Fernie conditions 2014/15

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is that that Cat skiing place that opens late in the spring Doug? Beautiful country!

Yes, the last couple of years they to opened only to FSA members for an overnight stay with their rules and boundaries in effect. At least that is what they tried in the past and some were successful and some not so successful.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy but today was my favourite ride of the year! Snow sure softens up nicely in the afternoon and tons of good riding to be had If you enjoy trees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426214458.509299.jpg

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow nice pic, i knew once the temps stayed warm the snow would soften up, how bad was the rain
mike looked pretty styling in the pic from june

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a couple rain drops on the drive and that was it, beauty day. We didn't ride until afternoon and let the snow soften

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that is Island Lake. That would have been a good pull for the old mountain max!

It was a good pull on the old mountain max, it actually requires some skill to get an old machine into that type of terrain, not like today's point and shoot machines that can take even a newbie to intermediate rider anywhere they want to go. Sweet place to ride though!! Can't wait to get back in there.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dam it, heavy rain fall warning and of course we can't get any of the good stuff, this winter blows!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426383885.474954.jpg

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Atkeast if it's hot and sunny a guy can make a day of it and rip the soft spring snow but this rain....

chris79

Reaction score
Don't feel to bad. Been riding eagles pass last 2 days. Wore garbage bags until 1 pm today. Pouring

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IMG_3598.jpg FILE0512.jpg

The brightest part of the day was unloading! Must have been a little break in the monsoon?

Drove to the bridge just before km 44 which is the second bridge past Matheson Creek. If you are pulling enclosed trailers, unload around km 39 as the road is icy and chambered.

It was raining hard when I left Elkford, raining just as hard as we rode Coal Creek, and raining just as hard when I got back to Elkford in the evening. It rained to the top of the Coal Summit at 6600'. It may have gotten cold enough to change to snow last night but it was pretty much wet, wet, wet, and wetter!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The heavy crust that came at the end of January is still hindering the riding. The snow on top of the crust is useable but just not like the normal spring snow. There are a couple inches of the soft, slushy stuff on top of that heavy crust. When or if you break through the crust, is it corn/sugar snow and it is getting wet. This is hindering the ultimate fun of spring riding in the Rolling Hills, IMHO.

Generally, if you can get above or very near the 7000' mark the snow is much more fun and manageable.

Top Bottom