Fort McMurray burning

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad too hear the news of some fire-fighters that could end up with breathing issues later on down the road.

Just watching the bill-lows of smoke rolling threw the air, and the stag-net cloud that was over hanging the city and area darn near choked me up from 500 kms away.

There is no way I could ever be close too that amount of smoke for longer then a 1/2 hour little lone day in and out over the weeks and months that many worked in up there.

If I had too be up there, I would of needed to be on supplied air 24 hours a day in order too survive any amount of time up that way.

Crappy deal for folks in that situation and the brothers and sisters that worked the front lines on the Slave lake fires a few years back.

Pal Don always thinking about the out come of folks who do this job for us !

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had tests done 2 weeks ago.

I think the tests will be every 6 months for a few years.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely unfortunate to hear this. Are these guys not supplied with some sort of respirator? Seems kinda self explanatory to be wearing something, especially with all these crazy chemical loaded materials there building houses with now.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely unfortunate to hear this. Are these guys not supplied with some sort of respirator? Seems kinda self explanatory to be wearing something, especially with all these crazy chemical loaded materials there building houses with now.

Yes, but you cant wear it 24/7 .

Most respirators are good for large particles. Full SCBA we wear structural firefighting bottles last maybe 45 minutes.

During week 1 especially we stayed on cots at Mac Island. Smoke so thick you could not see 50 feet.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are differant types of p-100 filters. The best ones are the really thick ones designed for ammonia , etc and can be used in H2S escape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems an unacceptable oversite that for a fire fighter to do their job they are put at risk of long term health issues. granted this was a once in a life time event, there should be some protocol in place to protect these firefighters from a once in a lifetime event and or some way resources (masks, tanks what ever) that should have been dropped in? Not unlike the 9-11 firefighters many have paid a big price.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are differant types of p-100 filters. The best ones are the really thick ones designed for ammonia , etc and can be used in H2S escape.

We had the p-100 filters.
Still can't wear it 24 hrs a day.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had the p-100 filters.
Still can't wear it 24 hrs a day.

Breathing through a filter all day makes a guy tired! Add that to the crazy hours you guys worked up there would be a nightmare! Not many people realize when it comes to toxic fumes a person takes in a lot of them through there eyes. So you would have to where a full face mask

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that
Breathing through a filter all day makes a guy tired! Add that to the crazy hours you guys worked up there would be a nightmare! Not many people realize when it comes to toxic fumes a person takes in a lot of them through there eyes. So you would have to where a full face mask

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wore mine even when I was driving.
The problem with the half mask when I was up there was the smoke in my eyes.

All in all it was not a good situation for anyone that was up there, and the first responders had it the worst.

From the stories told from the media and the locals, this fire and the way this province sacrificed their time to help others, I hope will not be forgotten.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wore mine even when I was driving.
The problem with the half mask when I was up there was the smoke in my eyes.

All in all it was not a good situation for anyone that was up there, and the first responders had it the worst.

From the stories told from the media and the locals, this fire and the way this province sacrificed their time to help others, I hope will not be forgotten.

Lots of us will never forget!

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture. I was wondering how it was going up there

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same location 10 months after the fire

Val Senio
Royal LePage
780-405-9359

Looks like the stone creek area?...
I was in there during the evac back in may to check on a site we have in the field not far from the dream house location. I have pics of the burnt cat and flattened car.
Went up there last month to check out the same site and took a drive around, and was pleased on the progress, the dream house is beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
728d2ff46de876931cf6bc1690b6f7e6.jpg

This one? We watched the incident and they tried towing it out but the fire took it

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep thats the one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was there all that week fighting the fire.

We watched it happen. Fire came across the City.

Top Bottom