Frozen Septic Field.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking mine may be plugged also attributing to this. Would mine have a distribution box since its using a pump or is it just pvc pipe branched off? Anyone use any septic additives that are marketed to eat the organic sludge in the field. Assuming this is snake oil but guess cheap enough may be worth a try as im not sure how I would clean it out if its just pipes.

Not sure pumps are used when pumping up hilll , I only use a box when its gravity flow system to even out flow to each run, pictures might shine some light on what you have.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting system. What is the cost on this? Would the ground still not have the potential to freeze or saturate? Or is the effluent discharge deep into the ground with out the worry about it contaminating ground water as it is clean water.

edit: see you said it discharges above ground? Dont you have a lot of surface water and freezing in the winter.

Well they certainly aren't cheap. I paid about $18,000 installed but that was a while back. Don't seem to have any water pooling problems but the goround is definitely saturated where the tunnels are but you can add more than one tunnel to spread the water out over a larger area. No issues with freezing at all.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious....can you install your own septic system in Alberta, or do you have to be a licensed installer?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pay tons of money to put it in the way they tell you to. Then it is your problem... not theirs if it freezes up. How to get the best system....let everyone put in what they want, lots of minds lots of ideas. Then have someone come back and inspect it in 5 years time. I came across a guy who had dug a big pit and filled it with used tires, his line went into the tire pit.... no septic tank no field lines just a pit with tons of tires in it and fabric over the top with grass on top. It had been in there for 20 years... no problems what so ever. Simple effective and cheap.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen bell an siphon (no pumps) into an old car buried 10 ' down instead of a field. 25 years later no maintenance has been required . Is not legal today..but works .
Pay tons of money to put it in the way they tell you to. Then it is your problem... not theirs if it freezes up. How to get the best system....let everyone put in what they want, lots of minds lots of ideas. Then have someone come back and inspect it in 5 years time. I came across a guy who had dug a big pit and filled it with used tires, his line went into the tire pit.... no septic tank no field lines just a pit with tons of tires in it and fabric over the top with grass on top. It had been in there for 20 years... no problems what so ever. Simple effective and cheap.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It just sickens me to know you have to pay a ton of money for something someone else dreamed up and it is your problem. For those that are not aware of this, you can get a engineer to draw up the plans for your system, then anyone can install it. You are still on the hook for anything that goes wrong not them.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The days of burying cars / tires / family members etc etc .... Are long gone , trust me !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that a lot of you don't have the acreage needed for an open discharge. That's the ultimate in a simple system but not allowed for smaller landholders.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that a lot of you don't have the acreage needed for an open discharge. That's the ultimate in a simple system but not allowed for smaller landholders.
minimum 9 acres for a pumpout setup. lots of rules even then, certain distance from waterways or drainage, as well as property lines. I've had a few troubles with mine over the years, but nothing that costs in the tens of thousands to repair.

not legal in BC anymore tho

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Minimum 300 ft from property line . 10 acres is 660' by 660', that potentially leaves a 60 sq' area in the centre of property. ( assuming it is square). But distance to structures and wells also come into play....
Pretty tough to put a pump
Out on 10 acres generally speaking ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it where me I would just go out and 10 lengths or so of infiltrator, dig it deeper and plunk them in then fill it with sand. It I a good idea to really know exactly where everything is just because of stuff like this.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It just sickens me to know you have to pay a ton of money for something someone else dreamed up and it is your problem. For those that are not aware of this, you can get a engineer to draw up the plans for your system, then anyone can install it. You are still on the hook for anything that goes wrong not them.

There are reasons why people can't just do what they want with septic systems. Same for building/plumbing and electrical work. It's really not that hard to understand, do it wrong and worst case someone dies....
If a septic system installed by a realible contractor freezes and he followed the correct practises it's not his fault. I would guess 95%of the time it is user issues and 5% weather conditions.

brendon444

Reaction score
Seems like my septic field stopped discharging to surface. Not sure whether heating the effluent before going to the field helped or the ground froze there not allowing it to come up.

Another question: Will be going away for a week in the near future and wondering if any of you guys get someone to come run water into your septic system throughout the week just to keep things warm. Never thought about it before but if my field did in deed freeze is this something I should be doing when gone.

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be a little late to the conversation, but would the size of your field, (or lack there of), be part of your problem?? Not enough field, and it can't absorb the discharge...

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like my septic field stopped discharging to surface. Not sure whether heating the effluent before going to the field helped or the ground froze there not allowing it to come up.

Another question: Will be going away for a week in the near future and wondering if you any of you guys get someone to come run water into your septic system throughout the week just to keep things warm. Never thought about it before but if my field did in deed freeze is this something I should be doing when gone.

I would find that leaving water running while gone a risky move. If your system freezes while you are gone and is unable to pump itself out, that water will end up in your basement.

brendon444

Reaction score
Might be a little late to the conversation, but would the size of your field, (or lack there of), be part of your problem?? Not enough field, and it can't absorb the discharge...

Its possible that it is partially plugged reducing the usable capacity of the field. However it worked flawless previous to this and all last winter with a lot more water going into the system at certain times. Just thought with all the low temperatures and lack of snow cover it was not coincidence this started happening, first time it happened we had been gone for 4 days and once we returned and used water it came to surface leading me to believe it froze. Being only 2-3' below surface frozen soil surrounding the field and trenches must also really limit the capacity of drainage. Which leads me to the next question if I should be running water periodically when gone if heat from the effluent is all that keeps the soil from freezing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom