Gonna buy a winch truck......

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with all this f!@$&))&^$#@@$%&()(%^$%^ing rain, thinking of buying a winch truck before winter. would like to do my own gig but who is good to work for? cmon my snow and mud peoples help a brother out!!

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with all this f!@$&))&^$#@@$%&()(%^$%^ing rain, thinking of buying a winch truck before winter. would like to do my own gig but who is good to work for? cmon my snow and mud peoples help a brother out!!

A little far north for it, but my uncle has trucks in Benalto, seems his trucks never stop. I think he has 1 winch truck 2 bed trucks and 2(45 ton&35 ton) pickers(also has a backup picker truck 25 ton). Mostly does frac set ups.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What field are you looking to get into, Rig moving, Shack hauling, Equipment hauling? The way the economy is right now, you might be farther ahead buying a scissor neck with flip over beavertails ( by far the most versatile trailer) and going on your own. We had a couple of lease operators leave this spring to go on their own, and they are having a really good run. The Alberta economy looks strong for the foreseeable future. We can't keep up with the trucks that we have. On a side note, if your buying used, look at paying a premium for the '07 and older ( pre-emission) trucks. We just sent an '07 T8 winch to the auction and got about 1 1/2 times what it was worth.
:):beer:

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What field are you looking to get into, Rig moving, Shack hauling, Equipment hauling? The way the economy is right now, you might be farther ahead buying a scissor neck with flip over beavertails ( by far the most versatile trailer) and going on your own. We had a couple of lease operators leave this spring to go on their own, and they are having a really good run. The Alberta economy looks strong for the foreseeable future. We can't keep up with the trucks that we have. On a side note, if your buying used, look at paying a premium for the '07 and older ( pre-emission) trucks. We just sent an '07 T8 winch to the auction and got about 1 1/2 times what it was worth.
:):beer:

Stick with a kenworth or peterbilts. I work in a truck shop and to be brutally honest. Internationals, Freightliners, Westernstars, or Volvo are basically throw away trucks. The resale is better on kenworths and peterbilts to.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Equip prices are really strong. Big thing is to get established quickly and get away from paying up the ladder to work under someone else.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stick with a kenworth or peterbilts. I work in a truck shop and to be brutally honest. Internationals, Freightliners, Westernstars, or Volvo are basically throw away trucks. The resale is better on kenworths and peterbilts to.

I agree with you for resale on a pete or kw, but for an oilfield truck a western star is a stand up truck for sure! we have petes so our opinion is biased but its in the guy behind the wheel too!
they are all junk, just depends what shape of hood you like staring over!! lol

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Equip prices are really strong. Big thing is to get established quickly and get away from paying up the ladder to work under someone else.
are you offering me a job Haggis?!?!?!? lol

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

If your looking at leasing on somewhere stick with the big boys. There's no point in working third party for a contractor that feeds off of work falling out of a bucket. When it slows the contractor is the last called. I went through this last winter leased to a company. Good thing I have no truck payment.Go talk with Mullen in Leduc. T-force (Flint) is another big player. ATK in Edson, Northwell in Acheson, are a couple more to consider. They all have their faults though. Lol. Btw, how'd you do at the truck show?

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no trophies this year! not even a ribbon or sash! lol oh well i dont care, its just cool to head down and hang out!!

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not rule out the fast growing smaller companies - the biggest advantage with them is that you are important to their growth plans and likely play an important role in providing equipment that they do not have the means to acquire. In the area we are in 'the big boys' have yards full of trucks parked and looking very shiny right now. Our trucks roll in late every night covered in mud. When you have lots of equipment you have to keep more employees and lease ops happy during the slower times - that means fewer hours for everyone - as what work there is has to be rationed out.

Top Bottom