Fernie

styylesnwife

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
We are planning a trip this weekend with some newbies. There will be four of us on 3 sleds. We only have 2 beacons so looking for an area with really low or no avalanche risk. Any suggestions!

BTC

Reaction score
Get a third beacon or don't go. There is no such thing as "No Avalanche Risk" when your mountain riding. If you can afford to have a sled and the fuel, you can afford to buy one more beacon.

styylesnwife

Reaction score
Hello,
BCT I totally agree but we are looking for somewhere with just tails no crazy stuff. I took a group out last year to an area but don't recall the name. It was a logging road up to the top then just trails from there. Can anyone help me out and tell me the safest place to go? Does any one know where we could possibly rent a couple beacons?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello,
BCT I totally agree but we are looking for somewhere with just tails no crazy stuff. I took a group out last year to an area but don't recall the name. It was a logging road up to the top then just trails from there. Can anyone help me out and tell me the safest place to go? Does any one know where we could possibly rent a couple beacons?
I know Valhalla Pure used to rent avy gear but not sure if they have a store in Calgary. They do in Red Deer and the Hat.
Check with a local sled dealer-they should be able to point you to a rental place if they don't themselves.
I strongly urge you to outfit everyone with avy gear-even if you are trail riding. Lots of trails cross avalanche paths. Better safe than sorry. If I was home I'd just send you my beacon, probe and shovel to borrow.

styylesnwife

Reaction score
OK I will check them out. Thanks
So back to original question were is a good area for newbies in the area?

eke019

Reaction score
In Fernie I have only ever staged at Coal Creek but I think there is lot there for beginners. Stay on the main road past the first cabin and once you get to wranglers cabin there is large meadow t play in. I here t groomer is down so it could be a rough ride in.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a third beacon or don't go. There is no such thing as "No Avalanche Risk" when your mountain riding. If you can afford to have a sled and the fuel, you can afford to buy one more beacon.

What a load of BS! Lots of safe places to play in the mountains! If they don't own their own avy gear chances are good they don't know how to use it anyway. :rant:

Styylesnwife....ride Coal Creek, stay on the main trails, you'll be fine.

BTC

Reaction score
What a load of BS! Lots of safe places to play in the mountains! If they don't own their own avy gear chances are good they don't know how to use it anyway. :rant:

That statement makes about as much sense as saying that since I'm not driving on the highway, I don't need a seat belt. It only takes one error in judgement or one unlucky moment for everything to go wrong. Can you go out and have a nice ride with minimal risk, absolutely. Can it be done with no risk, absolutely not. How many serious car accidents have you been in? Would you be happy to turn your cars air bags off and let your family not wear seat belts due to the low risk of a serious accident?

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The purpose of a seat belt and an avalanche transceiver is completely different. A helmet is comparable to a seat belt.
There are lots of places to ride that do not require avy gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That statement makes about as much sense as saying that since I'm not driving on the highway, I don't need a seat belt. It only takes one error in judgement or one unlucky moment for everything to go wrong. Can you go out and have a nice ride with minimal risk, absolutely. Can it be done with no risk, absolutely not. How many serious car accidents have you been in? Would you be happy to turn your cars air bags off and let your family not wear seat belts due to the low risk of a serious accident?

So I can assume from that ridiculous statement that you always wear a parachute when you take a commercial flight, or wear a PFD when you cross a bridge over a river, or wear body armour to use a crosswalk, and of course you wear steel toed boots when you mow the lawn.

Oh, wait. You're from Saskatchewan and you're giving advise on the mountains. Never mind! :doh:

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen 2 slides come right across coal creek trail last year. It's not safe just cause it's a groomed trail. Both woulda knocked a bus off the trail let alone a sled. I wouldn't ride there without avy gear.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen 2 slides come right across coal creek trail last year. It's not safe just cause it's a groomed trail. Both woulda knocked a bus off the trail let alone a sled. I wouldn't ride there without avy gear.

And both were with a lot more snow pack than we have right now, and both could be seen coming a long way away if you'd happened to have been there when they came down.

Do you wear a helmet in your truck? You've got a lot better chance riding up Coal Creek road without getting hit by an avalanche than you do driving from Calgary to Fernie without getting hit by a vehicle.

Last edited:

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And both were with a lot more snow pack than we have right now, and both could be seen coming a long way away if you'd happened to have been there when they came down.

Do you wear a helmet in your truck?
Ok. Avy conditions are good now right?? I ride there more than most and no you wouldn't have seen either of them coming. I don't care if anyone wears a beacon as long as not riding with us. Life is full of decisions and people make wrong ones daily. Like I said I wouldn't ride without it unless not riding in mountains.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. Avy conditions are good now right??

Nope, didn't say that. There's just not enough snowpack to make them run that far. Remember, no one had seen them run that far in 20 years when they came down last year. Have there been any accidents on the highway between Calgary and Fernie in the last 20 years?

I'm done with this pointless argument. :beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you wear a helmet in your truck? You've got a lot better chance riding up Coal Creek road without getting hit by an avalanche than you do driving from Calgary to Fernie without getting hit by a vehicle.

so you are saying new riders to mountain area's will not need, or require avi gear or avi training, while being shown around by someone who is not real familiar with the area? lol. maybe tell them about Gorman(sledder friendly this year I'm sure)

I would suggest, there are better ways to save $15 on a avi receiver rental. wouldn't it be better to step off the high horse, tell them were they can rent a receiver and maybe suggest a few lesser risk area's, than to come on here and do what your doing ?

the guy from Sask may not be anywhere near as experienced mtn rider as you, but he is being honest, giving his less experienced opinion that you seem to be taking great pains to belittle. better to have the equipment and not use It than the alternative.

just my opinion.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you are saying new riders to mountain area's will not need, or require avi gear or avi training, while being shown around by someone who is not real familiar with the area? lol. maybe tell them about Gorman(sledder friendly this year I'm sure)

I would suggest, there are better ways to save $15 on a avi receiver rental. wouldn't it be better to step off the high hor se, tell them were they can rent a receiver and maybe suggest a few lesser risk area's, than to come on here and do what your doing ?

Oh for fawk sakes! NO! Here's what I said!

He didn't ask where to rent a beacon. He asked where to ride safely without it, and I answered him. BTC was the one that got on his high horse and told him to stay home!

This time I'm really done with this, but feel free to continue the bashing!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh for fawk sakes! NO! Here's what I said!

He didn't ask where to rent a beacon. He asked where to ride safely without it, and I answered him. BTC was the one that got on his high horse and told him to stay home!

This time I'm really done with this, but feel free to continue the bashing!

you think people are going to stay on the trail in to the cabin? sorry they need a beacon, what if they get lost take the wrong trail( they are not familiar with the area, thus asking where to ride). sorry you were the one who mossied down this road. (bashing in particular).

you forget you ride here lots, people get lost, main trails all look alike after 20 sleds have passed.

get a map, get a beacon, maybe get a set of radio's , talk to a sled shop, a few locals. but get the freakon beacon.;

Last edited:
Top Bottom