Fernie conditions

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always feel safer on my sled then I do skiing, because skiing/boarding you still need to expose yourself to slopes, although the ski hill does great work controlling the slides I would rather spend time in the trees on relatively flat ground. This week we have see slides that went over through and down stuff most people would have deemed safe. If your out by the cabin there is some good supper safe riding around there but be mindful because there is small hills that pose a bigger threat right know then they usually would.

SKDeuce

Reaction score
Yep, watching all the snow reports sure had our hopes up for this week but the rain sure wrecked it. Is there anywhere close that has better conditions? We are here all week.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really, it has rained all over the place! To bad for you guys as you would have had a great week. I am coming out this weekend but likely not riding maybe going for a bike ride! Lol.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So whats the word on the slides? Is the groomer getting through or is Coal Creek road done for the year? Checked website but didn't see a grooming update since end of Feb.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So whats the word on the slides? Is the groomer getting through or is Coal Creek road done for the year? Checked website but didn't see a grooming update since end of Feb.

Had a hoe and possibly a dozer out there today. I don't know the progress at this time. I would assume it was opened up and good to go this evening. I will check and post the status.

The last groom was Thursday night March 6th and that was just the SnowCat to the Rolling Hills cabin. The Mogul Master was dropped at Marten Creek turn off due to overheating issues. Even without the Mogul Master, the SnowCat was overheating on some of the pulls. That warm weather and soft snow is a real heat generator for the system.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a hoe and possibly a dozer out there today. I don't know the progress at this time. I would assume it was opened up and good to go this evening. I will check and post the status.

The last groom was Thursday night March 6th and that was just the SnowCat to the Rolling Hills cabin. The Mogul Master was dropped at Marten Creek turn off due to overheating issues. Even without the Mogul Master, the SnowCat was overheating on some of the pulls. That warm weather and soft snow is a real heat generator for the system.

Thanks Doug. No worries, just wanted to see if it was going to be passable or what. Would rather ride from Coal than the pipeline......
Once the snow starts melting and the debris comes up, a guy might not make it through without a chainsaw (if at all). Nice to hear its getting opened, now we just need some more snow! Thanks to the Fernie Club as well, yeah these warm days are hard on the groomer and hard on the trails as well if things stay hot and the snow stays iso, that poor road will starting to punch out.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The Coal Creek trail is opened up. Foothills Silva Culture finished a port big enough to get the SnowCat through last night. We will groom on Friday night, late Friday night, when the temps are freezing and see what we get!

With the present temps, the trail base is melting and as we groom the snow rolls into balls and spills out of the blade/mogul master. These balls then freeze and are a real hazard to the sledders. Also, the climb is long and steep (3000' in 15 km) and the heavy wet snow is hard on the hydraulic temps.

We will doo our best with the grooming but we watch the bottom line pretty close as we really can't afford to replace drives and motors on the SnowCat.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious if you've been up Morrisy yet this week?? Coming down sunday it was more of a river then trail.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just curious if you've been up Morrisy yet this week?? Coming down sunday it was more of a river then trail.

Ah, the spring conditions! Sliders stay cool and well lubricated!

With that being groomed right to the bottom (from Kim's place up to the Blueberry), there isn't a lot of snow on the road and it won't take long to be able to drive your truck (that doesn't say "trailers", it says "truck") up to the Blueberry turnout.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Coal Creek was groomed to the Rolling Hills cabin last night. There is 3-4" of fresh in the Hills. It was a great groom considering how rough the trail was.

The lower levels will be slushy (and icy in the morning), mid levels will be a little rough as cutting was tough with the frozen surface, and the top is good.

As our web-master is on holidays, the grooming report on the web site will not be up-dated for a couple of weeks.

Get out and enjoy the nice spring riding and marvel as you pass through the debris pile on the lower part of the trail!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A day groom on Sunday, March 16th. To the Rolling Hills cabin with the mogul master and the SnowCat was through the Doug Dean Trail to the Wrangler's cabin. 30 cm of heavy fresh had fallen by 4:00 pm yesterday afternoon and it didn't look like it was letting up. Avi rating has creeped up to HIGH once again so ride with your brain in gear and your eyes open!

Notice the slab releases on both sides of the trail well before the Matheson turn-off. If you keep thinking cut blocks are safe to ride with the debris on the ground holding the snow, look at the cut blocks on the left hand side (the south side) of the Coal Creek trail.

Top Bottom