General Contractor Question

TeenWolf

Reaction score
I think you hired someone to do construction management not a general contractor. 20% is way to much for someone not fronting the bills, supplying new home warranty etc. 20% is a lot to make some phone calls.

When you're organizing, scheduling, and answering for any problems 20% is not nearly enough for the stress lol. You can save a lot of money by "making your own phone calls" but you can also waste those saving from improper project management.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20% is fair if they are responsible for supplying trades and scheduling project. It's not easy work. 1 screw up can cause all sorts of issues with scheduling as most trades I know are pretty busy so hard to get back if job not ready when supposed to be etc... I am not a general contractor but curious at to what they pay Wcb for?? Don't all trades have Wcb of there own??

TeenWolf

Reaction score
20% is fair if they are responsible for supplying trades and scheduling project. It's not easy work. 1 screw up can cause all sorts of issues with scheduling as most trades I know are pretty busy so hard to get back if job not ready when supposed to be etc... I am not a general contractor but curious at to what they pay Wcb for?? Don't all trades have Wcb of there own??

You still need your own WCB. and it also covers your employees as well. And if some trades don't have it your WCB covers them aswell.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You still need your own WCB. and it also covers your employees as well. And if some trades don't have it your WCB covers them aswell.

You said it, and it isn't cheap either , just for myself it's 2700 a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Understood. Who would hire a trade without Wcb?? If they were injured on your site wouldn't your premiums go through roof??

TeenWolf

Reaction score
Understood. Who would hire a trade without Wcb?? If they were injured on your site wouldn't your premiums go through roof??

Potentially. Some smaller one man show trades may not have have WCB. Say you hired a guy to paint a mural on a wall. He may not have any type of WCB or insurance. He's just a freelance artist.

$2700? How much us your personal coverage. I pay about $800 for just me. But my personal coverage is only $50k

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Potentially. Some smaller one man show trades may not have have WCB. Say you hired a guy to paint a mural on a wall. He may not have any type of WCB or insurance. He's just a freelance artist.

$2700? How much us your personal coverage. I pay about $800 for just me. But my personal coverage is only $50k
I was gonna say.... He should look into cutting Wcb to minimum coverage and getting "real" disability ins. Would likely be wayyyy better and not a lot diff price.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that due to industry your in?? Or do you cover yourself for actual income??

That's because of industry , covers me to a max of 60k year

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wcb coverage is based on the the type of work your doing, as well as the wages you pay your employees or yourself

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But you also have to claim your subs on your annual report too right?

Yes, but didn't have any this last year so the 2700 is just my own coverage

TeenWolf

Reaction score
Wcb coverage is based on the the type of work your doing, as well as the wages you pay your employees or yourself

Ya I don't have employees or hire subs

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't usually either, but occasionally need them so have to add them on once in a while

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have full time guys. Rarely use subs but sometimes have too. Only use guys with there own Wcb though as I'm not flipping the bill for there carelessness although accidents do happen. Storm you should really look into private ins instead of that much Wcb. I only cover myself for $22k yr through Wcb. With short term and long term etc... Was less than Wcb.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I May have to, it's a good chunk of change for sure

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although it is a tax write off

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that if they don't know at least as much as I do, then it ain't worth the headache lol

Top Bottom