Garage pad ?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Edmonton's was posted in the last page, there is no standard for all of alberta on it, but most cities are extremely similar.

Ok. I am going to do research on Leduc and I will look in the code book also. I have no idea what the rule is so can't comment.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You said 3.5", which is not 4". You didn't say 2x4 in the first post, you said 3.5". There's a difference.

Obviously I was using the actuall lumber size not the trade size. Jesus your like my kids knit picking. It's like I say it's 4 o'clock and my daughter says no daddy it's 3:56.

Last edited:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. I am going to do research on Leduc and I will look in the code book also. I have no idea what the rule is so can't comment.

Most codes should be generally the same except some areas might have a different minimum
siZe square footage where a footing is required vs just a slab with a thickened perimeter.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
according to alberta building code i'll look up the section tomorrow, any garage over 592 ft2 requires a slab thickening, over 790 requires engineered drawings

here are some other fun facts.....average snow load allowance is 30lbs/ft2, roof load, 40lbs/ft2, walls with drywall, 15lbs/ft2, shingles, if you put up a ceiling thats another 10lbs/ft2, so thats 95lb/ft2 not including windows which are around 8lbs/ft2 and your other finishes, brick, siding ect. ....so on a 20x20 garage that is a total of 38,000 pound/ft2 divide that by the 2 load bearing walls that gives you 19,000 lbs/ft2 sq

20 ft of wall at 3 1/2 inches for the sill plate = 70 sf2 of area on the ground 19000/70=270lbs/ft2........i myself dont want that sitting on my 4" thick slab especially on the edge of it

mikesky

Reaction score
Didn't you have to specify the details on the application for the permit?

Yes I did. I thought curb will be better, however my friend told me that just a regular pad is cheaper and easier to do it.

The only thing I saw what will happen to the garage after certain period of time and how wood become rotten due to a water leakage under the garage (another of my friends is fixing this issue right now on his by installing a curb).
I can always change the curb/no card details on the permit as it is free of charge to do it lol.

Just don't want to see any cracks on my pad or any water inside the garage.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
please for your own sake put in a thickening, for the extra cost it guarantee's your good to go.....remember a weight load on the edge of a slab has a much great impact that in the field. if your garage is going to be at the low end of a slope a curb is a good idea, if it is at the high end of the yard i wouldnt bother

Yes I did. I thought curb will be better, however my friend told me that just a regular pad is cheaper and easier to do it.

The only thing I saw what will happen to the garage after certain period of time and how wood become rotten due to a water leakage under the garage (another of my friends is fixing this issue right now on his by installing a curb).
I can always change the curb/no card details on the permit as it is free of charge to do it lol.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
according to alberta building code i'll look up the section tomorrow, any garage over 592 ft2 requires a slab thickening, over 790 requires engineered drawings

here are some other fun facts.....average snow load allowance is 30lbs/ft2, roof load, 40lbs/ft2, walls with drywall, 15lbs/ft2, shingles, if you put up a ceiling thats another 10lbs/ft2, so thats 95lb/ft2 not including windows which are around 8lbs/ft2 and your other finishes, brick, siding ect. ....so on a 20x20 garage that is a total of 38,000 pound/ft2 divide that by the 2 load bearing walls that gives you 19,000 lbs/ft2 sq

20 ft of wall at 3 1/2 inches for the sill plate = 70 sf2 of area on the ground 19000/70=270lbs/ft2........i myself dont want that sitting on my 4" thick slab especially on the edge of it
I'd check your numbers, they are a tiny bit off to say the least. If there was that kind of weight I'd agree 4" is undersized, but your numbers are grossly high.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Grade must be 6" below untreated wood so see how it works for you. Many times curb are needs to keep slope on driveway low.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now if you want to stop slabs from cracking (clay included) the best thing i have ever found is lay down some fabric. Not one single crack in any slab since i started using this method ( not approved of coarse). After tramping in clay with boots that seemed 4 inch taller i layed this ch!t down just to keep my boots clean...the results where amazing. It even keeps the gravel from sinking into the clay. One more thing...no concrete over the gas line.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
yea by code no detached can be put over an underground gas line........and cyle you may be right the snow load is closer to 35lbs/ft2 in edm, the other one was for farther north.....but those #'s come from alberta building standards.......but you must know more than them too right?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

And I forgot to mention the obvious mis calculation.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea by code no detached can be put over an underground gas line........and cyle you may be right the snow load is closer to 35lbs/ft2 in edm, the other one was for farther north.....but those #'s come from alberta building standards.......but you must know more than them too right?
All your material weights are insanely high. Shingles for example are around 4lbs per sq/ft. In what universe is CD board 10 lbs a sq/ft? More like under 3.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garage no over gas line. Concrete alone is perfectly fine though.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to figure it out tonight but I will gaurantee you a 20x20 garage weights around 10k tops. A far cry from the mid 20s you are claiming.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
cieling includes fixtures, drywall and required framing........yes shingles are 5lbs......i give you that.....but remeber all of that is with out any other add ons, that is framed sheeted base building........not including electrical, not including mechanical.....

your hugely underestimating the dead lod of a structure if you think it is less than a truck

Top Bottom