Fuel

Brojoe

Reaction score
I am running a turbo in my M8, and was looking at running av gas. Airport here in Saskatoon said it was illegal to sell to teh public. Is this right? i am looking for a cheaper alternative to VP fuel

Broz

Reaction score
Av gas is a dryer form of fuel and is usually 100 to 101 octane. Why not buy some VP and blend it with pump gas to get the level of octane you need. Going over the needed octane can result is a loss of power anyway. To heavy of fuel will not burn at the rate you need. To slow of burn rate will have fuel exiting the engine before it is all burnt. We mix VP 16 with pump gas and get exactly what we need. I think you will find it to be affordable this way.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Around here you cant just go to the airport and get av gas. You have to order a barrel and it come out a little over premium in price. Way better than mixing race gas.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to mix alot of C 16 to get the amount of octane Av gas straight will. The worst part is you still have to buy pump fuel which you have no clue on what quality it is.

Broz

Reaction score
Av gas = 101 octane

C16 is actually 117

pump gas lets say 89

50 / 50 mix is 117 + 89 = 206 divided by 2 = 103 octane

It was just a suggestion guys, not looking for a debate. I was not aware of the availability issues where you live. I just have a history that involved fuel in Blown Nitro, Blown alky, and some blown gas. I have mixed a lot of fuel and still do. Like I said, I was just trying to help. Buy the av gas if it works for ya.

Jeff

Brojoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will do a mix with pump and C16. I will burn more C16 if I am unsur as to the quality of fuel.
Thanks

Broz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will do a mix with pump and C16. I will burn more C16 if I am unsur as to the quality of fuel.
Thanks

Brojoe, I have no idea what your final boosted compression ratio is, but if you know the octane rating needed you can do a quick average as I did above. It is pretty simple and by no mean scientific, but will get you close. Then stay 3~4 points above for safety. Also I would buy the 91 rated pump gas, I just used the 89 for a medium example. Altitude will play a huge roll in the final boost numbers and octane requirments. So keep that in mind too.

Thats what I like about Nitromethane. Nitro is 52% oxygen bearing and brings the good air in with it.

Jeff

Broz

Reaction score
Another point of interest might be to remember that one af the many differences between aviation fuel, VP fuel and pump gas is, the addition of methonal. I am not sure of the ratings in your area but here pump gas is allowed to have up to 10 or 15% of metonal added. Aviation and VP do not. This is not all a bad thing when you consider the conditions and temps we run the sleds in and if you are adding fuel line antifreeze (Isopropyl) you may choose to stop or ad less.

Jeff

Top Bottom