see what happens to you estimated break even point.... more like 40-50 years without factoring in replacing all the panels after about 25 years.....

“I don’t like math or facts so I’m going to change around all the numbers until it fits my personal beliefs”

FAKE MATH!

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People in Nelson bought into the make the shoe fit engineering solar fiasco also . Have a look around this site to discover some cold hard truths about solar panels. These investors probably get a yearly invoice rather than a dividend

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People in Nelson bought into the make the shoe fit engineering solar fiasco also . Have a look around this site to discover some cold hard truths about solar panels. These investors probably get a yearly invoice rather than a dividend [/QUOTE

Ya but neslon hired a climate change co-ordinator a "GRANT" of 125000 dollars for funding....WTF.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i like math and my figures above are precise.

That Nelson solar project was dumb. It’s in a stupid spot, they spent too much, and they didn’t do their math. It is a perfect example of what happens when government tries to get involved with something.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
“I don’t like math or facts so I’m going to change around all the numbers until it fits my personal beliefs”

FAKE MATH!

Precisely. Show me proof that you can sell your excess power back to the grid for 8 cents/kWh. Also, how much of a government subsidy are you gonna receive for your project?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the math i was talking about was not the nelson solar plant but a post a while before that, sure nelson lied, hid figures and stole from the tax payers just like Trudeau is doing now. But at least they post accurate honest outputs...thank god. That one fellow sure did a lot of leg work pointing this all out, it must have burned his ass having to pay for all this corruption. Hopefully some of you actually read it so it is not in vain. This was the article that actually took my rose colored glasses off a few years ago. I could not believe the snow job i had been swallowing up to that point. I looked at those outputs hundreds of times getting madder each time i seen them. After rereading the article i see it has been altered from the original, he has taken out all the world stuff and just stuck to nelson stuff. Wonder what made him do that...haha. Death threats! I am glad i read the original thats the one that opened my eyes.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s two things green energy projects have in common, all over the world. The first is they never get built without huge subsidies from government, and the second is that they never perform as promised. They always produce way less power than promised and are unreliable.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Precisely. Show me proof that you can sell your excess power back to the grid for 8 cents/kWh. Also, how much of a government subsidy are you gonna receive for your project?

I get 21 cents/kwh.

Alberta no longer has solar grants.

Screenshot (85).png

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...expert find a new career? I guess when I hear you on the radio getting interviewed from thousands of miles away on my local media outlet I'll start taking you seriously. How about that?

I really don't care if you read what I write or not, or take it seriously. But if I can't convince you about anything on the topic of renewable energy how will you convince the masses that you should be allowed to possess semi-automatic rifles like an AR-15?

The unwillingness for Canadians as a whole to view any topic from another angle is becoming the demise of this country.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: "Green" energy. Not so green.

Its the reality of it, materials mined and gathered using fossil fuel burning equipment.
Lets look at the efficiency of the panel, even if the panel was the claimed 8%, dunno if it is or it isnt. Over its lifetime it still would not replace or even possibly pay for itself.
Look at the batteries for storage, they also are part of the problem and the equation, they get less efficient with age.

If there is a company willing to install a system on my house, with a contract saying that I do not have to pay for it until the savings I received from it, exceeds the install price. Im game to talk.

Solar panels repay the energy used to make them within 3 years after being installed. Warranty on most panels is 25 years.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really don't care if you read what I write or not, or take it seriously. But if I can't convince you about anything on the topic of renewable energy how will you convince the masses that you should be allowed to possess semi-automatic rifles like an AR-15?

The unwillingness for Canadians as a whole to view any topic from another angle is becoming the demise of this country.

You had to bring up his banning crap in canada, I will miss that coffee but wisdom prevails.

https://twitter.com/blckriflecoffee...deau-gun-ban-prohibits-an-airsoft-toy-coffee/

Top Bottom