Found a avalanche rockstar on the hill today

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to take a second look at this guy but no avalanche backpack(or any backpack for that matter). No tunnel bag or any other sort of storage which means he had no probe or shovel and may as well not have had a beacon because he wouldn't have been able to help his riding partner which was obviously just as clueless. Either way if it's on the sled it's useless. Tried catching up to him to see what was up but I couldn't catch him because he had a sled necks outfit on. If he was playing it safe around the cabin in the meadows just checking out the sport maybe that's ok but not really. But nope I saw him exiting "Avalanche alley" at Allan creek clearly marked as such lol. Brand new instantaneous lift pro rmk and a beautiful dodge truck could probly afford some gear. I just can't believe there are still people that clueless and especially his riding partner? How clueless do you have to be that you wouldn't realize there is absolutely nothing your buddie can do for you if you get caught. ...end rant. Get some gear or borrow it from someone, rent it who gives a fawk make the investment somehow to save you and your riding partners. I think I am just dumbfounded because that's actually the first time I have witnessed someone that far in the backcountry crossing Avalanche zones with absolutely no gear. It was kind of a "did that just happen" moment. Even if I didn't see his gear strapped to his sled it's just as useless if your not wearing it. But love the sled necks outfit bud you must know how to dangle. The weather was so bad today you could think your being safe and get sideswiped with no warning

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's that saying Sean.....oh ya, "you can't fix stupid"....or "more money then brains". No way a guy can feel safe without it I think. The assholes a little puckered up going through Avalanche Alley WITH gear. But hey Slednecks gear most make one invincible lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I've only been sledding actively again (I did a bunch about 20 years ago, but only ever in SK) for last season and this. Only once have I been to the mountains, but I made sure that I had ALL the gear. And I wear my avalanche bag everywhere I ride, mountains or not, as it has all my survival and first aid stuff in it. I'd rather just be used to wearing it than not. I don't care what people say under their breath about me wearing an airbag in Whitecourt. Just as easy to have to spend the night or help someone out there as it is in Vale or wherever. You wouldn't catch me in the hills without ALL the gear.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Training and education.... Equipment is crucial, but without the knowledge and practical skills to use it, your really just rolling the dice! Get your riding buddies together and get your AST1, but don't stop there. It really is only the very basics of what it takes to conduct a companion rescue! Carry on with it and take a Level 2 and companion rescue course then practice, practice practice!

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of unaware people out there.....just one thing, I am not sure what sled/truck brand has to do with anything

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've only been sledding actively again (I did a bunch about 20 years ago, but only ever in SK) for last season and this. Only once have I been to the mountains, but I made sure that I had ALL the gear. And I wear my avalanche bag everywhere I ride, mountains or not, as it has all my survival and first aid stuff in it. I'd rather just be used to wearing it than not. I don't care what people say under their breath about me wearing an airbag in Whitecourt. Just as easy to have to spend the night or help someone out there as it is in Vale or wherever. You wouldn't catch me in the hills without ALL the gear.

I was the same with my avy bag. I alway wore mine in and around whitecourt. I even took it on my sxs lol. But like said it has my survival stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of unaware people out there.....just one thing, I am not sure what sled/truck brand has to do with anything

I believe his intent was stating if he can afford the new sled and truck the proper safety gear shouldn't be a problem, naming the brand/model was just him being thorough in his rant. JMO

big_klemo

Reaction score
I feel that when we stop to buy a trail pass they should check if you have the proper gear no gear no pass, I know that they are not always there to check but it would be nice. I have friends that refuse to wear a bag or carry the navy gear so i quit going to the mountains with them its not worth it

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sound like alot of the guys on the movies!! Everyones roll models and they don't wear any gear either!

Yeah except they have a crew of expert mountain riders spotting them, a camera man watching their every move and a helicopter......

They have gear, but you're not going to wear a 25lbs avy pack when ur jumping a 150foot gap jump.

Not even close to the same thing as joe cool guy out for a rip....

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah except they have a crew of expert mountain riders spotting them, a camera man watching their every move and a helicopter......

They have gear, but you're not going to wear a 25lbs avy pack when ur jumping a 150foot gap jump.

Not even close to the same thing as joe cool guy out for a rip....

What he said...

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh no thats just totally unacceptable. ...lol.
I was out this weekend looked like everyone had the proper gear, most were smokin dope, some ****faced, seperated from there groups stuck - lost by themselves, having a few drinks at the trailer before hitting the road, but at least they were all safe with the proper gear.
You would think also if some of the people slowed down on the dope and booze that they could upgrade from their peice of **** non lifted trucks with **** tires junk to a decent lifted truck....lol.

People on here make me laugh with criticism for others but have blinders for what goes on all the time.....lol.

Last edited:

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh no thats just totally unacceptable. ...lol.
I was out this weekend looked like everyone had the proper gear, most were smokin dope, some ****faced, seperated from there groups stuck - lost by themselves, having a few drinks at the trailer before hitting the road, but at least they were all safe with the proper gear.
You would think also if some of the people slowed down on the dope and booze that they could upgrade from their peice of **** non lifted trucks with **** tires junk to a decent lifted truck....lol.

People on here make me laugh with criticism for others but have blinders for what goes on all the time.....lol.

Isn't that the FACKEN truth!!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh oh, sounds like the lib-tards are heading this direction. Get ready for Bill 7, " Sledding ? Do this or stay Home ".

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the avy gear is for everyone else you are riding with; not for you. Seems so many people say it's their choice. It's your choice to stand in an avy runout with no gear, while your buried buddy lays under the snow knowing he/she has no chance of survival cause you chose to not pack around the stuff you needed to give them a chance to go home.:rolleyes:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the avy gear is for everyone else you are riding with; not for you. Seems so many people say it's their choice. It's your choice to stand in an avy runout with no gear, while your buried buddy lays under the snow knowing he/she has no chance of survival cause you chose to not pack around the stuff you needed to give them a chance to go home.:rolleyes:

Buried buddy chose to ride with a partner that didn't have any gear. :headscratch3:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel that when we stop to buy a trail pass they should check if you have the proper gear no gear no pass, I know that they are not always there to check but it would be nice. I have friends that refuse to wear a bag or carry the navy gear so i quit going to the mountains with them its not worth it

Based on what law or regulation? Do you really want to go there? I don't. We have enough government interference in our lives. I don't want them sticking their noses in my recreation any more than they already do. If people choose to ride without their gear, that's their choice and they have the right to make that choice in our "somewhat" free democratic society. I don't have to like it, but I accept their right to be stupid. In the end it's none of my damn business what decision they make anyway.

People are so friggin high and mighty these days! Pizzes me off more than the people that are making the stupid choices. :rant:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Based on what law or regulation? Do you really want to go there? I don't. We have enough government interference in our lives. I don't want them sticking their noses in my recreation any more than they already do. If people choose to ride without their gear, that's their choice and they have the right to make that choice in our "somewhat" free democratic society. I don't have to like it, but I accept their right to be stupid. In the end it's none of my damn business what decision they make anyway.

People are so friggin high and mighty these days! Pizzes me off more than the people that are making the stupid choices. :rant:

great post moyie, just what we need is another "i know best for you" group to dictate more rules for us to follow. You guys bitch about the farmers getting told how to roll, the work site rules gone crazy, and being told where to ride or not, but lets legislate or demand this, cause " this is different. Do i agree with the point , yup, but I'm about up to here with being told how much risk or liability i"ll expose myself and my loved ones to. I don't need a babysitter. Again I say, "take off all the warning labels, this $hit'll sort itself out "

Top Bottom