forester conditions

motox208

Reaction score
Any updates on conditions at forester? I was there last weekend and plan to head there the weekend of the 21st if its still rideable out there.

Reaction score
Any updates on conditions at forester? I was there last weekend and plan to head there the weekend of the 21st if its still rideable out there.
Im also very interested, but from what I saw yesterday you want to drive in from Wilmer/invermere way because the road is pretty destroyed coming from Radium and we had to pull someone out yesterday.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snow conditions yesterday were outstanding, 2+ feet on the glacier, and 20cm in the meadows. Visibility was on and off up high with it snowing hard.

parking is at 23km bridge, don't plan on bringing your big fancy trailer unless you like backing up a couple kms. not sure how the dude made out with the big 4 place enclosed.....

road is in good shape, even from radium.

trail was in relatively good shape, rumors of the groomer heading out last night.

also the olive hut is not for sledder use unless you book it and pay, if you want to eat lunch there fine but please don't fire up the stove and burn the wood unless you pack some in from the sled shed.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snow conditions yesterday were outstanding, 2+ feet on the glacier, and 20cm in the meadows. Visibility was on and off up high with it snowing hard.

parking is at 23km bridge, don't plan on bringing your big fancy trailer unless you like backing up a couple kms. not sure how the dude made out with the big 4 place enclosed.....

road is in good shape, even from radium.

trail was in relatively good shape, rumors of the groomer heading out last night.

also the olive hut is not for sledder use unless you book it and pay, if you want to eat lunch there fine but please don't fire up the stove and burn the wood unless you pack some in from the sled shed.

Sledtards- don't even bother going to the hut unless you booked it! If im up there I will just tell you to go F-yur self, don't take offense just learn how to be considerate of users that payed for it!

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledtards- don't even bother going to the hut unless you booked it! If im up there I will just tell you to go F-yur self, don't take offense just learn how to be considerate of users that payed for it!

excellent idea. maybe you could let everybody know how to book it so you don't have to tell anybody to F-themselves.

then they can tell you to F-yur self when you show up

jon

Reaction score
All of the f-ing aside is anyone planning on riding forester on Saturday the 20th, I have never been in there and looking for someone that knows the area to tag along with?

Just realized looking for a 420 ride, lol.

motox208

Reaction score
I will very likely be headed out there for a day ride on Saturday for a day ride. Riding a loud 2010 m8. Not sure how many guys ill be riding with yet

Doolvr

Reaction score

Aren't you the same guy who rides catamount before it legally opens to ?

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
excellent idea. maybe you could let everybody know how to book it so you don't have to tell anybody to F-themselves.

then they can tell you to F-yur self when you show up

Information is on the door. Hopefully user conflict works it way out and one day there will be enough funds to build onto the hut and create a warming hut for everyone to enjoy! Its been a mess for the last decade....

Last edited:

jon

Reaction score
I will very likely be headed out there for a day ride on Saturday for a day ride. Riding a loud 2010 m8. Not sure how many guys ill be riding with yet

Sounds good I'll shoot you a pm with my info, but will also be riding a very loud sled. But it's a polaris. No ones perfect.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those who want to book any of the backcountry huts in the valley here's the info
Columbia Valley Hut Society

It's a shame at how much mess is left the Olive Hut, much worse now it's open to sledders too. Old food, garbage, cans...you name it. Noone cleans this up, it's not a club cabin...it's user maintained. Locals always go in and clean it and even stock wood...so that sledders don't get a bad rap as it's there for a ski hut, but it really should be booked properly and if it's not rented and you use it for lunch it's very important to take everything with you that you take in. A club maintained cabin is a bit different, although they don't want to, you always have someone checking on it and picking up after the disrespectful peeps that insist on leaving their garbage for others. But these backcountry huts need to be user maintained, and it gets a bit annoying as a local to have them getting used and abused by what sadly is sledders. :(

The Olive Hut was partially funded by a local mother in memory of her son and daughter who both died in their prime in the backcountry (in the 80's I believe it was) The deaths were 5 years apart with both of them doing activities they loved in the backcountry so she did this in honor of them for others to enjoy what her kids enjoyed. It's made from the granite from the mountain it's built on.

ps...I just looked and there's a bit about the Olive Hut history on the site now.

Last edited:

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Forester Yesterday. The creek and Thunder Water pounded hard. Never went up over Thunder. But we did go up top of Glacier. 1 to 1.5 ft of fresh. Never went to far vis was not good off and on. Heading back tommorow. Calling for sun. Hoping to find Olive Hut just to check it out. Not quite sure how to get there tracks are hard to follow. Any help on direction would be great or If someone wants to tag along and show us.
Staying in Fairmount hot Springs.
Thanks
Shawn

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East side of glacier. Kinda hard to pick out if you haven't been there. If you see the first large ridable/tracked area on the east slope, it will be on the outcrop to the north/north east

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those who want to book any of the backcountry huts in the valley here's the info
Columbia Valley Hut Society

It's a shame at how much mess is left the Olive Hut, much worse now it's open to sledders too. Old food, garbage, cans...you name it. Noone cleans this up, it's not a club cabin...it's user maintained. Locals always go in and clean it and even stock wood...so that sledders don't get a bad rap as it's there for a ski hut, but it really should be booked properly and if it's not rented and you use it for lunch it's very important to take everything with you that you take in. A club maintained cabin is a bit different, although they don't want to, you always have someone checking on it and picking up after the disrespectful peeps that insist on leaving their garbage for others. But these backcountry huts need to be user maintained, and it gets a bit annoying as a local to have them getting used and abused by what sadly is sledders. :(

The Olive Hut was partially funded by a local mother in memory of her son and daughter who both died in their prime in the backcountry (in the 80's I believe it was) The deaths were 5 years apart with both of them doing activities they loved in the backcountry so she did this in honor of them for others to enjoy what her kids enjoyed. It's made from the granite from the mountain it's built on.

ps...I just looked and there's a bit about the Olive Hut history on the site now.

Straight from the CVHS:
"Built in 1991, this small stone hut was a joint project between the B.C.Forest Service and the Olive family. It was built in memory of Peter and Debbie Olive who died in separate mountain helicopter accidents. Both were avid hikers and skiers who cherished their time in the mountains."

Please respect the structure and use. Basically a shrine if we lived in Asia. Here not so much........

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doubled my daughter to the cabin, it is an awsome site and a wonderful tribute by a mother to her children. Sad how anyone could disrespect Olive Hut after reading the brass plaque by the front door. Good to hear it is open to bookings, would like to go back up there one day.

motox208

Reaction score
The trail is in rough shape. Parking yesterday started past the first bridge.Pretty well melted to nothing all the way to km 27 now. Most of the bridges are bare concrete. Dirt patches all the way to the fuel drop. Forecast is double digits out there next week. Snow was alright. Some fresh, wet and heavy and a tendency to slide in a few spots.

KME

Reaction score
Thanks motox208 would you be able to get in there with 3 place trailer still?? Thinking of heading out next Sunday.

Cheers -

motox208

Reaction score
You could but its not the greatest road to turn around on nor would I suggest going past the first bridge with it. Sled decks and two place trailers are definitely your best bet. And after a week of warm weather the trail will probably be close to bone dry.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree, forecast is calling for nearly +20 in the valley by Friday. if you have a big trailer park it in a good spot and shuttle the sleds up to snowline. its a pita and you gotta get there early but you won't get in a bind and also won't screw others over by being stuck or parking in the middle of the road like others have done in the past.

Top Bottom