Fernie Winter 2016-2017

(SK)AndyM

Reaction score
Thanks folks, we have a group looking to head out this Thursday from Sask. Any updates are much appreciated, hotels are booked and the trailers packed, hoping we can get out!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode coal creek on sat. Poured rain all day, we were at around 6400ft. I found the trail was rough but rideable, had to slow down in a few spots. Found lots of untracked but no powder...slushy spring riding....what you'd expect riding in the rain!

blackhorse04

Reaction score
Any update on the trail conditions? Coming down from calgary and was going to bring my son(5years old)on a trail ride if it is not too bad.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was up today to check out the conditions. The trail isn't that bad; I rode worse moguls when the grooming program was in full bore. There is only one short stretch of dirt close to the Coal Creek staging area. The trail was soft/slushy and I didn't have a heating problem.

There is a heavy crust with about 6-8" of fresh on top depending on where one is. Some places (the 5800' level) has only about 3" of fresh). The higher the better for better snow. There is a thinner crust about 3" down but that breaks easily with some ski pressure.

Your call on how your son will handle the moguls. Some models are calling for rain, others for snow..................go figure.

blackhorse04

Reaction score
Thanks ferniesnow, I appreciate the info. I might go for a ride by myself on sat to scope it out and then make the call. Thanks again

Classy

Reaction score
We are also trying to decide if we get out for one more ride on Saturday but not to excited about playing in the rain all day if that ends up being the case. Thanks for the update ferniesnow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The weather forecasts are for the city of Fernie. The riding areas are a minimum of 2500' above the forecast area. It gets cooler the higher up one goes, so the rain may be snow at elevation. Tough call for those who have a 3 hour or more drive.

Classy

Reaction score
Was just working my way through the mountain forecasts on avalanche Canada to dry and make the decision. Looks like today freezing levels will be about 300m so tomorrow might be alright.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's hard to go out now after being spoiled with all that unreal powder in the last couple of months.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's hard to go out now after being spoiled with all that unreal powder in the last couple of months.
Yea. Kinda don't wanna ruin the memory. Buuuuuut I'm still itchy.

Wife and kids are outta town soooooo......Braaaaap?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It was great! 20-40 cm of fresh depending if one was in some wind deposits or not. Lots of people out and lots of people had a great time. The trees were awesome as nobody goes there (generally speaking) and lots of untracked. In the wind loaded areas, one was able to carve but where the snow was a little skinny it was impossible to carve on the hard crust.

Sorry not one picture.

I would like to say the trail is terrible and the moguls are now up to 18". It sure would be sweet if the club could squeeze in one more groom and clean up the messy moguls. I think after all the rough trails we rode this past winter, they owe us one more groom!

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a great day with Turts! Started late at around 2 and got back to truck at 6:45. Sun for most of the afternoon and anywhere from 6-18 inches depending on where you were at.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day in the sun today! The trail is a joke and I won't ride coal creek again until it melts enough to drive the truck up

Good day today but I would agree that Coal Creek was brutal. Did Marten Cr to Fernie Ridge to Wheeler today. Anyone know the status of Ram Creek access? Any blockage from avy debris?

Top Bottom