Garage Build....

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can he supply a 18 x 8h and a 16 x 12h with liftmaster wall mount openers?Buddy thinks I should put the clear doors on... He's got tons of $$$
Nope. It's me eh. I put my own doors in and a few buddies' over the past few years. (haven't put in a Liftmaster since hmmmmm...89/90??...but done a few standard residential type ones lately) If ya get in a bind let me know and we could probably do it without too much difficulty....but I don't have any connections to supply the doors any more.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope. It's me eh. I put my own doors in and a few buddies' over the past few years. (haven't put in a Liftmaster since hmmmmm...89/90??...but done a few standard residential type ones lately) If ya get in a bind let me know and we could probably do it without too much difficulty....but I don't have any connections to supply the doors any more.
Thx I will. The father in law built last year. They only charged him $200 to install a 16x8, but he bought the stuff from them, so I would geuss some $$ built in to the parts price. $200 seamed really cheap for the work involved!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thx I will. The father in law built last year. They only charged him $200 to install a 16x8, but he bought the stuff from them, so I would geuss some $$ built in to the parts price. $200 seamed really cheap for the work involved!
Well, back in the day I would put in 2, 16X8's with openers in one day by myself...so 200 bucks at todays prices seems pretty good...like 50 bucks an hour.

Cool shop you're building! Might see me drive by tomorry...

Last edited:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can he supply a 18 x 8h and a 16 x 12h with liftmaster wall mount openers?Buddy thinks I should put the clear doors on... He's got tons of $$$

I put in a 16'x10' clear sunshine door in my shop....would never, ever go back to a steel door. The price wasn't too bad...$3400 (or $3600...can't remember) installed by Red Deer Overdoor. The natural light is more than worth the extra few dollars.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, back in the day I would put in 2, 16X8's with openers in one day by myself...so 200 bucks at todays prices seems pretty good...like 50 bucks an hour.Cool shop you're building! Might see me drive by tomorry...
More than welcome, I'm off tomorrow. Only day off in along time. Make sure ya stop in!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put in a 16'x10' clear sunshine door in my shop....would never, ever go back to a steel door. The price wasn't too bad...$3400 (or $3600...can't remember) installed by Red Deer Overdoor. The natural light is more than worth the extra few dollars.
Well thats not too bad, I budgeted $7000 but really had no idea. I was ball parken! How are they for "r" value. I put 4 skylights in too. So with the dormer, window above the man door I should have some good light. I hope

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The salesman wouldn't give me a definite number, but he said it was around a 7. Not great, but a regular steel door is around 10-12.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Careful Dave, this is not a 8x16 door. I am sure he will not be happy with a track on the scissor trusses (roll up door). Of coarse the large door would be ok. I just like looking at pictures now.

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Careful Dave, this is not a 8x16 door. I am sure he will not be happy with a track on the scissor trusses (roll up door). Of coarse the large door would be ok. I just like looking at pictures now.
Well...since I'm not REALLY the door contractor, just offering help....I'm sure what is supposed to be installed would be revealed should it become necessary. I have installed full vertical lift doors, fire doors, doors at train sheds, doors in flat roof pole sheds, low clearance doors in residential,etc....so I probably have at one time or another seen what needs to be done. (8 X 16 would be 8 wide, 16 high BTW) Best job I ever had, which is why I still have an interest. Just couldn't see myself climbing ladders for a living when I got older.

I see the concern with the one door....you'd want the back-hang up against the ceiling. This will involve some very exacting calculations to get the springs correct.

Last edited:

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question: With the clear doors ( I know that they are opaqued ) can you not sort of see what you have in your garage? Like the basic shape of a quad or sled? Just curious. Thanks

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha your right about the 8x16 probably would feel more like your installing that size of door anyway than the other way round.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question: With the clear doors ( I know that they are opaqued ) can you not sort of see what you have in your garage? Like the basic shape of a quad or sled? Just curious. Thanks

You can tell there's something in there, but it's pretty tough to make out what it is. I have one row of clear glass on my door, so that makes it easier. But I also have a few other windows, so if the bad guys want to take a look, it ain't that hard. I have cameras and lots of lighting, plus a little something-something hanging out in the house for those who care to take the chance. If you can run faster than 3200 ft/sec, give it a whirl.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of coarse you could always just hang two doors. Just thought i would throw that in there as you may have not even thought of that.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the drive by and that's gonna be one sweet shop. R u gonna do infloor heat in there ?
Thx. No infloor for me. I don't like it in shop. My father in law has it. Keeps it at 10* after a hour of wrenchen. I'm ready for a nap. I like to b able to swing the temp fast if I want.Plus the $ 15000 they wanted for parts made up my mind up. I bought a new 2 ton air conditioner and a 80000 btu hi efficient furnace from a friend for $1400 so I'll be $2500ish all done. Was that you on the hog?Hard to tell whos who,there has been alot of people doing the drive by. Most look at me like I'm on dope! But I've gone 12 years without my own shop so don't judge!

Top Bottom