Basement Floor Insulation

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is best to put over a concrete slab basement floor for insulation? We have an unfinished basement that we are going to slowly begin to start finishing (really need a storage room soon) and would like to have a somewhat warm floor to walk on. The house is 3 years old and we haven't lived in it quite a year yet but there is no sign of water infiltration or damp spots, and the sump hasn't had a drop of water in it yet that I can tell.

So what's best? Foam sheets such as durofoam with strapping at 24"or 16" centers and plywood or osb on top. Or just foam sheets with a floating top. Or is there something better.

Our basement is a walkout so what is best to do with the door? Is it best to remove it and raise it up the height of insulation added?

On top of this I think at some point we'll want another source of heat in the basement, gas or wood fireplace is one option, so is in floor heating. Is there a type of hydronic (not looking at electric due to energy costs) in floor heat that doesn't require concrete to be poured over the top of the tubes? Or is it best to have this extra mass for better temperature regulation?

Thanks in advance for the help.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my basement i used dricore subfloor r+ (scroll down in the link).

http://dricore.com/nw/index.php

Really happy with it, i put carpet overtop. Much warmer than before without any insulation. Only had it in for 2yrs so far but all is good. You can put it in yourself, shimming is a little bit of a pain but not too bad (i am a bit of a perfectionist).

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my experience, a decent underlay with carpet is suitable.

Another option is to call Terry from Titian Flooring. He is a straight shooter, would never recommend anything if it isn't worth it, and also loves to sled. If you want his number, just PM me.

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its hard to believe but we put the vinyl plank drop and done down. Its water proof and basically life proof. Its maybe a 1/4 thick but for some reason it is warm. I go downstairs in barefeet all the time and dont get cold.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put cork down on-top of 6mil poly and you would have thought I had infloor heat.

That is what I put down on the floor over the concrete in the wife's yoga room and no compliant's from her or any of the local ladies!!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of just insulating, or putting a insulating underlay in due to cost. I'm sure it will be warmer, just worried about the walkout end of the basement, the slab is 10c colder there than the dug in end of the basement.

Not sure which way to go at this point, cost will decide I guess.

Just need to wait till stores open this week and start doing some pricing.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of just insulating, or putting a insulating underlay in due to cost. I'm sure it will be warmer, just worried about the walkout end of the basement, the slab is 10c colder there than the dug in end of the basement.

Not sure which way to go at this point, cost will decide I guess.

Just need to wait till stores open this week and start doing some pricing.
Cork is a natural insulator, go with the thick 10mm stuff.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is definitely the product I had in my mind, now just to find pricing and such.

And I guess see what it would take to put a heating boiler in as well.

Thanks
Sounds pricey.
If your gonna do that why not get infloor and pour 1 or 2 more inches of cement or self level in your entire basement.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is definitely the product I had in my mind, now just to find pricing and such.

And I guess see what it would take to put a heating boiler in as well.

Thanks
my cost 9 bucks shipped to Alberta, I know as I just ordered some and install it, not cheap but 2 options new construction and Reno, just lay floor overtop. If you want see samples I have some in Edmonton after holidays, pm me for more info. Thx

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep cost is high, I do combi boiler in floor and domestic and save more, that is 9bucks sqft, $$$ buy great results

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Warmboard is not just foam, not even close, no foam at all

You're right. But I still think I would need insulation under the warmboard, I'm concerned I'm loosing a lot of heat out through my slab on the at grade end of my basement. with it being -10c outside my slab is barely 7c on that end and is about 17c on the other end. I don't want to put heat into it just to loose it out the slab. Now obviously there should have been insulation under this portion of the slab but I'm not sure this was done, and I have no way of proving it without digging something up.

After doing more digging on this I think I'm really beginning to lean away from infloor heat. I like doing things myself as much as possible and this really seems outside of my realm for what I can do. Not to mention that to do it properly I need a permit pulled, and then the City wants drawings from an Engineer or certified installer which really seems to make what I thought would be a straight forward project more complicated and costly.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy the foam version of warmboard for a loooooooot less. It's 1" thick tho, I think warmboard is thinner. But the foam still has the grid and everything. Wait till you are ready for a new water heater, then get a combi for sure. All my stuff is in floor heat, and I heat 3500' of house and 4000' of shop for 120-140 month in the winter. Also, nice bit of info, frontier supply will get you all of your engineered drawings, and design your zone system for you FREE if you buy all your supplies from them. Saves you about 1500$

If not going in floor, get the reflectix insulation and tuck tape seams, then do floating floor over it. Did my last house which had an unheated half basement. Works amazing, but kinda pricey.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would get Hilti and drill few holes you will see if insulation was used, I will pm you when I have a few more min and fill you in on things you can do yourself as I am all about people saving money. Some things do better then others, not like you need it done in am, lol post the area you are working with and what you have now for heat....then I'll fill you in, as I am dealing with a old farm house in onaway area with same prob but his issue is budget, ✌️

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're right. But I still think I would need insulation under the warmboard, I'm concerned I'm loosing a lot of heat out through my slab on the at grade end of my basement. with it being -10c outside my slab is barely 7c on that end and is about 17c on the other end. I don't want to put heat into it just to loose it out the slab. Now obviously there should have been insulation under this portion of the slab but I'm not sure this was done, and I have no way of proving it without digging something up.

After doing more digging on this I think I'm really beginning to lean away from infloor heat. I like doing things myself as much as possible and this really seems outside of my realm for what I can do. Not to mention that to do it properly I need a permit pulled, and then the City wants drawings from an Engineer or certified installer which really seems to make what I thought would be a straight forward project more complicated and costly.
Could drill a hole in the slab where it is cold to check for foam.

Hold them to it, get what you paid for.

Top Bottom