Found out what rattle was in recoil (young-gun)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm posting this for my brother.... Earlier this season he posted that he was noticing a "rattle" inside the recoil housing..... It was an on-off rattle, usually only happening when it was cold.... Today he decided to pull the recoil off and this is what he found..... Enter pictures.....

IMG-20120116-WA001.jpg Here's the "spring" side of the recoil housing.. Nothing out of the ordinary here... Seems all good.. Retainer is there, may be a little over-greased but who knows.....

IMG-20120116-WA000.jpg You notice in this pic that there is unusual"scarring" on the leading face of the... um, don't know the technical name for it..... Something has to be wrong here, what could be making this markings, and two, where did it go?????

IMG-20120116-WA002.jpg TA-DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Found where the foreign material came from!!!!!!!! Apparently there are Screws holding the Mag housing (again, sorry for bad terminology) are backing out and rattling around in the MAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, wee found where it came from, now to find out where it went..... Time to pull MAG as there is no trace of it anywhere else......

BTW this is on a 2011SP..... Has NEVER been ripped into on that side..... Don't know if its a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) issue, I thought those screws would have had to have Loctite (and Young-Gun just tells me there are more than one backing out!!!!) and |Torqued to a specific rating.....

Anyway, to all XP-SP owners... Maybe take a look, see if things are looking all good.... Young-Gun NEVER EVER uses his MANUAL Pull-Start... He only noticed because it was rattling..... Your screws MAY NOT be backed out far enough to fall out just yet... YOULL NEVER KNOW UNLESS U TAKE A LOOK-SEE.....

There ya go,, Hope this Helps...
And Young-Gun, Your Welcome

• :D

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's pooched take it to dealer. That's exactly what happened to mine last Feb. it was done 3 weeks, stator was damaged front the nut or screw bouncing around. Big job at least 6 hour job

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's pooched take it to dealer. That's exactly what happened to mine last Feb. it was done 3 weeks, stator was damaged front the nut or screw bouncing around. Big job at least 6 hour job

You heard the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
will definatly be calling dealer in morning. Get it in and done, too much riding to be done.

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

was it atleast covered under warranty?

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
will definatly be calling dealer in morning. Get it in and done, too much riding to be done.
DO you have the stuff in your tool kit to start the engine using the clutch side of the motor if you have to in a emergency?

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO you have the stuff in your tool kit to start the engine using the clutch side of the motor if you have to in a emergency?

I do. No sign of missing bolt though. Hopefully doesnt wedge in there somewhere. Only need to run for 2 min to get on trailer, then not my problem.

Top Bottom