Garage Floor Protection

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see why a large percentage of cost is attributable to labour. The GS stuff also can be applied in colder conditions. The Rustoleum product I am working with is over 15 degrees, with a concrete surface temp of minimum 13 degrees. That is why I am trying to get out of work early today - nice day 18 degrees here!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I gave them a call - for a 24 by 24 garage the quote was $5,000. I thought that was a little steep so went with the diy kit. But after spending 3 days on prep I have certainly rethought my decision several times.

I will have $500 in once I am finished - at most $600

$5000 would get you a brand new floor! And not much more to put a good coating on it.

Sealer also works very well. Or if your doing a new floor, putting a LOT of hardener on it helps to.

My garage floor I drive in and out all the time with the sled and there is pretty much no marks and the floor hasen't been sealed since it was poured 20 years ago. Colored sealer will hide it even better.

Epoxy is a great way to go but VERY time consuming compared to sealer.

snopro59

Reaction score
Hey guys, I figured I should follow up and share the results of my recently finished floor with epoxy. I am very happy how it turned out. I will be using wheels on the sleds, I expect it will hold up quite well. Here's a few pics.

P1010635.jpg

P1010627.jpg

P1010628.jpg

P1010629.jpg

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome - what expoxy did you use? I like the chips also. How many hours (days) do you have into it? I am going to try and get to mine tonight.

snopro59

Reaction score
Looks awesome - what expoxy did you use? I like the chips also. How many hours (days) do you have into it? I am going to try and get to mine tonight.

I used epoxy-coat. Dwayne from epoxy-coat.ca hooked me up. It's 100% solids epoxy. It was very easy to apply. I started at 7 in the evening and finished by 10. My dad helped me out, we did it in 6 equal sections, total of 900 square feet. Once we did the first one we knew what kind of time we had and we weren't rushed at all. I recommend getting the spiked shoes, I couldn't have done the flakes without them. It made things a lot easier.

I had to diamond grind my floor to prep as the muratic acid didn't work very well because I had previously sealed the concrete. I rented a big diamond grinder and sanded it for a day. I then pressurewashed it and squeegeed and scrubbed it a bunch. The prep was the biggest job but the end result is totally worth it.

If you end up using epoxy-coat tell Dwayne that Keith told you about it. I did a lot of research on different epoxies and I think they are at the top!

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used epoxy-coat. Dwayne from epoxy-coat.ca hooked me up. It's 100% solids epoxy. It was very easy to apply. I started at 7 in the evening and finished by 10. My dad helped me out, we did it in 6 equal sections, total of 900 square feet. Once we did the first one we knew what kind of time we had and we weren't rushed at all. I recommend getting the spiked shoes, I couldn't have done the flakes without them. It made things a lot easier.

I had to diamond grind my floor to prep as the muratic acid didn't work very well because I had previously sealed the concrete. I rented a big diamond grinder and sanded it for a day. I then pressurewashed it and squeegeed and scrubbed it a bunch. The prep was the biggest job but the end result is totally worth it.

If you end up using epoxy-coat tell Dwayne that Keith told you about it. I did a lot of research on different epoxies and I think they are at the top!

Hey Sno pro...I think you missed your calling bud! That floor looks completly awesome man. Nice job! Do you have a number and address? Curious as to how much the material was worth? Thanks for the pics and info....

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used epoxy-coat

Did you put a clearcoat over the top of the finish - pictures look really glossy?

I finished mine last night around 10:30. About 3 hours to cover 24 x 24 garage. If I were to do it again I would do it in summer (expoxy is quite toxic and with the garage doors closed and furnace on to maintain air/surface temp the product was pretty powerful), I would get a buddy to help and I would mix the next can of expoxy up just before I applied the already mixed can ( spent some time twiddling my thumbs waiting for the 45 mins after mixing). The sprinkiling of chips went well - just rolled out 4 x 4 section and then broadcast chips, then did another 4 x 4 section etc. There were a few sections where the expoxy did not seem to adhere well (fingers crossed that this does not pose a problem in future). I will post pics tonight.

Snopro - just a thought - I am going to do this in mine - Clad the footings wall in checker plate. I saw this done and it looks pretty sweet. That would really finish off the space. Your floor looks awesome!

snopro59

Reaction score
Did you put a clearcoat over the top of the finish - pictures look really glossy?

I finished mine last night around 10:30. About 3 hours to cover 24 x 24 garage. If I were to do it again I would do it in summer (expoxy is quite toxic and with the garage doors closed and furnace on to maintain air/surface temp the product was pretty powerful), I would get a buddy to help and I would mix the next can of expoxy up just before I applied the already mixed can ( spent some time twiddling my thumbs waiting for the 45 mins after mixing). The sprinkiling of chips went well - just rolled out 4 x 4 section and then broadcast chips, then did another 4 x 4 section etc. There were a few sections where the expoxy did not seem to adhere well (fingers crossed that this does not pose a problem in future). I will post pics tonight.

Snopro - just a thought - I am going to do this in mine - Clad the footings wall in checker plate. I saw this done and it looks pretty sweet. That would really finish off the space. Your floor looks awesome!

No clearcoat on mine, that's how the epoxy-coat works, really nice stuff. Checkerplate on the footings would be sweet!! I just started to paint them last night. I hope to have all the footings painted and the trim work finished over the weekend. Can't wait to see your pics.

I didn't have a lot of smell with mine, it wasn't a very strong smell. I left my garage doors open about 3 feet and went at it. I did mine in larger sections, they probably averaged 150 square feet. I found I had enough time to work with the epoxy so I was mixing larger batches. Having a helper is the key!

snopro59

Reaction score
Hey Sno pro...I think you missed your calling bud! That floor looks completly awesome man. Nice job! Do you have a number and address? Curious as to how much the material was worth? Thanks for the pics and info....

Thanks!! I'm VERY happy with how it turned out, this was my first experience with epoxy. I'll probably do a few more once the guys see it!

Check out Welcome to Epoxy-Coat Canada for more info and pricing. Dwayne is out of Airdrie, AB. Pricing is very reasonable!

Here is his contact info:
Dwayne Cooke
Epoxy-Coat Canada
Welcome to Epoxy-Coat Canada
info@epoxy-coat.ca
(403) 912-9090
(403) 669-2735 mobile

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few from the iphone - once I find the camera cable I can put some better ones up of before and after.

Attachments

• alan i phone 078.jpg
    alan i phone 078.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 223
  • alan i phone 079.jpg
    alan i phone 079.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 224
  • alan i phone 080.jpg
    alan i phone 080.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 226
  • alan i phone 081.jpg
    alan i phone 081.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 226

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i work construction and we have recently applied this to a few receiving area floors, before applying the epoxy do an acid wash to the floor to open the pores and "surface" the concrete, then apply in am many layers as required.....if anyone would like a price on the epoxy pm me and i can probably talk to the painter we use and see what he can supply it for

You mentioned that you did this when the concrete was new. I ask a technical question; was the concrete fully cured (28 days) or was it still 'green' (less than 7 days old) when the epoxy primer was put on? That was 11 years ago and you may not remember if you're memory is like mine.

This is good information as some of the sealers need to be put on when the floor is quite 'green' like immediately after the troweling is finished. There is a big difference between tires and sled runners whether they be carbides or mild steel.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally found the camera lead - some better pics.

Before. Washed - prep work done. Cracks patched with epoxy filler.

Attachments

• 186.jpg
    186.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 283
  • 188.jpg
    188.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 284

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The product and application.

Attachments

• 189.jpg
    189.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 193.jpg
    193.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 290
  • 182.jpg
    182.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 281

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finished product

Attachments

• 195.jpg
    195.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 194.jpg
    194.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 283
  • 197.jpg
    197.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 285

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good:beer:! Would you be able to do your footings as well:confused:? Floor looks awesome ........footings not so much;)....

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good:beer:! Would you be able to do your footings as well:confused:? Floor looks awesome ........footings not so much;)....

Yeah - I could have done the footings also but have other plans for them. I am going to put 1.5 inch styrofoam on them and then clad with checkerplate. That will finish off nicely. :d

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I could have done the footings also but have other plans for them. I am going to put 1.5 inch styrofoam on them and then clad with checkerplate. That will finish off nicely. :d

:Cool9::clap2::giterdone: And don't forget to post pictures when finished!!!

Top Bottom