General Question?

Big-T

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just have a question I'm trying to figure out the best answer to, and how to run a service shop I work at.

Question for all of you who bring your vehicles, atv, snowmobiles, etc etc to ANY service shop, for any of your products. If you had to get something fixed, and were given two options which would you choose?

A ) - Scheduled appointment, with the possibility of the shop being booked up for a few weeks? Where your equipment is touched & looked at either same day, or next day.

B ) - First come first serve basis, and a chance of your equipment not even being looked at for a chance of a few weeks, due to how ever many pieces of equipment are ahead of you.

Just looking for which you would all prefer and open to suggestions. I'm thinking a combination of both, mechanics who are working on scheduled/appointment based jobs, and a tech who is the "floater" taking in those guys who just need something quick & small.

Thanks for your time, and ideas.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I'm more than qualifies to answer this question with 200 days on snow in 2 seasons attempting to bend and break every component on my sled.

you need a floater !!!
in golden the shops have the big projects like rebiulding motors and wrecked sleds that will take a week or so. Then some dude from outa town on his holiday rolls in and just needs a quik diagnosis to clear a code or something that is 1 hour or less work. He wants to get out there that day with his bro's and can't wait til next week to fix it. there has to be some sort of balance or your just turning away easy $$$. I often bribe with beer to get my quik fixes in and out. the 2 shops in golden are great for exactly this and want to keep the outa-towners happy too. I know its hard to be in the middle of a big indepth project and keep getting called away from it, but you job is to put as much $$$ thru the til as possible and this is the differance between good techs and great techs. although it can affect productivity and makes job cards and hours alocated difficult to keep acurate. Flexibility is the key to your line of work, you know how it is, when it rains it pours. Wot some shops do is work on big projects after hours or sundays so there are no interuptions. wot do your staff think? thier input is very important
There needs to be some scheduled appointments without a doubt as this is the bread and butter of your business, but guys with wrecked sleds have to expect some interuptions to their job.
How ever when I'm told it will be ready to be picked up by 6pm I expect that !!!

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have managed shops for over 15 years.i always ran it with appointments,but always had room for the quick fixes or emergency repairs that came in during the day.also had it where if we had to stay late to stay caught up we would,many overtime hours if required

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riverside Yamaha runs both, Saturdays it's on a first come first serve free for all.
Sometimes it beats having your machine sitting out in the lot for a week or two waiting to get work done. I prefer the booked appt's myself, knowing that it's going to get worked on at a certain date. But these guys are so busy, that it's usually a 2 week wait before they can look at it.

Sent from my iPad

Big-T

Reaction score
There needs to be some scheduled appointments without a doubt as this is the bread and butter of your business, but guys with wrecked sleds have to expect some interuptions to their job.
How ever when I'm told it will be ready to be picked up by 6pm I expect that !!!

I agree with that a 100% and I do my best to not say something if I dont mean it!

I have managed shops for over 15 years.i always ran it with appointments,but always had room for the quick fixes or emergency repairs that came in during the day.also had it where if we had to stay late to stay caught up we would,many overtime hours if required

Ya, OT is something based on how far behind, or how important the job/customer.

Riverside Yamaha runs both, Saturdays it's on a first come first serve free for all.
Sometimes it beats having your machine sitting out in the lot for a week or two waiting to get work done. I prefer the booked appt's myself, knowing that it's going to get worked on at a certain date. But these guys are so busy, that it's usually a 2 week wait before they can look at it.

At the momment we are Mon-Fri, there was some talk about a Tuesday-Sat, but alot of the staff didn't seem to take to this idea..

Ya ideally there is no "perfect" setup.. I have customers who complain about other shops having their machine for weeks and it hasn't even moved, but then I also have customers crying because it's 3 weeks away for an appointment... there will always be people who cry about service i think.. it's just finding a way that doesn't burn out your tech's or myself.

I think the idea of either a floater, just to do the services, codes/sensors, tires in the summer months, and then apointment based for my other tech's would be the better setup.

I appreciate the ideas & input!

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think beyond the two scenarios you have presented there is another thing to consider. I have been on both ends of the spectrum. I ran my own automotive shop for years in the early 90's and was just as guilty as the guys who upset me now. If I walk into a shop that no-one smiles or gives me the attitude I'm too busy to help you,you will have to wait your turn attitude then I probably won't be back. If the service writer is sympathetic to whatever the problem is,Gives me a few minutes of undivided attention to find out the problem and even if it is a three week wait I will respect whatever position his shop is in. If he is looking for sympathy because he is too busy or because he feels his boss needs to hire more people that isn't my fault. There is a certain dealer close by that sells all the toys I purchase but I can't bring myself to deal there. Their service writers are rude,their Parts people are rude and their salesman have never once come over and asked if they could help if I'm browsing something. I drive out of town to deal and have great help at other dealers so I honestly don't think its my attitude that brings on their unprofessionalism.(I could be wrong Im only human) So back to my Point if you are honest and sincere and friendly that goes a loooong way to repeat customers. I definitely feel you need a floater to fill in those last minute jobs. However in slow times they are sometimes the hardest to keep busy. There is never an easy answer to service. and 5% of the customers will never be satisfied no matter how the job goes….and thats hard on the remaining 95% because it sours the service writer or parts man for the next unassuming customer who walks in.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A mix of both for sure. I had a shop that squeezed me in for a tire this summer on the day I left for a 2500km treck and I will use them again in the future... Not a place I'd normally stop at either so good on em!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just have a question I'm trying to figure out the best answer to, and how to run a service shop I work at.

Question for all of you who bring your vehicles, atv, snowmobiles, etc etc to ANY service shop, for any of your products. If you had to get something fixed, and were given two options which would you choose?

A ) - Scheduled appointment, with the possibility of the shop being booked up for a few weeks? Where your equipment is touched & looked at either same day, or next day.

B ) - First come first serve basis, and a chance of your equipment not even being looked at for a chance of a few weeks, due to how ever many pieces of equipment are ahead of you.

Just looking for which you would all prefer and open to suggestions. I'm thinking a combination of both, mechanics who are working on scheduled/appointment based jobs, and a tech who is the "floater" taking in those guys who just need something quick & small.

Thanks for your time, and ideas.

Well I have to say after running a auto shop u have to do both.

Biggest thing with the week booked up is say the brakes are grinding.

U order pads and rotors.

Get it in and cause the thing was drove for a week the caliper is leaking or pistons won't go back in.

Now u have to rebook a week away to get back in cause Ur booked for a week.

One thing is y I left running the place and went back to pulling wrenches and not both..

Is the juggling of trying to fit it in sooner and rescheduling people , coming early , staying late to keep it going smooth was over rated.

The floater in most cases is an apprentice , which is somewhat unfair as they need experience , but changing oil ect isn't experience....

Just my 2 cents.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Last edited:
Top Bottom