Go Pro Sunlight + Snow light washout fix

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have alot of ruined footage when driving into the sun and in more open areas. the light washes out the footage and all you see is the snowmobile in a sea of white. this is not with the newest go pro but the version before. hero 2?

anyways came accrossthis.

ordered some so i will give it a try and let you know! i know depsnolvr has been having the same problems i have been

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I found one day this winter that that happened. It seems that as the sun gets higher in the sky, the problem is accentuated. My footage was a blue bird day on Frisby, early March in among the snow ghosts and lots of fresh. Totally wasted footage on the Contour Roam.

I think the polarized would help and there are filters available for the Contour. Maybe for the GoPro also.....:)

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have alot of ruined footage when driving into the sun and in more open areas. the light washes out the footage and all you see is the snowmobile in a sea of white. this is not with the newest go pro but the version before. hero 2?

anyways came accrossthis.

ordered some so i will give it a try and let you know! i know depsnolvr has been having the same problems i have been

extremely frustrated with this a well. as a matter of fact i just finished editing a now very short video from an epic day in the sun yesterday. 99% of the footage is a washout. GoPro could not help me at all when asked. i will post my whitewashed vid here, when its finished uploading. But frankly I think I am done with gopro. On another note, shifty423 filmed the same location and timing and his video looks great? Mine is the original gopro and his is the hero2 although max says he is getting the issues with the hero2 as well?

Is the drift really better? cuz i sure aint brand loyal when it comes to helmet cameras and what is there latest model?

Just talked to shifty, he is recording on 960 and im on 1080....would that make a difference on how it handles sunlight?

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
extremely frustrated with this a well. as a matter of fact i just finished editing a now very short video from an epic day in the sun yesterday. 99% of the footage is a washout. GoPro could not help me at all when asked. i will post my whitewashed vid here, when its finished uploading. But frankly I think I am done with gopro. On another note, shifty423 filmed the same location and timing and his video looks great? Mine is the original gopro and his is the hero2 although max says he is getting the issues with the hero2 as well?

Is the drift really better? cuz i sure aint brand loyal when it comes to helmet cameras and what is there latest model?

Just talked to shifty, he is recording on 960 and im on 1080....would that make a difference on how it handles sunlight?

960 VS 1080 would use more compression at 1080 than at 960 and therefore not able to adjust as quickly to changing light situations, or process the sun as it should?

the polarized filters are definitely a help if they work as designed, could probably find a bulk sheet of the material and cut to fit any helmet camera.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you sure yours is the origional? i thought we bought them at the same sled show same year

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
max on the hero 2 which i beleive is 1080. thats the max it will let you turn it to on youtube so must be 1080

I'd be curious to see if you get the same result as shifty by turning it down to 960 or lower.....

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but what are you mounting the camera on ....the forward facing it's on your helmet, the shots of your sled and you, its mounted on a pole? attched how? Any pictures or brand name>>>

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but what are you mounting the camera on ....the forward facing it's on your helmet, the shots of your sled and you, its mounted on a pole? attched how? Any pictures or brand name>>>

lol, sweet angle isnt it? great group of peeps on this forum making them. Bigbubby and codered306
email hardoncameramounts@hotmail.com for info.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The easiest solution I found to this was to lose my GoPro 2 this winter while riding.

Never have to fiddle with it anymore :)

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, my original GP and my GP 960 had significant washout on the really bright snow days. The new GP 3 Black Edition I've been using has no issue with this.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you are right because I just lost an entire day of footage from likely the best day of the year. I will be borrowing a friends black before I purchase another gopro

Top Bottom