Fix Kit Install First Timer

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost looks like you got a little cold seize as well.

Also agree. Trying to decide if this is in fact my issues. Did this scoring happen over the last 150 miles or did it happen all at once. First start up?

Need to decide the cause before putting back together to ensure doesnt happen again. Heading to Sicamous Thursday night lol

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on the cold seize! Those are wiseco pistons? The sled needs to be hot before driving the sled not warm but hot! And if you stop for even 5-10min the sled needs to be warmed up again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on the cold seize! Those are wiseco pistons? The sled needs to be hot before driving the sled not warm but hot! And if you stop for even 5-10min the sled needs to be warmed up again!

Definitely looks like a cold seize. In your experience could this have happened at first start up? Cause this issue happened pretty much the first time I took it out for a ride. Otherwise I'm still looking else where for my mid range hiccup or bog

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Also I never touched the throttle until it hit 120 and would also let it get back above 100 after lunch or when stopping during the day. Only once did I run it about 100m when it was warming up and was at 80 degrees

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you rebuilt it you just did the top end or did you do the whole motor. If you did the top end I can't see it happening at first start up. But if you had the motor completely out and you never primed the oil pump then maybe. When I put motors together I like to put a few cap fulls of oil in each cylinder in down in the crank case. And then a cap or so on top of each piston, along with tons of oil all over the parts. It might cost you a set of plugs but at least nothing is dry on start up!

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you rebuilt it you just did the top end or did you do the whole motor. If you did the top end I can't see it happening at first start up. But if you had the motor completely out and you never primed the oil pump then maybe. When I put motors together I like to put a few cap fulls of oil in each cylinder in down in the crank case. And then a cap or so on top of each piston, along with tons of oil all over the parts. It might cost you a set of plugs but at least nothing is dry on start up!

Just the top end. I believe I had enough oil as I coated everything what I thought to be pretty liberally, almost dripping in oil for the most part. I want to say this was a matter of too small ring gap but it's so tough to tell.

Just a thought here. If I was to file the rings to a bigger gap (say 22 to 23 thou and put it all back together as is would it clean up the mid range? Cause in theory that was the only part that made me tear it down now

TJ(turbojoe)

Reaction score
Just the top end. I believe I had enough oil as I coated everything what I thought to be pretty liberally, almost dripping in oil for the most part. I want to say this was a matter of too small ring gap but it's so tough to tell.

Just a thought here. If I was to file the rings to a bigger gap (say 22 to 23 thou and put it all back together as is would it clean up the mid range? Cause in theory that was the only part that made me tear it down now

I used .022 on both my sleds and hammered the oil to everything plus 2L oil in each first tank. It smoked for the first tank on each and so far I got 400miles on my one turbo and 200 on the other this year. And running strong 122lbs compression all around . If your top end was fairly new and you never did anything to the cylinders and if you didn't check the I.D. of each cylinder I would be going more than .019 but that's just my opinion. I feel your pain it sucks ass having issues.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used .022 on both my sleds and hammered the oil to everything plus 2L oil in each first tank. It smoked for the first tank on each and so far I got 400miles on my one turbo and 200 on the other this year. And running strong 122lbs compression all around . If your top end was fairly new and you never did anything to the cylinders and if you didn't check the I.D. of each cylinder I would be going more than .019 but that's just my opinion. I feel your pain it sucks ass having issues.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Based on your theory and others above my issue was ring gap. Time to figure out if I can re use Pistons or cylinder get some new parts and try again. Big pass in the ass but lesson learned. I just want to ride a working sled now

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you can catch a nail in the cylinder it will need to be freshened up at best, but more than likely re nikasil plated and at bare minimum new rings on the Pistons. If the Pistons have scoring that can catch a nail too I certainly wouldn't be putting them back in the fresh bores (new rings or not) . I would not be running the rings that passed over the scores in my personal equipment and I don't suggest you do either. Parts are cheap when you do it once and do it right. Helicopter rides are quite pricey.... And so is the cost of the belts and beer to pay your buddies off for dragging you out of the back 40 if it is even possible. It is also that much harder to swallow when you are there for 2 more days of your buddies out riding and you riding the bar stool.

I have 2 2013's both with mtntk fix kits. I set both sets of ring gaps to 21 thou and have been very happy with performance. One of these motors has seen substantially more mods ie timing,compression,porting etc and one bare bones stock.

Let us know what you end up doing. Thursday is coming fast!

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you can catch a nail in the cylinder it will need to be freshened up at best, but more than likely re nikasil plated and at bare minimum new rings on the Pistons. If the Pistons have scoring that can catch a nail too I certainly wouldn't be putting them back in the fresh bores (new rings or not) . I would not be running the rings that passed over the scores in my personal equipment and I don't suggest you do either. Parts are cheap when you do it once and do it right. Helicopter rides are quite pricey.... And so is the cost of the belts and beer to pay your buddies off for dragging you out of the back 40 if it is even possible. It is also that much harder to swallow when you are there for 2 more days of your buddies out riding and you riding the bar stool.

Let us know what you end up doing. Thursday is coming fast!

Well ended up going down to Mot's machinery and they deciced to give honing out the scoring a go, cylinders turned out great actually and Tom suggusteed that I use them and will have no issues. That was a win for me as I was able to get away without doing a cylinder exchange (around $600). Since my block was there I had them pull out a new set of Woessner, gap the rings to 0.022-0.023 for me. We measured up and the pistons are exactly the same size so we saw no issue with mixing the woessner pistons with MtnTek's shim. Went home tuesday night put it all back together and did a couple of heat cycles. Its now loaded in the trailer and headed for revy tonight! A couple of notes for this time around...

- ring gap is at 0.022
- JMXC I agree with you on the bolts now... I had to torque to 44ft/lbs before I felt comfortable that everything was tight enough
- Mixed 1 litre of oil into a fresh tank of tank of fuel for break in. Also took the oil cap off for heat cycles to pull just a tad more
- Seems to shake maybe a bit less, idles about the same and same time to warm up

I hope my issues are solved now, will get a ride report tomorrow night!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well ended up going down to Mot's machinery and they deciced to give honing out the scoring a go, cylinders turned out great actually and Tom suggusteed that I use them and will have no issues. That was a win for me as I was able to get away without doing a cylinder exchange (around $600). Since my block was there I had them pull out a new set of Woessner, gap the rings to 0.022-0.023 for me. We measured up and the pistons are exactly the same size so we saw no issue with mixing the woessner pistons with MtnTek's shim. Went home tuesday night put it all back together and did a couple of heat cycles. Its now loaded in the trailer and headed for revy tonight! A couple of notes for this time around...

- ring gap is at 0.022
- JMXC I agree with you on the bolts now... I had to torque to 44ft/lbs before I felt comfortable that everything was tight enough
- Mixed 1 litre of oil into a fresh tank of tank of fuel for break in. Also took the oil cap off for heat cycles to pull just a tad more
- Seems to shake maybe a bit less, idles about the same and same time to warm up

I hope my issues are solved now, will get a ride report tomorrow night!

I think you will like the wossners a lot better. The shake could be from the cylinders firing a lot harder

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Final update for this thread, finally. Rode the past two days. Sled ran like an absolute top, took it somewhat easy yesterday but ran it pretty hard today and not one issue! Noticed a slight difference between the lighter weisco and the woessners, first day it was having trouble pulling my clutching but today was way better. Maybe just all the oil in the tank first day. 100 miles total and I'm a happy camper!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Final update for this thread, finally. Rode the past two days. Sled ran like an absolute top, took it somewhat easy yesterday but ran it pretty hard today and not one issue! Noticed a slight difference between the lighter weisco and the woessners, first day it was having trouble pulling my clutching but today was way better. Maybe just all the oil in the tank first day. 100 miles total and I'm a happy camper!

Good to here!

Top Bottom