Fly in Fly out sledding setups?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a successful fly in Fly out sledding setup?

I like riding in the Revelstoke - Sicamous area.

Was thinking of flying from Edmonton to Kelowna. Leaving a truck with a deck somewhere there.

And then putting my sled and trailer in secure storage somewhere.

Pipedream?

Any ideas?

Last edited:

scully

Reaction score
We have been doing it since 2013/2014 season. Depending where you want to leave your truck it's up to $900/6 months at the Kelowna Airport. We leave our gear, sleds and trailer at a B&B. We currently only ride Sicamous. We would fly Wednesday from Fort Mcmrray at 5pm and be at our destination for 12am. Ready to ride at 8am. Ride a half day Sunday, fly out of Kelowna at 7pm, back to the Mac at 1230am. When we started this the flights where about $380 return, last season the where closer to $700 return. It's becoming cheaper to drive, if you drive, you can ride more places also. I not sure if I offered you any advice or not. It really depends on your group and available days if it would work for you.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to think if you contact anyone of the guides or places you want to stay where you want to frequent they will make it happen for you.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been doing it since 2013/2014 season. Depending where you want to leave your truck it's up to $900/6 months at the Kelowna Airport. We leave our gear, sleds and trailer at a B&B. We currently only ride Sicamous. We would fly Wednesday from Fort Mcmrray at 5pm and be at our destination for 12am. Ready to ride at 8am. Ride a half day Sunday, fly out of Kelowna at 7pm, back to the Mac at 1230am. When we started this the flights where about $380 return, last season the where closer to $700 return. It's becoming cheaper to drive, if you drive, you can ride more places also. I not sure if I offered you any advice or not. It really depends on your group and available days if it would work for you.
Good to know it's working for people. Thx

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to think if you contact anyone of the guides or places you want to stay where you want to frequent they will make it happen for you.
Don't really want a guide or anything. More just a place to park all my ****. Probably stay different places depending on where I want to sled.

You know what would be awesome.
A heated storage bay that you could fit an enclosed trailer in.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Investigate what kind of weather conditions will cancel the flights. Not great if every time it snows in Revy the plane is grounded. Not saying that is the case, but if you find some guy with a Cessna 182 that will be the case. If the guy has a sweet twin turboprop with commercial license, instrument rating, and whatever else it'll be more like a Westjet / AC.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Investigate what kind of weather conditions will cancel the flights. Not great if every time it snows in Revy the plane is grounded. Not saying that is the case, but if you find some guy with a Cessna 182 that will be the case. If the guy has a sweet twin turboprop with commercial license, instrument rating, and whatever else it'll be more like a Westjet / AC.
Definitely thinking more westjet.
I like small planes, just not in the mountains during the winter.

I know fog shuts down the abbatsford flight quite often. I think the Kelowna flight is a little more reliable.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
https://youtu.be/3PpVAr3gvDw

My buddy used to fly me in to our cabin all winter in his jet ranger out of springbank. We even stopped at skyline for burgers. He crashed outside of Saskatoon a few years back and passed away. We always laughed about flying though because every trip we had to set down for weather somewhere. One time we sat 10miles out of revy on an island on the ilicilewat river watching cars go by all night for 14hrs. Our saying was if you have time to spare go by air!! When it went good we were 1.5hrs hangar to cabin.

scully

Reaction score
Definitely thinking more westjet.
I like small planes, just not in the mountains during the winter.

I know fog shuts down the abbatsford flight quite often. I think the Kelowna flight is a little more reliable.

We have been delayed a few times in Kelowna. Flights on Sunday start in Vancouver.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/3PpVAr3gvDw

My buddy used to fly me in to our cabin all winter in his jet ranger out of springbank. We even stopped at skyline for burgers. He crashed outside of Saskatoon a few years back and passed away. We always laughed about flying though because every trip we had to set down for weather somewhere. One time we sat 10miles out of revy on an island on the ilicilewat river watching cars go by all night for 14hrs. Our saying was if you have time to spare go by air!! When it went good we were 1.5hrs hangar to cabin.
That would be mint, lift the sleds in, skip the whoops.

Sorry about your buddy.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
That would be mint, lift the sleds in, skip the whoops.

Sorry about your buddy.
Ya it was a crappy morning seeing the picture of the chopper on global and not being able to get ahold of him. I spoke to him 10min before he left that evening so I knew it was him.

I tried the west jet jet thing into Kamloops as I have a buddy that works at executive flight there so he would grab me and we would head to the cabin but it was actually quicker driving from brooks than flying by the time you did the airport thing and still had a 2hr drive at each end.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contact Rene St Onge at Eagle Valley Lodge in Sicamous. He has a ton of storage he stores boats and sleds for people and has the lodge that sleeps a ton of people
Lmfao, used to think he was cool

Now I know he's a douche bag, totally way to much to park your stuff there, and the lodge is a stink beatle heaven

Too each there own tho

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years back we had a hangar lined up that we could rent in Mcbride. We have a Cessna 182 with an IO550 engine in it that we can make some pretty wicked time in and thought it was going to be great. Leave truck and trailer in the hangar when not there ect but the white knuckle flying through the rocks just wasnt worth it and chasing the storms to get good snow often left us grounded for longer than we planned. Didnt quite work out the way we thought. The commercial flight option might work out. I know a guy on here that has a place in Fernie and flies into Kelowna and loves it.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad but true.... Guy is an unbelievable rider as well, but after a couple of days of being around him we found everyone just being pissed at each other which has never happened in 6 years. He's one of those "why are you struggling with this?", doesn't stop to help anyone get unstuck etc bull****.

Never stayed at the lodge though.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad but true.... Guy is an unbelievable rider as well, but after a couple of days of being around him we found everyone just being pissed at each other which has never happened in 6 years. He's one of those "why are you struggling with this?", doesn't stop to help anyone get unstuck etc bull****.

Oh ya he can ride, but if I got as many days in as him so would I be able to ride like that

But it's gone to his head, and that's half of the sh!t attitude

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it was a crappy morning seeing the picture of the chopper on global and not being able to get ahold of him. I spoke to him 10min before he left that evening so I knew it was him.

I tried the west jet jet thing into Kamloops as I have a buddy that works at executive flight there so he would grab me and we would head to the cabin but it was actually quicker driving from brooks than flying by the time you did the airport thing and still had a 2hr drive at each end.
I knew Mitch as well . Very sad !

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah I have heard that he likes to take groups in to terrian that they have no business being in. Enjoys watching the struggle.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lmfao, used to think he was cool

Now I know he's a douche bag, totally way to much to park your stuff there, and the lodge is a stink beatle heaven

Too each there own tho

Haha. The place is a dump. He gave us **** for not making our beds in the morning.

Top Bottom