Ford or GMC Diesel??? which is better and why??

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are awesome trucks. I test drove the new GM HD's and still like the Ford better overall. Plusher seating, sweeter torque curve for cruising around, imperceptible shifts, and I got a great deal on my 14'. Of course nothing wrong with the GM's, just pick your poison.

Obviously the reliability of the 6.7 is not proven yet in my opinion. The trans in the Ford will take more power and abuse than the GM'S. GM finally stepped up their interior but I personally didn't think it was anything special, especially after we had all been waiting on the update so long. Also the Ford has a lot more room in the cabin.

There has also been a few recalls on the new GM'S but that's par for the course on a new(ish) model.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the Fords look better. ;)

Attachments

• 20140913_154538.jpg
    20140913_154538.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Well after all the Debate I ordered the truck on Oct 28 and just got it Feb 11. Yes this is a along time to wait for a truck I agree but I am happy I got exactly what I wanted. Thanks to everyone for all there input. Heading to West Montana in a week and a Half so i will give it a good run.

Attachments

• IMG_20150213_181311.jpg
    IMG_20150213_181311.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_20150213_181323.jpg
    IMG_20150213_181323.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20150213_181331.jpg
    IMG_20150213_181331.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 273

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like dodges too. Reliable and simple to work on. Front end is garbage though. Replace with lifetime warranty parts when time comes. Ford has a nice looking and tough truck too. Not a fan of the engine though. From turbos to injectors, cracked heads, egr valve issues, fuel pressure regulator issues, etc. It's impossible to put one of these in the shop for any under hood repairs for less than $5000. When they're working good totally awesome. Based on 8 trucks from 2011 to 2014. None past 180,000 km's. The chev we had all went to mid 300 km's with virtually no engine or transmission issues. Some front ends here and there, brakes sucked on all of them, low ground clearance, ride like a car.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after all the Debate I ordered the truck on Oct 28 and just got it Feb 11. Yes this is a along time to wait for a truck I agree but I am happy I got exactly what I wanted. Thanks to everyone for all there input. Heading to West Montana in a week and a Half so i will give it a good run.

Beautiful truck, Congrats!!!

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2, Beautiful truck OP! You're going to love it. Any thoughts on rims or lift, tuning etc or is she going to stay stock?

xmsummit154

Reaction score
I factory ordered it in a SLT 3500 HD Duramax fully loaded no rear DVD. I put on a 2 inch leveling kit Willmore running boards Goodyear Duratracs Firestone airbags. HID headlights and foglights Weathertek floormats Not sure what to do for rims yet. Going to give it a few months before I decide on rims. Would like to leave the engine and programing stock unless i need to change something for mileage or power. Thanks for all the compliments.

dodgeram18

Reaction score
glad you went with the gm. it was tough for me a true dodge fan to read this tdv8 thread but gm has my 2nd spot for diesel. I know to many coworkers with previous psd that had way to many issues to risk the purchase. the only thing i can say is ford has a tough tranny, so what there is more to a truck than a transmission. gm has a proven engine no need to keep changing it like the other guy and the engine holds power even with a tune and some raping on the skinny. you will be a happy man with your new 6.6 enjoy!

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
glad you went with the gm. it was tough for me a true dodge fan to read this tdv8 thread but gm has my 2nd spot for diesel. I know to many coworkers with previous psd that had way to many issues to risk the purchase. the only thing i can say is ford has a tough tranny, so what there is more to a truck than a transmission. gm has a proven engine no need to keep changing it like the other guy and the engine holds power even with a tune and some raping on the skinny. you will be a happy man with your new 6.6 enjoy!

The Scorpion 6.7 is a whole different animal than previous PSD's. And there is a lot of good going for the new Ford's other than their trannies.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The headlight issue is funny. When I was running my 10' Cummins, that truck had junk headlights. Then I jumped in the Ford and everyone was saying how those headlights suck too.

When are we going to get some decent lighting?

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep drove mine 2 days and installed HID's
The stock projector has a good cut off line.
Doesn't effect oncoming traffic.
Good upgrade.

That's so funny, my 05 duramax has the best factory headlights i've ever seen. I'm always getting flashed by people on the highway, the dim's are almost as bright as hi-beams! Why would they every change those old ones to crappy new factory lights? Probably to charge more for the upgrades.

Cummins610

Reaction score
The headlight issue is funny. When I was running my 10' Cummins, that truck had junk headlights. Then I jumped in the Ford and everyone was saying how those headlights suck too.

When are we going to get some decent lighting?

Bothers me too, the year 2015 and $60,000 to 80,000 sticker prices and they can't figure out how to offer good factory lighting... I always thought the Chevys and gms had the best factory lights but I guess not anymore.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bothers me too, the year 2015 and $60,000 to 80,000 sticker prices and they can't figure out how to offer good factory lighting... I always thought the Chevys and gms had the best factory lights but I guess not anymore.

Actually the Chevy's still have good lighting its just the GMC that has the terrible lights...we have both 2015 Chevy and GMC for work trucks and no issues with the Chevy lights.

Top Bottom