For those that don't carry a spot,inreach or sat phone why not?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was learning to drive truck,I was taught to brake without the jake brake and learning proper braking techniques and hill decent.

Moral of the story, dont rely on a electronic device to get you out of a bind, if you rely to heavy on it, when it doesn’t work it can make matters worse.

BTW I actually had my jakes fail on a truck when I was coming down a mountain.

Last edited:

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point! But you have the Jake so its a lot easier when you use it. Same as Electronic device. It won't change your bad judgment, but can sure help if you made it.

When I was learning to drive truck,I was taught to brake without the jake brake and learning proper braking techniques and hill decent.

Moral of the story, dont rely on a electronic device to get you out of a bind, if you rely to heavy on it, when it doesn’t work it can make matters worse.

BTW I actually had my jakes fail on a truck when I was coming down a mountain.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the market is but I would chip in for an avy bag with probe and transceiver. If 20 guys chipped in to buy five rigs the acquisition cost is minimal. There should also be a way to compensate the person who is acting as a depot and checking the equipment for obvious problems and basic functionality. Alternately, I would be happy to rent instead of relying on the "kindness of others." As I mentioned, if I purchase an avy bag and only wear it twice a year, after five years you have to wonder if it is going to work anyway.

what is the market for renting this type of gear? I've often considered buying a handful of setups and renting them out. Close to Edmonton, pick up on your way out, drop off on your way back.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I look at having the electronic devices as a plan B.

My plan A is of course not to need to pull them out.
But when things happen, it's nice to have. (Ex. In a new area, get in a ways following tracks. Weather changes, your pretty sure you know the way back, the GPS can confirm your thoughts if you are right or not).
But you cant depend on plan B if plan A fails, because plan B might not work either.
Therefore you and your group will have to come up with the best plan C depending on your individual situation.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In revelstoke for the past week I made 10 to 15 sat phone calls in the backcountry all of which connected quickly and only dropped one call. Walked ten steps and turned 90 degrees and it reconnected.

All the calls were made from within the shelter of tree cover not any ridges or peaks.

Sat phones to me are life saving. I share the sat phone with catrider, he has it or i have it when were together. I don't have it all the time when i ride, it really depends who and where i'm riding with and some times catrider doesn't share..... LOL.
They are expensive if your a one season user thus the beauty of the Inreach devices and Spots.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard there is a Sledder lost up at Blue Lake in Sicamous.. just read S&R found his sled and are snowshoeing in his tracks now to locate.. Hoping for a safe return.

Reactions: RXN

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was hound walking out a spur road by chopper this am
Bet he wished he had a spot-x or inreach..........

Just selfish not to have one now adays.
Putting SAR at risk for no good reason.

Should be no search in SAR.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bet he wished he had a spot-x or inreach..........

Just selfish not to have one now adays.
Putting SAR at risk for no good reason.

Should be no search in SAR.
They had one, his buddy had one and got out

He was separated from other guy, and kept going I guess

Not sure 100% on that tho

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now I think one of the two guys that called it in had a spot or inreach

As when I got the call they had GPS location for search

Either that or they got cell service and called sar in

I didn't go this time so I'm not 100% sure

t300

Reaction score
So 4 guys in the group, they split up 2 and 2, and then the lost 2 guys each went on their own? And the last guy didn’t stay put? Did I get that right?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So 4 guys in the group, they split up 2 and 2, and then the lost 2 guys each went on their own? And the last guy didn’t stay put? Did I get that right?
And you missed the part where the last guy didn't have any working forms of communications.

Top Bottom