Sauna build.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We haven't had an in-house sauna for quite a few years now. When we did the layout for the basement it was difficult to really do what we wanted to do because of the bearing walls and previous framing by the contractor to accommodate the main floor floor plan. So the sauna is a little small but still plenty of room for 2 people.

Bought a 6kw SaunaCore heater (c/w controller) with rocks so that the "dribble the cedar ladle full of water on the rocks trick" will feel great with the super-heated steam coming down on the shoulders. Our oldest son asked, "are you getting a heater with rocks?" (he remembers that when he was a youngster in the previous sauna we had in the NWT). Two walls were already insulated, so I only needed one bag of insulation. Enough cedar to cover the walls and ceiling, build some benches, lay down a cedar floor covering, and make a cedar door. I bought some wiring, a marine light, a roll of tin foil (I didn't go all out and buy the heavy duty stuff), and will expect to pay the electrician about $400 to connect the controller to the heater and put in a 30 amp breaker in the panel. Total cost to date is $3,180 (excluding the bill for the electrician).

IMG_5486.jpeg

IMG_5487.jpeg

IMG_5488.jpeg

IMG_5500.jpeg

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in this as I have been planning the same thing.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just for clarification. The cedar will go over top of the foil??? Or is there something between the two? I see your doing inside your home, mine will be in a shed, currently has osb exterior walls.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
When you build the benches, use clear cedar. The knots heat up
Yes, this isn't my first rodeo! I am taking a chance and using "tight knot" T&G on the walls which may give me the same problem but I am thinking I don't lean against the wall very much and a towel on my back is a little cheaper.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
just for clarification. The cedar will go over top of the foil??? Or is there something between the two? I see your doing inside your home, mine will be in a shed, currently has osb exterior walls.
Yes it will. The OSB won't be a problem but I would suggest 2x5 walls for better insulation. If it is 2x4, shim it out to 2x6 on the inside.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it will. The OSB won't be a problem but I would suggest 2x5 walls for better insulation. If it is 2x4, shim it out to 2x6 on the inside.

2x6 walls.. does the foil replace the vapor barrier or should both be used? Appreciate the information

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A good day today. Walls are done; door frame in, baseboard done, 45 degree corner joints done, heater hung (waiting for the electrician to hook it up to the controller/power), and the electrical box is sealed and covered. I forgot about a couple of vents so that is for tomorrow and then start on the benches. The first day of working with the T&G wasn't a great day; seemed like a lot of misshaped boards and a couple of the corners got a little out of line. Noticed it a little late and I decided not to take it off and change it. All in all, quite happy and looking forward to a nice day of riding and a "bath" in the sauna when we get home.

IMG_5561.jpeg
IMG_5562.jpeg

IMG_5563.jpeg

IMG_5564.jpeg

IMG_5565.jpeg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Benches framed, except in front of the heater (leaving room for the electrician to hook the wires up), door made and hung, and pull wire installed to pull in the interior thermocouple. Need a little more material as I don't have enough for the floor. Get that tomorrow or Thursday. Insulate the door and put on the interior cedar boards. Door trim and stops still to get a handle on. Coming along just fine.

IMG_5582.jpeg

IMG_5581.jpeg

IMG_5579.jpeg

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very nice work Doug. Does the heater have a zero clearance design?

Top Bottom