Fernie Winter 2016-2017

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Except they are deleting the negative comments on Facebook so it looks like there are no issues.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

That was the webpage and not the FB page Shaun. Contact information and yes, they can easily do nothing but I would think someone would at least read the complaints.

It is very frustrating for anyone wanting to spring ride.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Where did you stage ? Thanks

Staged at Coal Creek yesterday just to see the actual conditions for myself (I rode last Saturday and I pretty much knew what it would be like). I will use Morrissey today. FWA is still running snowcats for his CatSki operation so the trail will be decent up to his turn off. The bottom will be getting close to being gone and with the berms we may not be able to access staging near the first bridge.

mattalind

Reaction score
After staging from Coal the other day I decided to go from Morrisey today. Much better idea since the trail is groomed up to the cat ski turn off about halfway up. Rode the pipeline, dodging in and out of the trees, went to the notch and worked our way a few miles further from there. Conditions going up not so good. Conditions in the trees just off the pipeline was fantastic.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yesterday's rain was evident as it was crusty at lower elevations (under 6200'). We rode some trees very close to the Rolling Hills cabin and it was pretty good but getting sticky as the day wore on. Great climbs and good spring riding. The boys from Smithers were amazed at how far apart our trees are!

Morrissey is much better for staging. There is no way in hell I will ride the pipeline to the Notch unless there is a 2' dump of pow. The bumps are not worth it and there is just as good of riding much closer.

IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4784.jpg

summit800hm

Reaction score
Sure is funny how FSA cannot groom because of poor conditions but yet cat ski operation grooms up to there turn off, making better for us. Greatly appreciated it when we were down there.

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 of us will be heading down in the morning. We will stage at Morrissey. Hopefully it doesn't turn mud at the bottom with
the rain they are calling for.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 of us will be heading down in the morning. We will stage at Morrissey. Hopefully it doesn't turn mud at the bottom with
the rain they are calling for.
It was mud last Saturday. Be prepared for more mud.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Sure is funny how FSA cannot groom because of poor conditions but yet cat ski operation grooms up to there turn off, making better for us. Greatly appreciated it when we were down there.
Cat ski is paid a lot of money to run cat up and down. If you have ever ran snow cat it's pretty hard and expensive grooming mashed potatoes. It gets to a point where the cost is just not worth it as after 20 sleds the trail is beat back to how it was before grooming. Those machines don't operate cheap. Ours burns about 5 gallons an hour towing the drag and at best is 10km/h then every time you run it it's one day closer to a major repair.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Fernie Wilderness Adventures aren't "grooming" so to speak. They are running their SnowCats up and down and just the traffic of the SnowCats alone is keeping the trail smooth. FWA would blade it once a day through the winter keeping the trail respectable and this time of year they just run up and down without blading as they want as much snow on the trail as possible. Team dirt is absolutely correct about "grooming" mashed potatoes! It the temps aren't conducive to freezing the snow there is nothing the SnowCat operator can do to make it better. Ah, the joys of spring riding!

Hats off to the FWA operators for being courteous throughout the winter and pulling over to let the sledders pass. It was much appreciated!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yesterday was the worst day of the last three; sun crust, heavy snow, changing conditions from shade to sun, and sunburn!

Still a great day and rode untracked once again. Even had the lemon garlic shrimp cooking in the SledShed "theThing" can yesterday. They were delicious on a hill top taking in the view in glorious sunshine!

IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pics Doug, thx for the afternoon shrimp appetizer and the few days of riding, was sure nice to see the sunshine for the last 2 days.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey fernie snowmobile association, continue to not groom ever. There are lots of places to ride in Revelstoke, Sicamous, Golden, and Valemount. The Fernie snowmobile club should incorporate a whooped out trail into their logo and sell tshirts for extra revenue.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FSA is not listening and don't care because they already have our trail pass money in someones bank account.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am planning to buy a season membership pass whatever thing next year but I think I will attend a couple meetings to hear what they have to say about the grooming complaints first.

As I'm a local now, I can't see myself not buying a pass just do to convenience and cost savings but I feel if things are bad as y'all say, they better shape up if they want locals to continue supporting them.

Once I get my life sorted here I plan to pull the old ditch banger out for a ride to one of the cabins to check things out. Not sure which one yet but I will figure it out once I get a chance to look at a map.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its sad one of the best riding area's in western Canada has turned from its epic yearly snowfall and conditions to all about the horrible trail. FSA better up there game or it will soon be a one dimensional skier town.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what the locals want
You know I just don't get it? We come. We buy fuel, food, rooms, trail passes, booze and then we do it again the following weekend. The skiers come, they pack 6 peeps in a room for 4. They bring their granola, share a pizza and water and leave. Then off to the next ski destination. Who spends more money in town? It baffles me..

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what the locals want

Where does that type of thinking come from?
What about us locals that pay our memberships but don't ride weekends? We NEVER get to ride a fresh groom.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Diesel

Reaction score
Bumped into a few locals from sparwood tha basically told us we don't belong in there riding are, they went on and on about our white and red plates, biggest wieners I've bumped into for a long time, I know it's not all the locals that are like that, seems to be some of the younger guys, found it kinda odd because it happened in whitefish to with a group for sparwood

Top Bottom