Basement Floor Insulation

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy the foam version of warmboard for a loooooooot less. It's 1" thick tho, I think warmboard is thinner. But the foam still has the grid and everything. Wait till you are ready for a new water heater, then get a combi for sure. All my stuff is in floor heat, and I heat 3500' of house and 4000' of shop for 120-140 month in the winter. Also, nice bit of info, frontier supply will get you all of your engineered drawings, and design your zone system for you FREE if you buy all your supplies from them. Saves you about 1500$

If not going in floor, get the reflectix insulation and tuck tape seams, then do floating floor over it. Did my last house which had an unheated half basement. Works amazing, but kinda pricey.

when did frontier supply you,

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not as if you buy the entire floor to check out what is warm on your tootsies, a couple of small samples and you will see the light.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30c413bebe3f6b6aece2d0a4507bfc20.jpg

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy the foam version of warmboard for a loooooooot less. It's 1" thick tho, I think warmboard is thinner. But the foam still has the grid and everything. Wait till you are ready for a new water heater, then get a combi for sure. All my stuff is in floor heat, and I heat 3500' of house and 4000' of shop for 120-140 month in the winter. Also, nice bit of info, frontier supply will get you all of your engineered drawings, and design your zone system for you FREE if you buy all your supplies from them. Saves you about 1500$

If not going in floor, get the reflectix insulation and tuck tape seams, then do floating floor over it. Did my last house which had an unheated half basement. Works amazing, but kinda pricey.

I like the idea of replacing with a combi unit, but current heater is 3 years old and only used for last 8 months as house sat empty 2 years before we bought so it will probably be a while before I need a new unit.

Could drill a hole in the slab where it is cold to check for foam.

Hold them to it, get what you paid for.

I could, and probably should do that. Problem is the builder is in the process of closing up shop, would really hate to find out I have no insulation, have the floor tore out and then have them walk away because the builder shuts down and refuses to pay. I fought for 3 months with them to fix the $200 in attic insulation they shorted me, could only imagine what this would take.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have furnace ducting down there? Or do you need the floor heat as a primary heat source?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have furnace ducting down there? Or do you need the floor heat as a primary heat source?

I have furnace ducting in the basement, but would like a second heat source, we usually keep our heat turned down a little and use the gas fireplace on the main floor and would like to do something similar in the basement.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have furnace ducting in the basement, but would like a second heat source, we usually keep our heat turned down a little and use the gas fireplace on the main floor and would like to do something similar in the basement.

Floor heat is an expensive option, but believe me, it's really not hard. It's just very time consuming. Don't be scared away from it unless it blows your budget. I wouldn't have another house without it. It will also save you money heating upstairs as the temps will be way more consistent, and you know, heat rises.

However if you have ducting, and want a fireplace anyways, (who doesn't) decent insulation and flooring might be the more reasonable way to do it.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Floor heat is an expensive option, but believe me, it's really not hard. It's just very time consuming. Don't be scared away from it unless it blows your budget. I wouldn't have another house without it. It will also save you money heating upstairs as the temps will be way more consistent, and you know, heat rises.

However if you have ducting, and want a fireplace anyways, (who doesn't) decent insulation and flooring might be the more reasonable way to do it.

I would like the comfort of it, and would be a great selling feature. Budget is a big thing, but this is why I'm trying to figure out what it will take to do what we want now. I would like to start on it this winter, but if it means waiting a year or two so we can do it right that's fine.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like the comfort of it, and would be a great selling feature. Budget is a big thing, but this is why I'm trying to figure out what it will take to do what we want now. I would like to start on it this winter, but if it means waiting a year or two so we can do it right that's fine.

My personal attack would be then to run the lines and insulation and flooring, and just don't hook it to anything. Especially if you are just going to pick away at the basement development. Those are the cheap parts. Zone valves and manifolds and the combi are the expensive bits.

Just what I would do in your situation.

Top Bottom