Garage Floor Protection

snopro59

Reaction score
I'm looking at different products for my garage floor. Do any of you have any experiences that you would like to share or recommend a certain type of coating.

I've looked at epoxy, regulary sealers (commercial stuff), even linseed oil.

What works best to protect for salt and oil?

I like the epoxy but I don't think it will hold up in a "working" garage, the carbides on the sleds might scrape it along with the snowblower tire chains. My floor is heated in the garage as well.

Thanks!!

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
How about a layer of rubber matting, or the stuff on the floors of hockey aerenas, arenas ....rinks?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
How about a layer of rubber matting, or the stuff on the floors of hockey aerenas, arenas ....rinks?

Good protection but they will trap water underneath as well as the fact they are expensive. Lastly, you cannot 'drag' or push anything on them...

For salt and water protection alone, a good concrete sealer is the way to go, and drainage of course, if you dont have floor drains, then you need to squeegee the water out.

3100 Clear Cure and Seal - Concrete Sealers - Northland Construction Supplies

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is your floor already poured? The best sealer is put on when it is still wet. That will protect it from salt, oil, grease etc. but not from carbides.

They are the worst for damage to concrete. I got rid of the carbides and run mild steel. Yes, I change them twice a year but much easier on the deck and floors.

IMO anything else you put on will not stand up to carbides but there are guys on here that know a lot more than me, so let them chime in.....

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Is your floor already poured? The best sealer is put on when it is still wet. That will protect it from salt, oil, grease etc. but not from carbides.

They are the worst for damage to concrete. I got rid of the carbides and run mild steel. Yes, I change them twice a year but much easier on the deck and floors.

IMO anything else you put on will not stand up to carbides but there are guys on here that know a lot more than me, so let them chime in.....

I agree cure and seal is meant to be applied to 'new' concrete, but it does work on cured slabs as well. You can also go to a high solids sealer but it is shiny and more slippery.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat - just about to sand the old paint off my floor and go with the Rustoleum Epoxy. I won't drag carbides over it (not sure much would stand up to that) but I expect it to stand up to hot tire pickup and general use. I will try and post some pics of before and after. Might be this weekend if I can get the floor prepped on weeknights this week.

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If still not sure go to the professional's. Even if you don't purchase their products a good place for advice.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not think anything will stand up to carbides, a cheap coat of porch and floor urethane and the more expensive costco mats on top and your floor will be like new in 20 years time.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat - just about to sand the old paint off my floor and go with the Rustoleum Epoxy. I won't drag carbides over it (not sure much would stand up to that) but I expect it to stand up to hot tire pickup and general use. I will try and post some pics of before and after. Might be this weekend if I can get the floor prepped on weeknights this week.

Well - about 2 1/2 solid days of prep work and tomorrow night I will be laying down the expoxy floor covering - what a lot of work. The prep work is a killer - Sanding, chemical paint stripper, washing, re-washing, etching, vacuuming, expoxy concrete crack filler, more vacuuming etc All I can say is - it better look good!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well - about 2 1/2 solid days of prep work and tomorrow night I will be laying down the expoxy floor covering - what a lot of work. The prep work is a killer - Sanding, chemical paint stripper, washing, re-washing, etching, vacuuming, expoxy concrete crack filler, more vacuuming etc All I can say is - it better look good!

post up some pics. (before . During and after)

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put on the epoxy primer and urethane top coat were done when my garage was new....11 years ago. Sleds were "babied" in and out on chunks of wood for the first 3 years, then I just said screw it....paint holds up. Here's pics from a couple of weeks ago...

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm looking at different products for my garage floor. Do any of you have any experiences that you would like to share or recommend a certain type of coating.

I've looked at epoxy, regulary sealers (commercial stuff), even linseed oil.

What works best to protect for salt and oil?

I like the epoxy but I don't think it will hold up in a "working" garage, the carbides on the sleds might scrape it along with the snowblower tire chains. My floor is heated in the garage as well.

Thanks!!

Well i have been in the concrete industry for the last 15 years or so.I don't know of anything ,or think anything would hold up to carbides.I think personally your best bet would be to use the Dolly's with the wheels on it for driving it around and moving it in your garage if you care about your concrete.

I put concrete harder in my garage floor and it still is not bulletproof.But if you end up finding a product that is let me know .

Cheers

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I put on the epoxy primer and urethane top coat were done when my garage was new....11 years ago. Sleds were "babied" in and out on chunks of wood for the first 3 years, then I just said screw it....paint holds up. Here's pics from a couple of weeks ago...

You mentioned that you did this when the concrete was new. I ask a technical question; was the concrete fully cured (28 days) or was it still 'green' (less than 7 days old) when the epoxy primer was put on? That was 11 years ago and you may not remember if you're memory is like mine.

This is good information as some of the sealers need to be put on when the floor is quite 'green' like immediately after the troweling is finished. There is a big difference between tires and sled runners whether they be carbides or mild steel.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mentioned that you did this when the concrete was new. I ask a technical question; was the concrete fully cured (28 days) or was it still 'green' (less than 7 days old) when the epoxy primer was put on? That was 11 years ago and you may not remember if you're memory is like mine.

This is good information as some of the sealers need to be put on when the floor is quite 'green' like immediately after the troweling is finished. There is a big difference between tires and sled runners whether they be carbides or mild steel.

Concrete was maybe 6 months old. I moved in in Oct 1999...I did the floor in the spring....no grease or anything on it, but I had to wash it and etch with muriatic acid, then wash again. Let dry a few days then on with the epoxy primer, etc. You have to physically gouge the concrete to remove the paint. All my sleds have had the factory carbides. Yes, there are a few gouges by the door...but not very many for the number of times I've been in and out with sleds. I was single during most of these 11 yrs, so I actually parked my truck in there with studded winter rubber. The yellow is "worn spotty" to the grey primer where the front tires pushed the turn in and out for several winters. (Now the GF parks in there and she only has one stud in her life...LOL)

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out a company called Garage Strategies.. here's a link:
Welcome to Garage Strategies™ Inc.

Personally never used it but a bud of mine did and he said you can't mark it with a screwdriver its so hard!

Another great place in Edmonton is Cloverdale Paints....they sell comercial grade epoxies for warehouses that run hard rubber tired fork lifts over there product and I saw a warehouse that was done 3 years ago....see's everyday heavy duty traffic and you would have thought it was done maybe a month ago... here's a link:

Interior Painting, Exterior Paint Colours | Cloverdale Paint

Never use concrete paint...the stuff won't stick...take the time and use epoxy and for those that are doing it please post some pics....I need to do mine as well.

Don't know as to if they are all over Alberta and BC but both these Companies are in Edmontn Alberta for sure....support our Alberta Companies !!!!

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out a company called Garage Strategies !!!!

I gave them a call - for a 24 by 24 garage the quote was $5,000. I thought that was a little steep so went with the diy kit. But after spending 3 days on prep I have certainly rethought my decision several times.

I will have $500 in once I am finished - at most $600

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I heard they are expensive if you get them to do it but you can also buy just the stuff and do it yourself. I was told thou that the stuff from Cloverdale was just as good....just thought I'd throw it out there as a friend just did his last weekend from stuff he bought at GS...then like I said a contractor told me about Cloverdale. I know they quoted me under 500.00 for material to do my 24x26 garage and its an industrial coating which is much stronger then any smaller do it yourself kit from what I was told...

Last edited:
Top Bottom