front A arm bushings

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I need to change my front a-arm bushings! any input on what to use.....stock or is there a better aftermarket set? I hear this is an isue with the Apex???? it was good a few hundred miles ago and then poof....they are gone!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I need to change my front a-arm bushings! any input on what to use.....stock or is there a better aftermarket set? I hear this is an isue with the Apex???? it was good a few hundred miles ago and then poof....they are gone!

There's some olite ones available. I've only replaced mine once w/ 5600kms. But I've replaced the left side bulk head twice now and yami provides free bushings with every bulk head:p

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been through 4 sets, now trying a set of oilite bushings. If they fail I am going to try aftermarket, front end set up. I see my stock spindle is also getting play in it even with new spacers. Might be time to upgrade to a new front end.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well my bottom bushing are gone and the hole is egg shapped by just 1 mm...... Im going to get some bushings made or has any one used liquid metal (JB weld or the two part puddy) I have seen some good stuff fix a crankcase in a sled...... what should I do? go slightly bigger bushings and enlarge the hole by 2 mm to make up for the 1 mm egged hole or just fill it in with the 2 part stuff? if I make the bushing I have some Special plastic that has Graphite in it...and that makes oilite bushing look like crap.....used to use it when machining bushings for sawmill equipment.....it out last oilite 5 to 1 and doesnt break or crack like oilite! WHAT 2 DO?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
made a line boring tool to enlarge the holes......going to build new custom bushings. instead of a 1 MM thickness (what was yamaha thinking?) Im going to increase it to 2 MM so my hole in the bulkhead is going from a 18 MM to a 20MM which.....I think I could go as big as 22-23mm,,,,,just like boring out a cylinder.....010, .020 .030 lol I know this blue plastic will take all the shock and beating the front end can take.....if they stand up to the beating Im going to build all the bushings in the front end out of this stuff! Bob from NASA has done all the engineering on all my specs and he said it is good to go! should last 5 times longer than oilite bushings. when I used to use this stuff we never had to replace it from wearing out compared to nylon or oilite.......I guess I should take pictures as I build, in case someone has the same problem.....I heard those bulkhead pieces are like $500 a side.....bushing arent going to be 10th of that!(I do remember that blue $h!t was really expensive)..... just a little time to enlarge the holes!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
made a line boring tool to enlarge the holes......going to build new custom bushings. instead of a 1 MM thickness (what was yamaha thinking?) Im going to increase it to 2 MM so my hole in the bulkhead is going from a 18 MM to a 20MM which.....I think I could go as big as 22-23mm,,,,,just like boring out a cylinder.....010, .020 .030 lol I know this blue plastic will take all the shock and beating the front end can take.....if they stand up to the beating Im going to build all the bushings in the front end out of this stuff! Bob from NASA has done all the engineering on all my specs and he said it is good to go! should last 5 times longer than oilite bushings. when I used to use this stuff we never had to replace it from wearing out compared to nylon or oilite.......I guess I should take pictures as I build, in case someone has the same problem.....I heard those bulkhead pieces are like $500 a side.....bushing arent going to be 10th of that!(I do remember that blue $h!t was really expensive)..... just a little time to enlarge the holes!

First its lunch with Roscoe P. Coltraine, now you are hanging out with the astronauts??? Cmon...Really???

You kill me...

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you know Bob? smart guy! he is not an astronaut but the head engineer for NASA LMFAO

and just for the record I have never had lunch with Roscoe! LOL

Last edited:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, no I dont know Bob...Maybe you can introduce me some day...

he can engineer anything from custom piston return springs to porting your chain case! THE GUY IS GOD! I heard he can also build a 1160 that can out climb anything out there! LOl......I have to stop now or I will get deleted and I need to get back on track with A-Arm bushings lol

Hirevtuner

Reaction score
Hey I'm interested in those custom piston return springs.
I used some from my deck chair but I think the spring rate is wrong. lol

Your bushing idea sounds like the answer. When I put the factory bushings in they seemed like a really cheap looking part compared to the weight of the apex. I think I know the blue material your talking about. I have seen bushings made for car wash equipment. I may try machining some for the old RX1.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm interested in those custom piston return springs.
I used some from my deck chair but I think the spring rate is wrong. lol

Your bushing idea sounds like the answer. When I put the factory bushings in they seemed like a really cheap looking part compared to the weight of the apex. I think I know the blue material your talking about. I have seen bushings made for car wash equipment. I may try machining some for the old RX1.

I just cant understand why Yamaha uses the stock 1 MM thick cheap plastic bushing......looks like it would only last a 100 miles or the first bump! I think they want to sell lots of those front bulkhead pieces for $500 lol......well im off to go build some bushings!

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im sure i know the plastic you thinking of! let us know how everything turns out. im curious to know if its gonna work. Im worried the plastic your using will actually wear down the cheap cast metal.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im sure i know the plastic you thinking of! let us know how everything turns out. im curious to know if its gonna work. Im worried the plastic your using will actually wear down the cheap cast metal.

The key here will be to keep the bushing locked to the bulkhead so it doesn't rotate! All the active movement should be between the bolt and bushing - the way Yamaha has it set up, everything can rotate on everything - not good.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after looking at how this "Yahama screw up" looks.....its all wrong! Yahama has a bushing in the bulkhead AND a bushing in the A-Arm! this is all wrong! if my new plastic part does not work I`m going to build some steel sleeves with some set screws to lock everthing into place. the way it is right now is EVERYTHING moves.....you only need one part to move.....pin the bolt and let the bushings inside the A_Arm move.....the new plastic bushing I just made are pressed in very tight, plus the are twice as thick, and I did not go with the blue plastic but went with a urethane type of plastic that will take more shock load! Im going to be line boring them today.....this looks like it will work great but I still have enough meat on the bulkhead to try the steel sleeves next.....one way or another I`m going to fix Yamahas screw up! been building some custom tools to do the job right on the sled so nothing has to come apart, but the A-Arms!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after looking at how this "Yahama screw up" looks.....its all wrong! Yahama has a bushing in the bulkhead AND a bushing in the A-Arm! this is all wrong! if my new plastic part does not work I`m going to build some steel sleeves with some set screws to lock everthing into place. the way it is right now is EVERYTHING moves.....you only need one part to move.....pin the bolt and let the bushings inside the A_Arm move.....the new plastic bushing I just made are pressed in very tight, plus the are twice as thick, and I did not go with the blue plastic but went with a urethane type of plastic that will take more shock load! Im going to be line boring them today.....this looks like it will work great but I still have enough meat on the bulkhead to try the steel sleeves next.....one way or another I`m going to fix Yamahas screw up! been building some custom tools to do the job right on the sled so nothing has to come apart, but the A-Arms!

Keep that tool in a safe place - I'll be by in June with my sled Gary!!!! :d:d

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone know what the length of a mountain apex A-arms are compared to a none mountain apex? 39-43 inch ski width is how long of an A-Arm? mine are 15 inches on the bottom from center of bolt to center of bolt, and 13 1/4 on the top.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
front end is done! it is way better than Yamaha built it now! Zero movement any where! I do have to find some new spindles and housing since mine have a bend but going to run them for now.......Now tearing into the exhaust and rear skid!

Top Bottom