Going to boost my 2013 xm 163 which turbo do i pick

cheeky24

Reaction score
Hey guys so I have been doing a fair bit of research on turbo kits for the xm's and rather than bying a new sled because I only have 1500 km on my 13 I figure i will throw a little boost to her. The majority of my riding is steep and deep it the tight trees but come spring I like to hill climb. I find this sled awesome in the early season but lacking in the spring. Which kit would best suite my riding, I want reliability with a few extra HP. The kits i'm most interested in are the TSS and the areocharger. Which do you guys perfer. Thanks Kyle

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend and I have been looking into a low boost kit from the guys at powerhouse in revy. We were quoted 5500 next day return. That was last winter tho

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kyle ?
Why wouldn't you pick a good builder and go BB?
Gives you that bit extra and a couple out there seem to run strong.
A lot less $$$ also

cheeky24

Reaction score
Kinda out of the loop when it comes to big bores, the ones I rode with were P.O.S. Who makes a good one for the XM

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda out of the loop when it comes to big bores, the ones I rode with were P.O.S. Who makes a good one for the XM

Have had three different ptec BB from different builders .
Not going to get into whose is better as that is only my opinion .
Do your research and talk to folks that run them .
tukernater on hear is a no BS fella as well as I am sure others that will give you a strait answer.
A couple good ones have been mentioned all ready.

Last edited:

cheeky24

Reaction score
Seems for the money of a BB Guy might be better of just throwung the boost to it

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've run both 880s and 860s on ptecs they were ok.. But boost is way funner in my opinion.. and when your done with the sled you can put it back to stock.

mctrailboss

Reaction score
I've done both also and there is no comparison. Boosted all the way. As for brand, sounds like many good ones to choose. I have had 7000kms on an aerocharger kit at 9lbs and absolutely love it. I would go with them again. just my 2cents tho.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chit 7000 km is really good, which kit did you run

IMO. Etec cranks still don't like boost. I know a handful of riders (sponsered also) who's turbo etecs to down with regularity. 700-1000 km and boom. I'd love to boost my xm but I don't want the hassle. If I were to do it low boost would be the only kit i would consider. I did a 860 this summer and for the money a turbo wouldn't be much more. But I wanna ride 45 + days every winter.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know my 2011 crank didnt like boost.. Took 2500 km to drop though.. My 13 has 6000km on it but only 500 on boost so far.. Im gonna run it till it blows too.. On this sled I am very careful on how much oil i run through it, after each ride i meter how much went through the pump and add to the av gas what i need to be at 19:1.. Time will tell if it helps.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know my 2011 crank didnt like boost.. Took 2500 km to drop though.. My 13 has 6000km on it but only 500 on boost so far.. Im gonna run it till it blows too.. On this sled I am very careful on how much oil i run through it, after each ride i meter how much went through the pump and add to the av gas what i need to be at 19:1.. Time will tell if it helps.

But extra oil won't help for crank life. But should help for piston life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO. Etec cranks still don't like boost. I know a handful of riders (sponsered also) who's turbo etecs to down with regularity. 700-1000 km and boom. I'd love to boost my xm but I don't want the hassle. If I were to do it low boost would be the only kit i would consider. I did a 860 this summer and for the money a turbo wouldn't be much more. But I wanna ride 45 + days every winter.
3000 boosted miles (yes miles) on the crank on my 2013 without a problem. I ran it all last year at 10 - 12 lbs of boost. I'd say that's pretty good mileage.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3000 boosted miles (yes miles) on the crank on my 2013 without a problem. I ran it all last year at 10 - 12 lbs of boost. I'd say that's pretty good mileage.

Thats impressive. I wish they all lasted like that. What kit are you running ?

• Recommends
Reactions: DUS

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The extra oil coming from the boosted up oil pump and from the extra added in the fuel will for sure help with the rod bearings.. Its not the crank bearings failing under boost its the rods, they dry out and poof... I already found that out..

And ya lol i've pulled a few stockers down the mountain too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom