Found a avalanche rockstar on the hill today

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh oh, sounds like the lib-tards are heading this direction. Get ready for Bill 7, " Sledding ? Do this or stay Home ".

Next Month Bill 7.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riders that ignore the safety aspects of Avy training and gear for the mountains should leave their names at the Trail Pass office.
That way it will be quicker to notify next of kin...

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know I'm bad for strapping my avy stuff down to my tunnel. Thinking of going to a vest so I might actually wear it all day.

Cummins610

Reaction score
Does the description of what you saw match the guy who is reported missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've only been sledding actively again (I did a bunch about 20 years ago, but only ever in SK) for last season and this. Only once have I been to the mountains, but I made sure that I had ALL the gear. And I wear my avalanche bag everywhere I ride, mountains or not, as it has all my survival and first aid stuff in it. I'd rather just be used to wearing it than not. I don't care what people say under their breath about me wearing an airbag in Whitecourt. Just as easy to have to spend the night or help someone out there as it is in Vale or wherever. You wouldn't catch me in the hills without ALL the gear.

good on ya. Slides can happen anywhere. A few years back there was a fellow buried in Ontario I believe? He had a helmet cam and there was a YouTube video on it. Can't be too safe. Plus like you say it gets you used to wearing it.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When its your time to go no training or gear is going to help you, so if the rockstar wants to ride that way go the other way.

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When its your time to go no training or gear is going to help you, so if the rockstar wants to ride that way go the other way.

So the next time a truck coming the other way crosses into my lane i should just steer at him because "It's my time to go"? Have the tools and training to get yourself out of bad circumstances keeps you alive. JMO.

Last edited:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats one of the most foolish statements I've read on here in a long time!

Chrisp1

Reaction score
Based on what law or regulation? Do you really want to go there? I don't. We have enough government interference in our lives. I don't want them sticking their noses in my recreation any more than they already do. If people choose to ride without their gear, that's their choice and they have the right to make that choice in our "somewhat" free democratic society. I don't have to like it, but I accept their right to be stupid. In the end it's none of my damn business what decision they make anyway.

People are so friggin high and mighty these days! Pizzes me off more than the people that are making the stupid choices. :rant:
It's unfortunate you think this way. Riding in the backcountry is not to be taken lightly. No I don't think we should need rules in place to enjoy this freedom that some take advantage, but you have to consider the people affected by a bad choice out there. SAR put their lives on the line to rescue, other riders putting their lives on the line as well. Granted all the gear in the world won't keep this from happening. It's the last line of defence, but bad choices can be avoided by proper training and attitude. Morgan from walking dead sums it up by saying "all life is precious".

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's unfortunate you think this way. Riding in the backcountry is not to be taken lightly. No I don't think we should need rules in place to enjoy this freedom that some take advantage, but you have to consider the people affected by a bad choice out there. SAR put their lives on the line to rescue, other riders putting their lives on the line as well. Granted all the gear in the world won't keep this from happening. It's the last line of defence, but bad choices can be avoided by proper training and attitude. Morgan from walking dead sums it up by saying "all life is precious".

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

so, sorry but i'm kinda missing what you're saying, you don't think we need more mandatory rules, me neither, but are you're suggesting we all should take training and improve our attitude to avoid bad choices ?
And now please don't all jump down my throat, cause i'm NOT specifically talking about this poor fella presently lost, cause i don't know his situation but , RANT AHEAD ; reality is , stupid people make stupid choices no matter how much legislation, rules, laws ,training etc. But that doesn't mean IMO, that everything should be dumbed down to the idiot level to protect those few, and yeah it sucks for their loved ones but thats their situation, not ours. And yep, maybe it'll be me someday, if so i'll have to deal with that. But this silly mindset of attempting to babysit every individual in every activity 24 hours a day is doing nothing but creating a bunch of dummies with an unrealistic expectation that no matter what stupid thing they do, someone who cares , is gonna come and bail their dumb a$$ out, when anyone with a clue wouldn't have put themselves in that position in the first place. Sorry, sometimes people get to choose, then they have to live with their choices and deal with the consequences.
Again i say, i'm not talking about the guy presently lost, i truly hope he's found safe and sound.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to take a second look at this guy but no avalanche backpack(or any backpack for that matter). No tunnel bag or any other sort of storage which means he had no probe or shovel and may as well not have had a beacon because he wouldn't have been able to help his riding partner which was obviously just as clueless. Either way if it's on the sled it's useless. Tried catching up to him to see what was up but I couldn't catch him because he had a sled necks outfit on. If he was playing it safe around the cabin in the meadows just checking out the sport maybe that's ok but not really. But nope I saw him exiting "Avalanche alley" at Allan creek clearly marked as such lol. Brand new instantaneous lift pro rmk and a beautiful dodge truck could probly afford some gear. I just can't believe there are still people that clueless and especially his riding partner? How clueless do you have to be that you wouldn't realize there is absolutely nothing your buddie can do for you if you get caught. ...end rant. Get some gear or borrow it from someone, rent it who gives a fawk make the investment somehow to save you and your riding partners. I think I am just dumbfounded because that's actually the first time I have witnessed someone that far in the backcountry crossing Avalanche zones with absolutely no gear. It was kind of a "did that just happen" moment. Even if I didn't see his gear strapped to his sled it's just as useless if your not wearing it. But love the sled necks outfit bud you must know how to dangle. The weather was so bad today you could think your being safe and get sideswiped with no warning

I saw this guy you are talking about as well. Myself and the the two guys I was with were the first ones through the alley that day. A first for me which was awesome. In saying that, I guess I was caught up in the excitement of first tracks in and I never said anything to him. Moving forward I am going to make a conscious effort to be more observant of the people in my surroundings...

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been their before seen a couple riding double in reshaw and their was a older guy talking to them about safety and all this young guy had was attitude the son of the older getaman took the sled down the trail brought the key back and said get out of the valley probably saved their life but like someone said earlier is u cant fix stupid

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This man was celebrated in town today. Avalanche took him to young. He had the tools and so did his partners. I was riding once and the father said we'll just rent a beacon for my son, I rented the beacon for the father. I wanted to protect his son. Father did not understand what I did for him. It's like drunk driving, take away the key's! People without proper equipment must be shut-down!

Attachments

• IMG_6393.jpg
    IMG_6393.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 168
Top Bottom