"Green" energy. Not so green.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same as Edmonton global news, on warm months the weather broadcasters show a chart of Above normal and Below normal highs for the day.... then suddenly when we have cold months like March and April they don’t report that. Really the media is so seriously screwed. Where the agendas are funded from I have no idea. Fake news is really getting old for me.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's how statistical averages works, 50% of the time you should have temperatures colder than the average and 50% of the time the temperatures should be warmer. The problem is there are more warm months than cool months when compared to the 50, 100, or 150 year averages.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's how statistical averages works, 50% of the time you should have temperatures colder than the average and 50% of the time the temperatures should be warmer. The problem is there are more warm months than cool months when compared to the 50, 100, or 150 year averages.

the point I was trying to make on months where say 20/30 days had day time temps above average they show a calendar with 20 red days 10 blue days.... as in yikes global warming. On months where there are 10 days above and 20 days below they do no put a calendar up with 20 blue days and 10 red as in global cooling. The latter does not support the global warming climate change Bs and our bias media won’t go there.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the point I was trying to make on months where say 20/30 days had day time temps above average they show a calendar with 20 red days 10 blue days.... as in yikes global warming. On months where there are 10 days above and 20 days below they do no put a calendar up with 20 blue days and 10 red as in global cooling. The latter does not support the global warming climate change Bs and our bias media won’t go there.

Maybe find a different news channel, on CTV Edmonton they always highlight the cold weather more than anything it seems.

Fact is 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 are the hottest years in recorded history, so I would also assume that more above average weather is newsworthy?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And people who believe the last 5 years are leading to global meltdown on the 4,200,000,000 year old planet have consumed to the kool aid.

And for all those years CO2 is proven to be the follower of the warming and cooling by 500 years. The only exception to this has been the last 40 years, CO2 is now the driver???? How the hell did that get switched around? It is going to get harder to steal money from people when recorded cold temperatures are now showing up.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same as Edmonton global news, on warm months the weather broadcasters show a chart of Above normal and Below normal highs for the day.... then suddenly when we have cold months like March and April they don’t report that. Really the media is so seriously screwed. Where the agendas are funded from I have no idea. Fake news is really getting old for me.

Only what Trudeau allows them to air.

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Planet of the Humans is intentionally misleading, it used outdated science and statistics, especially in regards to wind and solar. No better than the rest of Micheal Moore's heavily biased documentaries.

The biomass power generation issues up were very accurate however, biomass should not be considered a solution.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Planet of the Humans is intentionally misleading, it used outdated science and statistics, especially in regards to wind and solar. No better than the rest of Micheal Moore's heavily biased documentaries.

The biomass power generation issues up were very accurate however, biomass should not be considered a solution.

So you sre saying wind and solar can be a stable grid and a natural gas or coal plant on standby isnt needed? To me thats the biggest issue, if you need a plant sitting on idle that ramps up as needed then the whole thing is a farce and waste of time.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you sre saying wind and solar can be a stable grid and a natural gas or coal plant on standby isnt needed? To me thats the biggest issue, if you need a plant sitting on idle that ramps up as needed then the whole thing is a farce and waste of time.

We have these standby plants in Alberta already, they are a necessity of any grid for stability.

Most of the simple cycle natural gas plants in Alberta are peaker plants, they are built to operate during short periods of high demand coincided by high power prices, ie in the evenings when demand peaks as people get home and cook supper, or during the coldest or hottest days when heating and cooling systems are working overtime. The vast majority of these plants are natural gas turbines that stay off when not needed and can start within 15 minutes with some now having a response time of just under 5 minutes. Just like your car these power plants don't use natural gas until started, with the exception of a small amount of energy to keep the building heated and the lights on.

The whole notion that natural gas power plants burn fuel as they sit "idle" is untrue. Thermal power plants (coal) are a different matter, the response time of these plants is many hours, making them best suited for base-load capacity. That being said with the 2030 Canada-wide phaseout of coal power generation some of these plants are being converted to natural gas, but others will be shutdown completely and be replaced with combined cycle natural gas plants. These plants use a traditional natural gas turbine as well as a steam turbine capturing the waste heat for higher efficiency. Eventually combined cycle will run the thermal plants out of business as their 63% efficiency gives them an extremely competitive edge over the 40% of the thermal plants. These combined cycle plants will also have a similarly fast response time.

I don't think there is anyone that says we can immediately switch off of fossil fuel generation, at least not without building large hydro dams like BC or Quebec. But there are places that are trying to move that way, California has exceeded 30% of their total electricity from wind and solar, and during the peak of the day they often exceed 70% of their generation from it. Of course they are also the first to find the issues, but a lot of revolutionary technology has come from it. For instance all new solar systems in the state must come with grid reactive inverters, meaning the inverters are actually capable of assisting with grid stability, they cut output to reduce high voltage and high frequency excursions and can also boost voltage or frequency when those parameters fall below nominal levels. The inverters I have with my setup are capable of this, although Alberta has no such requirement for me to do this so the feature isn't enabled.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are Alberta's simple cycle "peaker plants". The first set of numbers is the max capacity of the plant, the second row is what they are producing right now, all numbers are in megawatts. Notice how there are only 3 running at partial capacity right now?

Screenshot (81).png

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have these standby plants in Alberta already, they are a necessity of any grid for stability.

Most of the simple cycle natural gas plants in Alberta are peaker plants, they are built to operate during short periods of high demand coincided by high power prices, ie in the evenings when demand peaks as people get home and cook supper, or during the coldest or hottest days when heating and cooling systems are working overtime. The vast majority of these plants are natural gas turbines that stay off when not needed and can start within 15 minutes with some now having a response time of just under 5 minutes. Just like your car these power plants don't use natural gas until started, with the exception of a small amount of energy to keep the building heated and the lights on.

The whole notion that natural gas power plants burn fuel as they sit "idle" is untrue. Thermal power plants (coal) are a different matter, the response time of these plants is many hours, making them best suited for base-load capacity. That being said with the 2030 Canada-wide phaseout of coal power generation some of these plants are being converted to natural gas, but others will be shutdown completely and be replaced with combined cycle natural gas plants. These plants use a traditional natural gas turbine as well as a steam turbine capturing the waste heat for higher efficiency. Eventually combined cycle will run the thermal plants out of business as their 63% efficiency gives them an extremely competitive edge over the 40% of the thermal plants. These combined cycle plants will also have a similarly fast response time.

I don't think there is anyone that says we can immediately switch off of fossil fuel generation, at least not without building large hydro dams like BC or Quebec. But there are places that are trying to move that way, California has exceeded 30% of their total electricity from wind and solar, and during the peak of the day they often exceed 70% of their generation from it. Of course they are also the first to find the issues, but a lot of revolutionary technology has come from it. For instance all new solar systems in the state must come with grid reactive inverters, meaning the inverters are actually capable of assisting with grid stability, they cut output to reduce high voltage and high frequency excursions and can also boost voltage or frequency when those parameters fall below nominal levels. The inverters I have with my setup are capable of this, although Alberta has no such requirement for me to do this so the feature isn't enabled.

How much of the grid is supplied by oil sands co gens? Once Lizzy and Justin get that all phased out there will be a big gap for solar and wind to take up.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much of the grid is supplied by oil sands co gens? Once Lizzy and Justin get that all phased out there will be a big gap for solar and wind to take up.

How much of that energy is also consumed by the oil sands? The amount of electricity used by the oil and gas industry is staggering, from gas compressors to pumps, lighting to electric heat trace. The same time that generation is switched off much of the load will disappear as well.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much of that energy is also consumed by the oil sands? The amount of electricity used by the oil and gas industry is staggering, from gas compressors to pumps, lighting to electric heat trace. The same time that generation is switched off much of the load will disappear as well.

The facility I worked at exported approx 80 percent of generation to the grid so about 120 megawatts. I am sure most of that was consumed by non oil and gas operations since most of those extraction facilities export electricity. Maybe things have changed. I haven't worked up there for10 years now.

Top Bottom