Gps help for a virgin

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sitting in front of my computor with my x-mas present. A brand new Garmin 60CSX and a copy of Garmin mapsource Topo canada CD-Rom. I have tried this several times and each time my palms get sweaty and hands start to shake lol.
Do I need to install the topo maps to my computer then to my gps?
Is there anything on my Gps prior to this?
After reading the posts on here I am not sure what to do, topo,sd,oiltraxs or all of the above.
I would really like to be able to start using this GPS without the inherent fear of the unknown. Any help for a scared s...less newbie would be greatly appreciated.
doorfx@yahoo.ca

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick looking at it and start planing with it. :rolleyes: ;) :eek: The Garmin Map 60CSX comes with a Base Map (Americans Recreational) that cannot be changed. When you in stall the Preprogramed Micro SD Cards, or the ones you programm youself there is a controll that you can use to select the one you want to display on you GPS screen. You post that you have a copy of the Garmin MapSource Topo Canada CD. If is on a CD there should be 4 disc's and it is Version 2. The latest V4 is on a single DVD. When you install this software in/on your computer, two things happen, one it will install the MapSource managing program, (Trip and Waypoint Manager) and second it will install the mapping, it will seem that it keeps asking you to install some thing :eek: Just follow the instructions. After you are finnished installing this program go to the Garmin Site and UpDate the Garmin MapSource for the latest Version 6.16.3 You will learn more as you start using this Unit. You have a users guide for the GPS, look on the Garmin Site/or GPS Central, for the instuctions for the MapSource Programs and how to send the Maps to the CARDS.

Bruce.:cool:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick looking at it and start planing with it. :rolleyes: ;) :eek: The Garmin Map 60CSX comes with a Base Map (Americans Recreational) that cannot be changed. When you in stall the Preprogramed Micro SD Cards, or the ones you programm youself there is a controll that you can use to select the one you want to display on you GPS screen. You post that you have a copy of the Garmin MapSource Topo Canada CD. If is on a CD there should be 4 disc's and it is Version 2. The latest V4 is on a single DVD. When you install this software in/on your computer, two things happen, one it will install the MapSource managing program, (Trip and Waypoint Manager) and second it will install the mapping, it will seem that it keeps asking you to install some thing :eek: Just follow the instructions. After you are finnished installing this program go to the Garmin Site and UpDate the Garmin MapSource for the latest Version 6.16.3 You will learn more as you start using this Unit. You have a users guide for the GPS, look on the Garmin Site/or GPS Central, for the instuctions for the MapSource Programs and how to send the Maps to the CARDS.

Bruce.:cool:
okay my heart is pounding .....but HERE I GO..... thankyou for the help.
yes it has four cd's. Even a receipt ,which I don't think I was supposed to find! Ouch she spent $500. on me for xmas lol just noticed it has a seperate disc for trip and waypoint manager in the gps box

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay my heart is pounding .....but HERE I GO..... thankyou for the help.
yes it has four cd's. Even a receipt ,which I don't think I was supposed to find! Ouch she spent $500. on me for xmas lol just noticed it has a seperate disc for trip and waypoint manager in the gps box

YOU TUBE is your friend. Just type in what ever your trying to do and some will have a short video on it.

Cheers and good luck.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YOU TUBE is your friend. Just type in what ever your trying to do and some will have a short video on it.

Cheers and good luck.

my first gamin was kind of a pain having to download the disc, transfer some numbers and verify with your gps. wife was on the phone for about half hour with a rep before figuring it out. now with the new rhino i just bought the sid card for western canada, stuck it behind the battery and walla.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my first gamin was kind of a pain having to download the disc, transfer some numbers and verify with your gps. wife was on the phone for about half hour with a rep before figuring it out. now with the new rhino i just bought the sid card for western canada, stuck it behind the battery and walla.

Garmin GPS Units do not have sin cards, they have preprogrammed mapping on SD Cards or Micro SD Cards. the only thing wrong with purchasing the perprogrammed data cards is :rolleyes:they will not install in/on your computer.

Bruce.

IG650

Reaction score
Garmin GPS Units do not have sin cards, they have preprogrammed mapping on SD Cards or Micro SD Cards. the only thing wrong with purchasing the perprogrammed data cards is :rolleyes:they will not install in/on your computer.

Bruce.

Give the Guy a break, he meant MicroSD card, or are we picking nits on the internet?

Irony here, whats a sin card?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it an SD card, a sin card or a sid card???? I've seen all three spellings in the last five or so posts.:d:d

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give the Guy a break, he meant MicroSD card, or are we picking nits on the internet?

Irony here, whats a sin card?

I am sorry for the misspelling, should have read sim card, a device that some of the cell phone companies install in their units and the owners can remove them for security reasons. :confused: and did you noticed that my spelling of the second preprogrammed was also wroug., I sure love Spell Check :cool:

Bruce.

Top Bottom