Fernie conditions

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We dug a couple pits in Fernie on the weekend. The more extensive of them, up the slope and across the valley from the new cabin (6300 ft ish). Here is what I found on Sat: The latest snow, about 3", was not bonding great to the rain crust below. There is a significant rain crust on all aspects, and its thick! like 2-3" in places. Hard to shovel through at times even. There is another layer about 18" down that we could get to fracture but it took some effort, but it would break clean. Below that, about 10", there was another layer that would slide but it took more effort and wasn't breaking as uniform. the temp gradient was pretty uniform through the snowpack in most pits as well.

Conditions are like spring riding but worse. it was hard and cold, you feel every bump under the top stuff. There was pockets of windblown up top but nothing deep. Sunday it rained down low and the snow up top was heavy, we got soaked, was an effort just to keep the goggles clean. Traction is amazing though! So good you can sit there and watch your buddy break his chain and explode his chaincase! LOL

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We dug a couple pits in Fernie on the weekend. The more extensive of them, up the slope and across the valley from the new cabin (6300 ft ish). Here is what I found on Sat: The latest snow, about 3", was not bonding great to the rain crust below. There is a significant rain crust on all aspects, and its thick! like 2-3" in places. Hard to shovel through at times even. There is another layer about 18" down that we could get to fracture but it took some effort, but it would break clean. Below that, about 10", there was another layer that would slide but it took more effort and wasn't breaking as uniform. the temp gradient was pretty uniform through the snowpack in most pits as well.

Conditions are like spring riding but worse. it was hard and cold, you feel every bump under the top stuff. There was pockets of windblown up top but nothing deep. Sunday it rained down low and the snow up top was heavy, we got soaked, was an effort just to keep the goggles clean. Traction is amazing though! So good you can sit there and watch your buddy break his chain and explode his chaincase! LOL

Must have crossed trails somewhere, although, I didn't see anybody pulling/pushing a sled out! By 4:00 o'clock there was 30cm of heavy wet fresh on the last crust and it was still snowing hard. Yes, visibility sucked but our gear kept us dry underneath....:D

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must have crossed trails somewhere, although, I didn't see anybody pulling/pushing a sled out! By 4:00 o'clock there was 30cm of heavy wet fresh on the last crust and it was still snowing hard. Yes, visibility sucked but our gear kept us dry underneath....:D

Sorry, clarification - chaincase explosion happened saturday which is why you didn't see us, was actually thinking we might run into you on the way down that night. He blew it at 5:45, by the time he got it apart, chain out and cover bolted back on, broke the first tow strap, and hooked up on the 2nd strap, it was 6:45, and we finally pulled into the parking lot at 7:30 pm.

Too much boost + not enough chain = Bye-bye chaincase! LOL

mountain_tamer

Reaction score
How are the conditions looking for this weekend Doug?
Couple of us are planning on coming down. Is the avalanche risk too high right now? Or are there still a few safe places to play

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The weather forecast is for much colder temps in the next few days and through the weekend. That will tighten the snow pack and that heavy wet dump we had last weekend should dry out somewhat. There are lots of safe places in the trees with relatively low/medium angle slopes that have untracked snow. They are also forecasting "flurries" everyday leading up to and including the weekend. Sounds good to me!

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg There's one!

Reactions: Dlo

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I saw :) just wanted mike to put up some pics on here to share. Looks real good there.

Oh ya' it is good......Lots of snow in the last week! With the cold temps, the moisture will be sucked out and it may even end up blower snow!

They are forecasting a warming trend and more snow this coming week.........heehaw!

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya' it is good......Lots of snow in the last week! With the cold temps, the moisture will be sucked out and it may even end up blower snow!

They are forecasting a warming trend and more snow this coming week.........heehaw!

She was deep and blower yesterday! One if the best days of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Coal Creek to the Rolling Hills cabin and through to the Wrangler's was groomed last night. The snow was too deep to pull the Mogul Master to the Wrangler's so it was double groomed with the SnowCat only. The snow marvellous! Deep and blower; the Legendary Fernie Pow is evident once again!

BTW, some of our 12' and/or 16' marker sticks have the tops just sticking out.........sweet!

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was deep today and wicked in the trees. By the end of the day the snow was starting get a little heavy as the sun was out and it was warm. About 3:00 we heard 3 big booms that went off. Things are still moving out there. Great day!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are doing a beautiful job on the trails out there Doug! Thank you.
You were looking pretty cozy in that cat on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

discotime

Reaction score
A buddy and myself are planing to go sledding somewhere this Fri-Sunday. Was waiting to see what conditions were like at the different areas before choosing. Looking like Fernie might be the place to go. Neither of us have sledded there before though.
Anyone know if there is anywhere near the staging areas that a guy could park a camper trailer for a few days?

Top Bottom