first trip ever

dirk660

Reaction score
hi guys, i am planning a trip to crowsnest pass, but i have never been there before nor have i ever been to the mountains before. i am looking for some advise on a nice place to ride for a beginner, and maybe a good place to stay for a small group. we are planning on going on the feb long weekend and if someone wants to guide a few newbies that would be awesome.

thanks for now

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We'll actually be out in that area for that week as well and would be more than happy to do a bit of guiding if you would like. One of the riders in our group is from Viscount. We ride with our kids so we generally do not get into to technical of terrain.
Some of the areas we'll be riding are Atlas, the Satoris Road and Elkford.
The Inn on the border has 2 cabins for rent or for rooms there is a BCMI in Blairmore another BCMI in Coleman and the Stop Inn in Coleman.
Drop us a pm if your interested or have any other questions.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie is good too. Some level or low angle stuff to ride which is fun.

dirk660

Reaction score
we will probably be just looking for some powder snow trails and maybe some mild climbing, don't have any of the special gear or training to start the technical stuff YET!.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful dude. Make sure you have a least one well experienced rider or guide with you. Things can go very bad in the hills. They don't forgive fools at all. Something seemingly simple like getting a sled stuck in a creek and not knowing how to get it out can put your group in for an overnighter and if you are not prepared it can even kill people. Just being there is already technical.

MAKE SURE you go with people that know.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i am planning a trip to crowsnest pass, but i have never been there before nor have i ever been to the mountains before. i am looking for some advise on a nice place to ride for a beginner, and maybe a good place to stay for a small group. we are planning on going on the feb long weekend and if someone wants to guide a few newbies that would be awesome.

thanks for now

Give Mountain Memories a call
Mountain Memories Guiding and Tours your snowmobiling adventure in the Rocky Mountains in Canada">

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
we will probably be just looking for some powder snow trails and maybe some mild climbing, don't have any of the special gear or training to start the technical stuff YET!.

If you are talking about beacons, probes, shovels and you don't have them, please, please, please rent them and find out how to use them. Chit happens fast and can be permanent.

Yes, by all means find a guide that knows the area. I have heard that Mountain Memories are no longer in business but it would be worthwhile to check. Good luck, fs

dirk660

Reaction score
this is why i love this site, i have some contact info and maybe a guide already. thanks guys any more suggestions a still appreciated

dirk660

Reaction score
i'll have to watch for that, because a poker rally would be perfect. i was looking at the one from feb 26-28 but the holidays don't work out for me there.

dirk660

Reaction score
we are actually going to be sledding near the castle mountain ski hill. that's where we could get a place to stay, and the others going with me want to go skiing. if anyone has some good places out there to go just let me know, or if you want to come and show us around that would be great too.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Search for Caslte Mountain on here. You are RIGHT at a sled area. If you are staying at the base of the hill all you do is simply start your sled and you will be at the riding area in less then 10 minutes. Maybe a bit more with the bumpy trail (they don't groom).

Nice area. One of the few hills that's still laid back and isolated from mainstream stuff, however that's changing quickly.

boondocker14

Reaction score
Hey. If your looking for some good trail riding, the york area and the atlas area in the Crowsnest Pass is good. Seeing as you are thinking about the castle area that is also good. From down there you can access the trails from the Pass right down to castle as well as the Lost snowmobile cabin. All reached with minimal travel to a staging area. All the trails are well marked and a trail map never hurts. A guide is an awesome idea but having a map to learn the area as well never hurts. If you need a riding guide I will be around on the weekends if you need some help. PM me if you need any more info.

Top Bottom