Furnace Question

wellluck

Reaction score
Bought an old trailer on the weekend for hunting. Pilot light lights on the furnace but the furnace won't ignite. Any suggestions.
Thanks,

Al

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had trouble with the furnace in my motorhome some years back, same thing, pilot light would light and fan would run but no big flame....replaced the thermocouple to no avail, an RV mechanic told me that if the fan motor is wearing out the flame won't ignite. the power runs from the fan to the gas solenoid, if there's not enough power because of the worn brushes/contacts on the fan it won't kick the solenoid in. explained why the furnace worked good when plugged in to 110v power, but not on battery. something to think about if the thermocouple doesn't fix the problem.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be your thermostat. twist the two wires together. if nothing check for 12 volt power supply.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought an old trailer on the weekend for hunting. Pilot light lights on the furnace but the furnace won't ignite. Any suggestions.
Thanks,

Al

Is it forced air or gravity furnace???

wellluck

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, but yes it is a old gravity feed furnace.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the pilot stay lit? When you turn the temp knob, can you hear the gas valve make a click or ping noise (once when turning it to high, then again when returning it to low setting)? When you turn the other knob from pilot to 'run' (or whatever it says) does it try to start at all??? If it does not try to start burning at all, the gas valve is likely the cause. If it does try to start, the orifice inside the main burner may be partly blocked. If it does attempt to start, the unit will have to be taken apart and orifice cleaned.

wellluck

Reaction score
Ardypol, you described what it attempts to do perfectly. It must have a partially blocked orifice. Is this something I can or should attempt myself or should I take it in to have done?
Thanks again,

Al

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ardypol, you described what it attempts to do perfectly. It must have a partially blocked orifice. Is this something I can or should attempt myself or should I take it in to have done?
Thanks again,

Al

Are you handy??? You could try blowing it out with some high pressure air, but likely won't work. Is there a number plate of some sort to indicate what the furnace brand and/or type is. I'm guessing a BRC10...

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pilot lite should not stay lit if the thermopile is dead.Gravity (not 24v power like themocouplers use.)ones have milivolt thermopiles that provide the power through the themostat(switch) to the gas valve. Short out the stat wires right at the gas valve before you buy any parts.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Thanks,

Al

As teeroy says.... If your batteries are weak the fire box will not start! Or am I on the wrong track here ? :confused:

wellluck

Reaction score
Model is ARC10e Flame Master, I believe. Not sure how to take the "canaster" (for lack of better word) off.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure the LPG is shut off and take the entire furnace out. I don't think you can get to the burner without removing it. Could be wrong though!

Top Bottom