Fix Kit Install First Timer

knocksum

Reaction score
Did you just put in the black/purple secondary spring and helix at the same time of the fix kit? Sounds to me like soft rev limiter. Too much secondary pressure and you are slipping in the primary early.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you just put in the black/purple secondary spring and helix at the same time of the fix kit? Sounds to me like soft rev limiter. Too much secondary pressure and you are slipping in the primary early.

I put the helix and blak purple in at the same time. I have however tried with a stock helix and spring and still not change on the stand. I put 64 gram weights in it, pulls 8100-8200 no problem at 7000'. I mean its possible 64 is too heavy with the helix and spring but its a setup I've researched and guys have no issues with

I should also note I rode revy for three days again this weekend...I know I should stop riding and fix it just frustrating when I dont know where to start anymore and it works so darn good after 6000rpm every time.

However going up the trail one day I hit DET and the sled shut down on me. Still trying to figure that one out...I now have 150 miles on the top end and its the exact same, no worse no better. Two week break in between trips now so its time to go to square one lol

Last edited:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had my friends 14 out on Sunday that we just put the Fixkit in and it ran perfect. I hope you find your issue soon.

Do you run a can? If so, have you tried I with the stock muffler?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man that sucks, If you ever figure it out let us know. I have a kit that I had in my 2011 that did something very similar. It wasn't a Mntek kit but when I switched it out for a Mntek kit, it ran fine and still runs fine. I use it as a spare now.

Last edited:

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man that sucks, If you ever figure it out let us know. I have a kit that I had in my 2011 that did something very similar. It wasn't a Mntek kit but when I switched it out for a Mntek kit, it ran fine and still runs fine. I use it as a spare now.

Well finally some progress. today just might have finally been my lucky day. Decided to put on a new fuel filter that I had sitting in the shop from an issue I had last year that ended up being my stator. This is something I should have tried a while ago since I've had it sitting in the shop. Well installed the new filter and now the bog is almost completely gone. At 5100 its ever so slight but this may just still be me expecting it to be there and havin acute hearing for it now. But on the stand it is smooth through engagement whether I pin it and let off and pin again, or slowly move through the mid-range. Still need to get it under load and give it a test ride but seems that the issue is pretty well gone. My theory is this. When I started it up for the first time after install I had 1/5 full tank of old fuel from March (didnt add any fresh), stabilizer in the fuel (probably too much) and I believe I put in around 350mm of oil. So maybe this plugged up the filter in a spot or multiple spots to cause it to lack fuel in the mid range which most say is slightly lean already. A ride will tell but I'm a happier camper today thats for sure.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well finally some progress. today just might have finally been my lucky day. Decided to put on a new fuel filter that I had sitting in the shop from an issue I had last year that ended up being my stator. This is something I should have tried a while ago since I've had it sitting in the shop. Well installed the new filter and now the bog is almost completely gone. At 5100 its ever so slight but this may just still be me expecting it to be there and havin acute hearing for it now. But on the stand it is smooth through engagement whether I pin it and let off and pin again, or slowly move through the mid-range. Still need to get it under load and give it a test ride but seems that the issue is pretty well gone. My theory is this. When I started it up for the first time after install I had 1/5 full tank of old fuel from March (didnt add any fresh), stabilizer in the fuel (probably too much) and I believe I put in around 350mm of oil. So maybe this plugged up the filter in a spot or multiple spots to cause it to lack fuel in the mid range which most say is slightly lean already. A ride will tell but I'm a happier camper today thats for sure.

Fuel Filter of all things, something that slip my mind. Polaris runs high fuel pressure or at least the pump will maintain 65psi. I know this because The turbo setup I have doesn't require a different fuel pump. However they recommend yearly fuel filter changes because of the same reasons you have found.

I hope this solves your problems. Cheap fix if it is. I would still throw in a new filter, nothing saying the old one wasn't partially plugged.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel Filter of all things, something that slip my mind. Polaris runs high fuel pressure or at least the pump will maintain 65psi. I know this because The turbo setup I have doesn't require a different fuel pump. However they recommend yearly fuel filter changes because of the same reasons you have found.

I hope this solves your problems. Cheap fix if it is. I would still throw in a new filter, nothing saying the old one wasn't partially plugged.

Slipped my mind too. I believe the spec is 58-60psi, something I also plan to check in the near future just as preventative maintenance. Yes I'm considering buying one to get a brand new one in there. Doesn't hurt now that I'm off break in and not putting oil in the tank anymore.

Thanks again gents for the help!

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well got it out on the snow today for a good test. It's a little bit better but it's just still not right. Threw in the towel. Glad I did. Tell me what you guys think caused this?
5553e6d5995522202bc4f63cd2cd6009.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still Smooth or will it catch your finger nail?

More investigation is needed.

I can feel the groves when are move my finger around in the cylinder. Catches with a fingernail on most of them
e4a86b8446923bafe45e6ce75ed4c9c6.jpg
4f519b274149ac60b894e7133fa24bd3.jpg

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are those rings on upside down? Other rings I have put on have a notch that drops down around the keeper pins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are those rings on upside down? Other rings I have put on have a notch that drops down around the keeper pins.

They were correct. This side up
5adf10160a9c4b545bc690714212c74f.jpg

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see it now had to zoom in on the original pics. The silver and black threw me off. Crappy deal anyway.

TJ(turbojoe)

Reaction score

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
groves on the ends of the rings fit against the Alignment pins in the Piston. It would be almost impossible to get them into the cylinder upside down without breaking them. If they were installed upside down they would have broke long before now. I would say they were installed properly but maybe the gap was wrong.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
groves on the ends of the rings fit against the Alignment pins in the Piston. It would be almost impossible to get them into the cylinder upside down without breaking them. If they were installed upside down they would have broke long before now. I would say they were installed properly but maybe the gap was wrong.

I agree. Checking gaps again now. Might have to point the finger at me for this one.
Pto bottom 19 thou
Pto top 20 thou
Mag bottom 20 thou
Mag top 21 thou

Mtn tek spec is 19-28.

Maybe I should have gone with a larger gap. Stock rings are .0225. Should have checked that before install...

At the end of the day I am going to get the cylinder honed and fix my ring gap. What do you guys think the chances are I can re use everything? Is the scoring too bad on the Pistons?
fade5e9864c17978d3be7a242b83f18f.jpg

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. Checking gaps again now. Might have to point the finger at me for this one.
Pto bottom 19 thou
Pto top 20 thou
Mag bottom 20 thou
Mag top 21 thou

Mtn tek spec is 19-28.

Maybe I should have gone with a larger gap. Stock rings are .0225. Should have checked that before install...

At the end of the day I am going to get the cylinder honed and fix my ring gap. What do you guys think the chances are I can re use everything? Is the scoring too bad on the Pistons?
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/fade5e9864c17978d3be7a242b83f18f.jpg

Almost looks like you got a little cold seize as well.

Top Bottom