Fernie

turbofarmer

Reaction score
avalanche gear is just expensive added weight if you dont know how to use it. Every person riding in the mountains should have to take an avalanche course before venturing into the backcountry. Should be mandatory. Just my opinion. Play safe out there folks avalanches are real and do happen!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
avalanche gear is just expensive added weight if you dont know how to use it. Every person riding in the mountains should have to take an avalanche course before venturing into the backcountry. Should be mandatory. Just my opinion. Play safe out there folks avalanches are real and do happen!

yes the 5 minute, rental lesson is not much help. training and practicing is required in my opinion, and I think an experienced mtn rider like moyi knows better.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so just how are you going to find this new sledder without a beacon ALIVE?

and I guess you owe someone $50 hah.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so just how are you going to find this new sledder without a beacon ALIVE?

and I guess you owe someone $50 hah.

If he rides where I told him to I won't need to.

And......I should get a discount for being provoked! :D

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he rides where I told him to I won't need to.

And......I should get a discount for being provoked! :D

new rider, riding where he is supposed to ? novel idea,:D
people have spent years telling new and experienced riders to get the gear and learn how to use it, lets keep that going forward.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess we should all start wearing it on the highway too huh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrCaIBhYaJ0

yup if you drive like that that in those area's? you do wear your helmet while driving do you not? race car drivers do! if not why not?

do you read avi forcasts for area's you ride? why?

do you carry life insurance, no idea why! you haven'nt needed it yet! haha j/k

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup if you think you may be in avi danger? you do wear your helmet while driving do you not? race car drivers do! if not why not?

Once again, seems to me I've heard something like this before.

Oh ya! Here!

So I can assume from that ridiculous statement that you always wear a parachute when you take a commercial flight, or wear a PFD when you cross a bridge over a river, or wear body armour to use a crosswalk, and of course you wear steel toed boots when you mow the lawn.

Oh, wait. You're from Saskatchewan and you're giving advise on the mountains. Never mind! :doh:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once again, seems to me I've heard something like this before.

Oh ya! Here!

so everyone from sask has no mtn ridng experience, don't need avi gear not enough experience, and the avi danger warnings right now should be ignored as long as you stay on a trail. wouldn't it be better to just tell them to get a beacon and training before they come, if they can.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so everyone from sask has no mtn ridng experience, don't need avi gear not enough experience, and the avi danger warnings right now should be ignored as long as you stay on a trail. wouldn't it be better to just tell them to get a beacon and training before they come, if they can.

I didn't say any of that.....but nice try. You almost hurt my feeling. :ha_ha:

When people ask for a safe place to ride in the mountains I will continue to tell them where they can safely ride IMO. You don't have to like it, and I don't have to care if you don't like it.

I'm done........ya, I know. I already said that!

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh, wait. You're from Saskatchewan and you're giving advise on the mountains. Never mind! :doh:
wonder who said that? hmm, { sounds a bit elitist and condescending to me moyie. }

I didn't say any of that.....but nice try. You almost hurt my feeling. :ha_ha: could you please fill in the report, maybe keep one on standby.

When people ask for a safe place to ride in the mountains I will continue to tell them where they can safely ride IMO. ------ i have no problem with your advise on riding area's ------ You don't have to like it, and I don't have to care if you don't like it. ------ are you getting mad already?

I'm done........ya, I know. I already said that!
----AGAIN!!!--- haha that is the 3rd time you said that. you must be a smoker! haha.

lol, come on back this is getting good, just a difference in opinion, unless you don't like my opinions'?

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing wearing a beacon does, is substantially increase the odds your body will be recovered. DEAD or alive.

Read the stats. As for snowmobiles go, if your caught in a slide, your more then likely to be found dead, then alive. The slides that came over Coal Creek would be more likely to 'push' instead of burry. You'd be far more likely to be killed by the debris... your beacon will not save you from rocks and trees.

All people need to be is honest. That group of 'newbies' don't need worry about an extra beacon. Should they have enough, sure. Should they not *go* because they don't have one, no. If nonone in the group knows how to work a beacon in a calm situation, they sures hell aren't going to work in a panic.

People really need to lighten up.

Besides, the conditions right now suck, and unless you have the skill to venture off the beaten path, your not going to find anything worth riding anyway. Head to the Cabin of your choice, have a beer, take some pictures, and head back to the truck.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing wearing a beacon does, is substantially increase the odds your body will be recovered. DEAD or alive.

Read the stats. As for snowmobiles go, if your caught in a slide, your more then likely to be found dead, then alive. The slides that came over Coal Creek would be more likely to 'push' instead of burry. You'd be far more likely to be killed by the debris... your beacon will not save you from rocks and trees.

All people need to be is honest. That group of 'newbies' don't need worry about an extra beacon. Should they have enough, sure. Should they not *go* because they don't have one, no. If nonone in the group knows how to work a beacon in a calm situation, they sures hell aren't going to work in a panic.

People really need to lighten up.

Besides, the conditions right now suck, and unless you have the skill to venture off the beaten path, your not going to find anything worth riding anyway. Head to the Cabin of your choice, have a beer, take some pictures, and head back to the truck.

so just what are you saying, if you don't have a beacon you shouldn't worry just go. nothing will happen as conditions suck, because of high avi hazards ? or no snow or what? when will i be required to wear an avi beacon? will i need one this weekend, next weekend or how much snow needs to fall, what if it is real windy, or the sun comes out. will your theory work if i go west of the pipeline or how far east can i go?

oh ya high there moyie looks like your back again haha just like a smoker you just can't really quit can ya haha.

wear the gear, get the training, practice then, practice some more. hmm what do they teach in this avi training anyway.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok seriously, it has been a while since i took avi training, i was told to always wear a beacon while in mountain terrain and to practice using it all the time! guess I'm going to have to go back and tell them what I heard on here, maybe get my money back too.

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so just what are you saying, if you don't have a beacon you shouldn't worry just go. nothing will happen as conditions suck, because of high avi hazards ? or no snow or what? when will i be required to wear an avi beacon? will i need one this weekend, next weekend or how much snow needs to fall, what if it is real windy, or the sun comes out. will your theory work if i go west of the pipeline or how far east can i go?

oh ya high there moyie looks like your back again haha just like a smoker you just can't really quit can ya haha.

wear the gear, get the training, practice then, practice some more. hmm what do they teach in this avi training anyway.

What I'm saying is to be realistic. I honestly don't know why some can't understand that.

In the Fernie area, the chance of you being caught in a slide is definitely not at the top of the danger list. Is the risk there, absolutely. More people are killed or injured in crashes, not operating the snowmobile properly. Where are all the fan boys demanding people take an operating course before venturing out??

I'm also saying that according to the numbers, it's generally not the newbie's that make the news.

When given the chance, I like making decisions based on probability. And until the numbers change, I'm pretty comfortable in saying that in this situation, the trip doesn't need to be cancelled due to lack of beacons. Last year at this time, things MAY have been different, but after encountering a few 'newbes' on rentals out there, I can honestly say that avi training wouldn't do any good. The risk of getting lost, freezing, crashing, rolling and all the other very basic things so outweighed the situation, avi related stuff would just overwhelm and probably hinder.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, the only info we have is they have three sleds and are doubling up, and have two beacon's, where looking for a relativley safe area, no idea of riding experience, I have no problem with moyie's suggestion on riding area at all. my beotch was when he jumped on a Sask poster for suggesting they get the beacons (2 more). that was the gist of my original post, and op second question was where to get them. I get the impression from his posts , that he has the typical dislike for any comments from Sask or eastern riders. ( I could be wrong, but not from reading his posts), he hates new riders, (I could be wrong, but not from reading his posts), and has a problem with self control( he quits but keeps coming back) lol,
hope he was having a bad day and al BC sledders don't think the same tude.
a little bit of understanding(self control) on his part, would have gone better, hope op has a good weekend, better to get a beacon, take some time to fiqure out how to use it , than need it and not have it.

I may be wrong, likely find out real soon

Last edited:
Top Bottom