Forster Snow conditions

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can go a long way except that the terrain is closed to sleds anywhere past whirl pool lake.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isn't the forester cabin the only cabin you can really ride right up too??
i.e. the dave white cabin, sleds have to park at the bottom and you have to hike the last 300m? and more cabins on the glacier possibly, but we all know about riding on the glacier!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isn't the forester cabin the only cabin you can really ride right up too??
i.e. the dave white cabin, sleds have to park at the bottom and you have to hike the last 300m? and more cabins on the glacier possibly, but we all know about riding on the glacier!!

Yes that is correct, no riding up to the Olive Hut on the glacier or up to the Dave White hut. If you see skiers using sleds to access the Dave White Hut, take photos and document it. Sledders always get blamed for riding up the DW cabin, when most of the time it is initially tracked by skiers using sleds to access the area (and not wanting to lug their gear the last 300 mtrs from the sleds).

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that is correct, no riding up to the Olive Hut on the glacier or up to the Dave White hut. If you see skiers using sleds to access the Dave White Hut, take photos and document it. Sledders always get blamed for riding up the DW cabin, when most of the time it is initially tracked by skiers using sleds to access the area (and not wanting to lug their gear the last 300 mtrs from the sleds).

x2, I dont think ive ever seen skiers haul their gear up.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres a couple from the weekend! Up with Notorius and the crew!

Attachments

• P1010912.jpg
    P1010912.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 378
  • P1010913.jpg
    P1010913.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 371
  • P1010914.jpg
    P1010914.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 371

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got in to invy prob bout 8, been snowing hard since! Going up forester tomorrow, if ya wanna ride ill be on the green xp!:d:d

Slammer85

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get to forester from golden? And if it's a possible location to ride for half a day on Sunday?

Thanks

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
It's too far from Golden to do a half day ride, unless you left super early. Forster is located near Radium, about a 30 - 45 min sled ride in from the staging area, thats about a 30min drive from Radium, depending on how smooth the road is haha.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get to forester from golden? And if it's a possible location to ride for half a day on Sunday?

Thanks

It's too far from Golden to do a half day ride, unless you left super early. Forster is located near Radium, about a 30 - 45 min sled ride in from the staging area, thats about a 30min drive from Radium, depending on how smooth the road is haha.

Ya you can do a half day. Done many a afternoons up there. From the staging area its a 15 min trail ride unless your going REALLY slow...(its a 20km trail)
From Golden, head to Radium. As soon as you get to radium you will hit the 4 way stop / red light, turn right. Follow that road and go across the valley and into the mountains. Eventually you will come to a intersection, go straight through. Keep following road and eventually you will come around a uphill right corner and road will split. Stick with it to the right, there wont be many tracks going left so its pretty obvoius. Shortly after you will hit the staging area!
Hopefully this helps!:d

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
Haha, 15 min? Maybe if your on speed and doin 80mile without lettin off the whole way. :rolleyes:
I have family in Invermere, and been riding that area for a long time, and never made it to the fuel drop in 15 min. Maybe 25min if the trail is freshly groomed. It must take you 3 min to get up the Paradise trail? I was being a little conservative with the times, because more than likely the road will be rough, and the trail could not be groomed. You can do a half day from Radium or Invermere, but like I said you'd have to leave pretty early from Golden if your driving home that day. Plus once you get in there if the snow is good, your half day can easily turn into a full day haha.:beer:
P.S. Don't forget your wallet at your truck, 10 dollar trail fee. Last time I was there a group of 7 douchebags said they had forgot their wallets when they were collecting. They ended up paying only 20 bucks, guy collecting was too nice. I would have made them go back to their trucks.

Slammer85

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the advice guys. What kind of riding is it up there and how are the snow conditions there rite now? From the pics it looks like a cool place to ride!

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
Basically a bunch of creek filled meadows, with a few places along the sides to play around on. Some are avy path's though. So, be mindful of your terrain. Once you get to the end of the meadows you'll come to a big pull to your left that takes you up to a couple alpine lakes. It's a small area, but if the snow is good it's one of my favourite places to ride.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, 15 min? Maybe if your on speed and doin 80mile without lettin off the whole way. :rolleyes:
I have family in Invermere, and been riding that area for a long time, and never made it to the fuel drop in 15 min. Maybe 25min if the trail is freshly groomed. It must take you 3 min to get up the Paradise trail? I was being a little conservative with the times, because more than likely the road will be rough, and the trail could not be groomed. You can do a half day from Radium or Invermere, but like I said you'd have to leave pretty early from Golden if your driving home that day. Plus once you get in there if the snow is good, your half day can easily turn into a full day haha.:beer:
P.S. Don't forget your wallet at your truck, 10 dollar trail fee. Last time I was there a group of 7 douchebags said they had forgot their wallets when they were collecting. They ended up paying only 20 bucks, guy collecting was too nice. I would have made them go back to their trucks.

Basically a bunch of creek filled meadows, with a few places along the sides to play around on. Some are avy path's though. So, be mindful of your terrain. Once you get to the end of the meadows you'll come to a big pull to your left that takes you up to a couple alpine lakes. It's a small area, but if the snow is good it's one of my favourite places to ride.

Ya 15mins:d:d, 30 if your just doing a casual ride up (20km isnt that far...). They have been grooming the trail very well lately. I grew up in this area and have ridden it probably a hundred times. Was up sat and doubt it took more than 20 to get to the fuel drop.
I wouldnt personally call it a small area if you can make it up on the lakes! Enough terrain for 50 sleds to shred up all day!:d:beer:
There are lots of creeks in the meadows by the cabin so watch for those! and the finger chutes are a high avy risk place when the conditions arent low, so be careful!:cool:

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
I meant it's a smaller zone when you compare it to the other riding area's around Golden, not that the lakes were small.haha. Lakes are the sickest part of Forster. I could do downhill powder turns all day up there haha. Hoping to this weekend.:beer:
Anyway, who's been up there lately? And hows the snow?

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself and two other guys will possibly be heading to Forster this weekend as well. Black Dodge Mega Cab with a grey 4 place trailer if you see us stop by.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be up there one day this weekend! Was up last, was about 2-3ft of fresh all around. Theres enough snow up there now to get around all the lakes and such.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they running the groomer right down to the road where it forks to get to staging or is it rutted all to SH!T and harry round the corners like usual?

Love the lakes... like keeperswilly said, downhill carving is epic in this area...

I have never been to the 2nd staging area if there is such a thing, heard it's not nearly as crazy to get up as the other one, good for big trailers. Think i heard at the main road thats well used prolly for logging you turn there and head that way rather than going straight through if you were coming from radium.

Anyone have any idea bout that one ?

Top Bottom