Ford or GMC Diesel??? which is better and why??

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2015 chevy interiors have come along ways since the previous one. There's a couple good movies on you tube that compAre the 2015s while towing up hills. Like stated above if your doing lots of ****ty roads and mudding get the ford if your doing more highway get the chev. I just ordered in a 15 chev dually ! Going to sell my 07 classic now. I priced out the ford dually a too and there slightly cheaper. Dodge was out of the ball park for price

both are good trucks

Billydozer56

Reaction score
I work at a mine, the truck of choice is Ford. They hold up better if your going to bag on your truck alot, the mine pick ups and even the contractors like finning all drive fords. from F-250 to the F-550. the bodes hold up to behing packed with mud, the chevys split and fenders fall off. The fords have more clearance and tougher suspension. But these trucks are not put under ordinary circumstances. Not to say the fords dont break down ether, but tend to stand up to the abuse alot better. If you need somthing for the highway and the odd logging road chev or ford will do just fine. my car pool guy has a 04 duramax he has babied and its been great. I have not driven the new trucks yet from ether brand. But i bet both trucks will serve you well, I would go for the best deal I could find on a truck. I have not seen anyone build a truck with out there quirks yet. if they do please let me know lol

cheers

Daine

Reaction score
Always shifting. the 100-110 range is prime material to be constantly going from 5-6. Towing is 4-5-6 deal. with gasers its a 3-4-5-6. Wouldn't be bad except all the new trucks de-fuel to shift which means hesitation. pisses me off.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the Duramax motor and allison tranny, they are a tough proven combo, yet I have nothing good to say about the new body style. So I bought an F-350 Powerstroke, the interior seems more modern, the motor is a vast improvement from the navistar days, and the trannies are supposed to be bullet-proof. Although there were some turbo issues on the 11-14's this should be resolved now for 2015 with the new turbo, as well as a stronger exhaust brake as the one on my 2014 is a joke. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ford, I think ford has worked very hard to improve the reputation of their diesel trucks.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always shifting. the 100-110 range is prime material to be constantly going from 5-6. Towing is 4-5-6 deal. with gasers its a 3-4-5-6. Wouldn't be bad except all the new trucks de-fuel to shift which means hesitation. pisses me off.
What kind of 6 speed truck u talking about??

Have u ever tried using manual 5 th and click it into 6th on down hill runs..

Makes a mileage difference by quite a bit

Also the gas pots, need the torque limits taken out... Makes the 6 l a way better truck by at least half

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Most of the new trucks you can lock out 6th gear so that it shifts less, 6th is there to get better highway economy when empty, spinning a new diesel at 2000rpm on the highway while empty is unnecessary because they have lots of low end torque, and also burns more fuel.

As for the defuel, it is a necessary evil, transmissions don't live long when powered through a shift, this energy goes into the clutch packs and internal components and significantly expedites wear and build heats, not to mention the shock loading induced on the internal components (think of it like shifting a standard with letting out of the gas). Automatics have been defueling during shifts for a very long time now, it just seems more pronounced on some of the newer vehicles, but I can live with defuel during shifts if it means a longer transmission life.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work at a dealer so i get to drive new stuff all the time and had a chance last week to drive a 2014 3500 denali while doing a used car inspection and just seat of the pants feeling the ford would eat that denali. That and the interior is joke on the gmc, cheap and the all the switches are in dumb spots not user friendly.[/QUOT

The ford has the most power by far. Myself. Crazy ken and 925 cat from snow n dust all have new dually diesels. We alternate pulling my 28' encosed trailer with all 3 trucks. The passing we can do with the ford uphill is awesome. Kens dodge has a small tune and full deletes goes similar to my gmc. My duramax is stock. I read that article that said gmc was the fastest loaded or empty. Pffft. Whatever.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ford has the most power by far. Myself. Crazy ken and 925 cat from snow n dust all have new dually diesels. We alternate pulling my 28' encosed trailer with all 3 trucks. The passing we can do with the ford uphill is awesome. Kens dodge has a small tune and full deletes goes similar to my gmc. My duramax is stock. I read that article that said gmc was the fastest loaded or empty. Pffft. Whatever.

If that was the same article I read (Diesel Power?) the testing was also done at high elevations, and the smaller Ford turbo just can't pull in as much air, and the Duramax wins, but closer to sea level the Ford regains power.

BTW at the local Dyno Day there was a stock 2014 F350 6.7 Dually dynoed and it made 344 rwhp.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that was the same article I read (Diesel Power?) the testing was also done at high elevations, and the smaller Ford turbo just can't pull in as much air, and the Duramax wins, but closer to sea level the Ford regains power.

BTW at the local Dyno Day there was a stock 2014 F350 6.7 Dually dynoed and it made 344 rwhp.

Also the chev had like 456 gears compared to the fords 373. Can't remember the exact numbers

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also the chev had like 456 gears compared to the fords 373. Can't remember the exact numbers
What where the ratios of the two transmissions as far as gears go??

Trans ratios also affect final drive ratios

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chevs only come with 3.73 for the diesels. The ford in that match at 4.30 I believe

Daine

Reaction score
What kind of 6 speed truck u talking about??

Have u ever tried using manual 5 th and click it into 6th on down hill runs..

Makes a mileage difference by quite a bit

Also the gas pots, need the torque limits taken out... Makes the 6 l a way better truck by at least half

Manual mode defeats the whole purpose of an automatic.... Not saying they don't get good mileage just don't see the hype behind the 5+ speed trannys.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 fords as far as I know have 3.73 even on the dually wheeled trucks. Unless its the 450's

I did find the 2011 diesel power king of the hill challenge article in my collection, all 3 trucks ran the 3.73 rear end, the ford did best at low altitude and the gm best at high altitude, the acceleration testing was essentially a wash, but the ford got a little better fuel economy. And the dodge got last in almost every category, including the worst fuel mileage, big surprise.

Daine

Reaction score
Most of the new trucks you can lock out 6th gear so that it shifts less, 6th is there to get better highway economy when empty, spinning a new diesel at 2000rpm on the highway while empty is unnecessary because they have lots of low end torque, and also burns more fuel.

As for the defuel, it is a necessary evil, transmissions don't live long when powered through a shift, this energy goes into the clutch packs and internal components and significantly expedites wear and build heats, not to mention the shock loading induced on the internal components (think of it like shifting a standard with letting out of the gas). Automatics have been defueling during shifts for a very long time now, it just seems more pronounced on some of the newer vehicles, but I can live with defuel during shifts if it means a longer transmission life.

If the OEMs put "heavy duty" transmissions in their heavy duty trucks we would have never heard of de-fueling. Its not required, just saves their cute trannys from abuse it should have been designed for.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is sure would be nice to still be able to get a real manual trans in a truck

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This was one of the updates done to the 2015 powerstroke. it got a larger more efficient turbo. supposed to cure the high elevation issue.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ecodiesel... I just love getting 27 mpg towing around a pwc! The Laramie package is super cozy to drive, heated steering wheel gets a two thumbs up from me.

linksys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ecodiesel... I just love getting 27 mpg towing around a pwc! The Laramie package is super cozy to drive, heated steering wheel gets a two thumbs up from me.

ooooooh....heated steering wheel

And heated tailgate too?
For your passengers? who are pushing?

Top Bottom