Fernie Snow Conditions 2017 - 2018

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just gotta use the brain and pick safe terrain. Not a hint of avalanche terrain where we rode today.

I agree though, it will be dicey and treacherous in a lot of places. The snow pack is very sketchy.

Seen a video from today, seemed pretty low looking at the trees and saplings sticking out....is there much base or just fluff? The Sidewinder doesn’t like the unknown.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just gotta use the brain and pick safe terrain. Not a hint of avalanche terrain where we rode today.

I agree though, it will be dicey and treacherous in a lot of places. The snow pack is very sketchy.
Ya but your to finding areas what magic Johnson was to stacking up rebounds....
How much accumulated so far tonight?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Seen a video from today, seemed pretty low looking at the trees and saplings sticking out....is there much base or just fluff? The Sidewinder doesn’t like the unknown.
As Lucky 7 says, "no base at all" and one has to use some speed to get around and that is scary due to the hidden hazards. With some settling and warm temps this will be a great base I'm thinking.

Ya but your to finding areas what magic Johnson was to stacking up rebounds....
How much accumulated so far tonight?

The deepest I found was 105 cm and it was still snowing. Going again today so I will report back later in the day. It is finally looking good.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Mother Nature did a little gravity pull on the snow pack and it was much better today. Still not deep enough and still lots of hazards. I was able to get around in the trees without needing full throttle today. When full throttle was needed, I was still down to the dirt. Trenches were a meter deep. I didn't have a stuck and that was amazing considering the conditions.

A beauty of a day. Lots of climbing with the skis off the snow and the 3" track just a spinning. Thoroughly enjoyed the day. A little tougher for my better half getting around in the trees but with a little help and getting her out of the occasional stuck, she enjoyed herself immensely.

IMG_0069.jpg

vapours

Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/306509204

Shot a little video from Dec 13th, I am from the prairies so I am used to bouncing of rocks, video taken off the pipeline and lots of rocks were hit, I hope they take the hint or I am going to go back and hit them some more.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/306509204

Shot a little video from Dec 13th, I am from the prairies so I am used to bouncing of rocks, video taken off the pipeline and lots of rocks were hit, I hope they take the hint or I am going to go back and hit them some more.
Looks like fun but you are a lot more brave then I would be. I like my a arms and bulk head to much for those kind of shenanigans.

vapours

Reaction score
Stabbed by a broken tree, put a hole on my underside plastics, bent my steering post rolling it over a rock, but the bulk head and a arms survived ! All and all good day

vapours

Reaction score
Looks like fun but you are a lot more brave then I would be. I like my a arms and bulk head to much for those kind of shenanigans.

Risk more than others think is safe. Maybe don't risk your life thou kids

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
15-20 cm of heavy wet snow on top of what had already fallen. This has made it decent to get around and the snow in the trees is much denser. Throttle control is one of those tricks needed to navigate the trees. A fun day and not a lot of hazards this time out. The flatlanders are ready for another assault today!

IMG_2977.jpg
IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

Top Bottom