Flatlander help

SkyRyder55

Reaction score
Hey guys. Im from manitoba and me and 2 buddies are planning on heading out to BC mid February. We are planning on renting sleds and getting a tour of the backcountry for 2 days of riding. Wanting some imput on good shops to deal with or who to avoid. We plan on home basing out of The Great Divide Lodge.
If there is a different riding area you would highly recommend please share.
This will be our first time riding in the mountains. But we want the full deep powder mountain sled experience.
Cheers

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well first off, not sure if that's the place to get a full deep powder experience

Revy ect would be more of a shoe in, golden can be hit or miss

Mabe try the glacier house, they have sleds, guides, rooms all at one place,

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
while there are a few places to rent sleds in golden, Arron at GSR / mountain motor sports is where I'm telling you to go !!!

great people and an all round great experiance will b had ...

renting from him is how it all started for me ...

Pro-Am Chris

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
while there are a few places to rent sleds in golden, Arron at GSR / mountain motor sports is where I'm telling you to go !!!

great people and an all round great experiance will b had ...

X2!!!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't stay in Field, it's a national park so you will be travelling a long way to riding.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't stay in Field, it's a national park so you will be travelling a long way to riding.

Thats relative.... 30min to golden, 1.5hrs to radium, 2hrs to revy. Food is pretty dam good in field, views are great on a good snow year, and town atmosphere is very positive.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats relative.... 30min to golden, 1.5hrs to radium, 2hrs to revy. Food is pretty dam good in field, views are great on a good snow year, and town atmosphere is very positive.
Golden or Revy seem like it would make a lot more sense for being central to staging areas. Field is nice for sure but how is the attitude towards sledders?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus, they are looking for the full powder experience..... Based out of field isn't going to be that... But to each there own

SkyRyder55

Reaction score
Plus, they are looking for the full powder experience..... Based out of field isn't going to be that... But to each there own

I guess I should have clarified. The great Divide lodge is where we plan to sleep but we are planning on renting out of golden. We have no issue with driving the Houston golden. Cheap accommodations at great Divide and we plan on doing some snowboarding at lake Louise.
And opinions on snow peak rentals in golden?

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have clarified. The great Divide lodge is where we plan to sleep but we are planning on renting out of golden. We have no issue with driving the Houston golden. Cheap accommodations at great Divide and we plan on doing some snowboarding at lake Louise.
And opinions on snow peak rentals in golden?
Rent from Golden Snowmobile Rentals. By far the best guys in the area.

SkyRyder55

Reaction score
Well I tool your guys advice and went with golden snow rentals. Kim was really good to deal with and we got a good deal. So we are booked for Feb 18 and 19 mountain tours.
Very excited.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. Best advice I can give for your preparation is for you guys to spend some time exercising in the couple months leading up to your trip. The better shape you are in, the more riding you will do. I know first hand.

SkyRyder55

Reaction score
Yeah I've already started. We also plan on snowboarding 2 days while we are out. Will be a tough week.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you made a good decision ...

let us know a few days before you arrive and we'll give you advise on best place to ride due to conditions.

quartz creek is great on a pow day but gets tracked out fast.

if you can ride, gorman is better. but gota have good vis

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shadam, what's your stance on Silent? I went there once early in the season a couple years ago, before I knew how to ride, and was pretty freaked out. Pretty much got to the top of the waterfall and said 'I think I'm staying here, have fun guys.' Quartz is real easy to get in and out of, and Gorman is pretty easy to get in and out of, in comparison.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silent is one of my favourite areas to go. The long drive and the long trail in tend to deter some guys, but it's worth it.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Do a little youtube research on Avalanches, get to know the basics (slope angle, terrain traps, weak layers, rescue equipment, avalanche.ca etc) even if you aren't able to take a course. Everywhere is avy terrain around Golden so prepare as best you can and rent beacons/shovels/probles and know how to use them.

Quartz is probably best for first time mountain riders, but it's popular and gets tracked out fast. If there hasn't been a recent dump of snow before you ride, maybe look at getting a guide? (He'll take you to hidden pockets of pow, keep you safe, and maybe even help dig your butts out).

X2 on the get in shape... it's a work out. Upper & lower back and legs.

SkyRyder55

Reaction score
,we are getting a guide for the two days of sledding. We are renting from golden sled rentals. Guides fron them. I trust he will keep us safe from avalanche territory. As well as basic avalanche awareness and training at beginning of trip.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shadam, what's your stance on Silent? I went there once early in the season a couple years ago, before I knew how to ride, and was pretty freaked out. Pretty much got to the top of the waterfall and said 'I think I'm staying here, have fun guys.' Quartz is real easy to get in and out of, and Gorman is pretty easy to get in and out of, in comparison.

the area is pretty easy to get around in, once you get to the top of the so called water fall climb there is 2 lakes with lots of easy riding. Go further nw and you'll find another bowl and some bigger pulls, trees. Probably my favorite spot to ride, and the best grooming imo.

Top Bottom