Ford or GMC Diesel??? which is better and why??

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Hey guys just looking for honest thoughts on which diesel truck is better for power and mileage and durability. Let me know your thoughts.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For engines I would give the Powerstoke a slight edge. The duramax is known for having top end issues.
For ease of working on, the Duramax has a huge edge. Ford cab has to come of for basically anything.
Transmissions are about equal in my opinion.
Chevs have independent front suspension, which is complete trash, they do not hold up.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your intended use for it has a lot to do with which one would be better. pounding it down rough roads all day? go with the Ford. for everything else, the GM gets my vote.

Reactions: GRD

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
power: ford
mileage: GMC
reliability: ford
ford has a better extended warrantee 7 year 300K(diesel powertrain)...5 year 160k everything else...gm's 5 year 160k warrantee has a lot of exclusions
comfort and styling: GMC

I went with ford and I love my 2015 f-350 diesel

travrgtr

Reaction score
my 2008 chevy has 300k on it. 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires. I do the front ball joints every 60 -70 k but I use that truck for dragging my jet boat and atvs around and it gets abused. I have had no other issues with it.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ford employee pricing $58,000 F250 loaded with FX4 everything but sunroof and Nav. Came from a 2007 duramax which was excellent until my dealership smashed it up while it was in for an oil change! Went with a Ford for the first time and love it! Do not miss the independent suspension as when hauling sleds on the deck the Ford feels much more solid in the front end and more control. My biggest difference is being 6'4 the room inside the cab of the Ford is way bigger and the back as well for my kids have more leg room even the new design Chevy I would still say more room in the Ford! Love the steering of the Ford and turning radius is much better. This is my opinion and I have owned both and I really love my Ford, 41,000 km no issue or recalls!

Billydozer56

Reaction score
This is the fastest way to open a can of worms lol

Both will tow what ever you need. What ever gives you the best deal. Good luck with this lol

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I owned only dual r w trucks. 2010 3500. Dodge. 2011. King ranch. Now a 2013 Denali 3500. My Dodge Lots of issues but were not going there. My ford had gobs of power. 130km with 30' trailer In any snow or wind and it was rock solid. The interior was huge. Absolutely loved my ford. My new truck. Denali 3500. I like it. But. Plain Jane trim. Small cab especially in the back. Paper thin paint job. Missing power compared to the ford. Terrible nav stereo set up. Sounds like **** too. And the cooling fans are always on which robs another 40 hp. The fan on my ford hardly came on. On my gmc the fan is on before im even a 1/3 of the way up hills while towing. The Likes. Nice to drive. Transmission is awesome but not a very good jake brake. Good on fuel. Terrible headlights before I did hid conversion. The reason I tried a gmc is they had awesome interest rates. At the time ford was around 6% and not moving any time soon. And I got a gmac buy at .9

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I owned only dual r w trucks. 2010 3500. Dodge. 2011. King ranch. Now a 2013 Denali 3500. My Dodge Lots of issues but were not going there. My ford had gobs of power. 130km with 30' trailer In any snow or wind and it was rock solid. The interior was huge. Absolutely loved my ford. My new truck. Denali 3500. I like it. But. Plain Jane trim. Small cab especially in the back. Paper thin paint job. Missing power compared to the ford. Terrible nav stereo set up. Sounds like **** too. And the cooling fans are always on which robs another 40 hp. The fan on my ford hardly came on. On my gmc the fan is on before im even a 1/3 of the way up hills while towing. The Likes. Nice to drive. Transmission is awesome but no jake brake. Good on fuel. Terrible headlights before I did hid conversion. The reason I tried a gmc is they had awesome interest rates. At the time ford was around 6% and not moving any time soon. And I got a gmac buy at .9
Do u have a screen front on ur 2013??

U do have a exhaust brake, don't ya??

Never seen a 2011 and up without

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do u have a screen front on ur 2013??

U do have a exhaust brake, don't ya??

Never seen a 2011 and up without

It Was supposed to say not a good jake brake. Dam i phone. The dodge /ford I had did have a more powerful exhaust brake. And no screens on the grill. It's only got one sled and camping season on it. 32,000 km to date. The fan is on lots for sure and the dealers said its normal. I'm not saying my gmc isn't a good truck. 25 trips to revy last year and shes a great truck. But would I get a other. I don't think so.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It Was supposed to say not a good jake brake. Dam i phone. The dodge /ford I had did have a more powerful exhaust brake. And no screens on the grill. It's only got one sled and camping season on it. 32,000 km to date. The fan is on lots for sure and the dealers said its normal. I'm not saying my gmc isn't a good truck. 25 trips to revy last year and shes a great truck. But would I get a other. I don't think so.
I.C

Yes the brake isn't as holding back power as the dodge ect... But the Allison joined to the brake down shifts and holds back too...

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I.C

Yes the brake isn't as holding back power as the dodge ect... But the Allison joined to the brake down shifts and holds back too...

True. I love the tranny. Flawless shifting up and down

Daine

Reaction score
New power stroke is 440hp/860tq. Straight sassy.
Best chassis. interiors make chevs look like a base model civic.
The torque shift is on par with the allison.

Too bad the 4L80e wasn't an option on new trucks... 6 speeds suck.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

New ford isn't actually putting out hose numbers.. They took the new cummins, powerjoke, and Duramax out for some competitions. Duramax flat out cleaned house.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes 4l80e are good trans, but why do 6 speed suck??

8 speed well yes I agree there

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New ford isn't actually putting out hose numbers.. They took the new cummins, powerjoke, and Duramax out for some competitions. Duramax flat out cleaned house.
I work at a dealer so i get to drive new stuff all the time and had a chance last week to drive a 2014 3500 denali while doing a used car inspection and just seat of the pants feeling the ford would eat that denali. That and the interior is joke on the gmc, cheap and the all the switches are in dumb spots not user friendly.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work at a dealer so i get to drive new stuff all the time and had a chance last week to drive a 2014 3500 denali while doing a used car inspection and just seat of the pants feeling the ford would eat that denali. That and the interior is joke on the gmc, cheap and the all the switches are in dumb spots not user friendly.

Not a big fan of the new interior or exterior styling. I haven't driven one yet but my buddy says it's a hell of a nice ride and much quieter than the 2013. I'm a bit disappointed at the power - apparently rumors that they were going to have an extra 100hp and 100ft/lb of torque turned out to be false.

Top Bottom