General Contractor Question

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all want 30 bucks an hour but can't even read a tape measure to an eighth of an inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although it is a tax write off

They both are... The diff is Wcb is brutal to deal with. Takes 3 months to get a red fackin cent from them. Where as private is better pay. Larger payouts if serious injury.. Etc. if ya want a good insurance broker pm me!

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They both are... The diff is Wcb is brutal to deal with. Takes 3 months to get a red fackin cent from them. Where as private is better pay. Larger payouts if serious injury.. Etc. if ya want a good insurance broker pm me!

Noted, who do you use?

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing with this Alberta weather I'm having water leaks in this new house already!!One was from where the deck is going to be attached and the water got in behind the siding and came in the basement behind my day old drywall!!The mudder/taper was upstairs when the water started dripping below bay window in kitchen!!I don't even have cabinets in yet!!!I can see how this is going to go!!!!Not happy camper!!!But I can see I'll be getting hit up for some more cash again!!!

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure he used the proper flashings where the deck is joining the house, tyvek should also be run behind the main deck header, if the siding isn't on yet and you have leaks around your windows make sure they are either tuck taped all the way around, or blue skinned to seal as well as the flashing above all windows, code now requires the flashing above windows to have corner notches to channel the water forward instead of down the sides of the window . Hope that helps ya out

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do not use tuck tape. That chit is only good for fixing framers tail lights. Blue skin or comparable product. And only top and sides of windows. You want any water that might get in to come out bottom. I own masonry company and deal with enigineers daily about this. Flashing above windows and doors does require min 1" end dam. If all is done properly will never have leak. Building envelope is a lot more critiqued than ever before as I require engineers inspection after my prep work is done, prior to any work being done. Any engineering firm will come out and inspect it. Spend the few hundred dollars to ensure no one cutting corners.

Last edited:

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do not use tuck tape. That chit is only good for fixing framers tail lights. Blue skin or comparable product. And only top and sides of windows. You want any water that might get in to come out bottom. I own masonry company and deal with enigineers daily about this. Flashing above windows and doors does require min 1" end dam. If all is done properly will never have leak. Building envelope is a lot more critiqued than ever before as I require engineers inspection after my prep work is done, prior to any work being done. Any engineering firm will come out and inspect it. Spend the few hundred dollars to ensure no one cutting corners.

Lol @ the tail lights, blue skin is far superior, although in a pinch tuck tape does suffice and meets envelope requirements. Typically I used to run it around the complete window simply because most siders do half azzed work when it comes to the windows and known seepage areas. Back when I used to build complete homes we actually used a bead of silicone around the nailing flange then the blue skin , never had a leak once

Top Bottom