Fernie conditions

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg
Had a great weekend in Little Sand creek, amazing snow and a great crew. Always hard to roll out of Revy, but well worth the drive.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 356
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 349
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 346

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A buddy and myself are planing to go sledding somewhere this Fri-Sunday. Was waiting to see what conditions were like at the different areas before choosing. Looking like Fernie might be the place to go. Neither of us have sledded there before though.
Anyone know if there is anywhere near the staging areas that a guy could park a camper trailer for a few days?

If I were you, I would pull right into the staging area and park off to the side with one side of your camping apparatus along the berm. There are no hook-ups. If you wished to send your email address, I could send a map of where the staging area is and possibly arrange to show you around for a day.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a great weekend in Little Sand creek, amazing snow and a great crew. Always hard to roll out of Revy, but well worth the drive.
Looks like an EPIC day!!Fun place to go if you like the trees :D I logged tens of thousands of vertical in Little Sands, on a snowboard, as my neighbours back in Cranbrook used to own the Cat Ski Tenure before they sold to Island Lake/Powder Cowboys. Lots of fun if you know the area, and still one of my favorite places in the East Koots!!

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like an EPIC day!!Fun place to go if you like the trees :D I logged tens of thousands of vertical in Little Sands, on a snowboard, as my neighbours back in Cranbrook used to own the Cat Ski Tenure before they sold to Island Lake/Powder Cowboys. Lots of fun if you know the area, and still one of my favorite places in the East Koots!!

Ahh! yes back when it was snow much fun with Neil. Such a fun place to board. The three + feet of snow we had for this trip was a real bonus. Looking forward to spending more time there next winter.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahh! yes back when it was snow much fun with Neil. Such a fun place to board. The three + feet of snow we had for this trip was a real bonus. Looking forward to spending more time there next winter.

You got it...I LOVED ripping with Snow Much Fun. Neil's folks still live next door to my parents in Cranbrook. Made some GREAT memories up there...and still making more on 2 skis/motor :D If you want to meet up there for a trip next winter...let me know, as we are there often. We are heading there this weekend again!!

braapin

Reaction score
Headed to Fernie this weekend with a couple buddies. It will be the first time for me up there. We were planning on going to coal creek Saturday, but not sure about Sunday. What is another good riding area for experienced riders if avy conditions and the weather cooperates.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Headed to Fernie this weekend with a couple buddies. It will be the first time for me up there. We were planning on going to coal creek Saturday, but not sure about Sunday. What is another good riding area for experienced riders if avy conditions and the weather cooperates.

Stop in at Jaffary and get directions to Little Sand. It is on the back side of the ski hill. First turn is just past Jaffary into the Galloway mill but I don't know about logging any further. Peeps in Jaffary will know.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
what did the avalanche problems look like in little sands, I no there are some dangers in there specially with the avalanche risk risk right now

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what did the avalanche problems look like in little sands, I no there are some dangers in there specially with the avalanche risk risk right now

There are a handful of paths to keep an eye on and travel one at a time on the way in. It definitely has its fair share of sketchy zones, but there are plenty of safe zones too. IMO - For a first timer...It is best to go with someone that knows the area as there are places that can get you into trouble.

We are riding there tomorrow, so I will try and comment on current conditions tomorrow evening.

Lizard Range : Latest Bulletins : Bulletins : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

braapin

Reaction score
Just got back from a great weekend in Fernie area, snow was great for late March riding. Will get some pics up soon. Thanks to all the friendly people for giving advice to newbies to the area.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a great weekend in Fernie area, snow was great for late March riding. Will get some pics up soon. Thanks to all the friendly people for giving advice to newbies to the area.

GREAT meeting you guys yesterday!! If you are going to come back up North for some more spring riding...shoot me a PM, as we are down that way just about every weekend!!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The snowpack appeared relatively stable in the area we were in (below tree-line/moderate terrain). We dug a pit below tree-line on a Northeast facing slope and got a little reaction on a column test. Movement on the latest storm slab (30 cm) on the 7th strike from the elbow. Although, some (very nice) skiers released a small size 1 on a Northwest facing 30* slope (crown depth of approx 30 cm)

Top Bottom