Fernie, BC Conditions 2016

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't Fernie conditions updates be in the Kootenays section? Just asking.

I think some people might miss these updates because they're not looking in the Crowsnest section.

I hope to get out next Sunday...fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Website
www.elkvalleysnowshepherds.com
Snowed to valley bottom in Fernie yesterday (151109). Road between Hartley Lake and the Salt Lick is covered and another big storm system moving in starting Wednesday. Special weather advisory in effect for the Elk Valley. 10-15cm maybe by Sat AM.

151109.jpg

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well we were in 78cm of snow today but i cant get pics up to save my life... I run sleds not computers....

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mods can we consolidate this thread into the one in the kooteny section. Fernie and the CNP are completely different areas

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Coal Creek has active logging until further notice. This is a radio controlled logging highway right now. It is not advisable to access the Rolling Hills from Coal Creek at this time. It you do venture into this domain, have a VHF radio and be prepared to meet logging trucks on a narrow winding road. Morrissey staging area is open and available.

Sled a lot

Reaction score
Hello, been reading all these posts. I live in the Elkvalley and just heard a few people went up the claims (north of Elkford) yesterday. They claim it was great! Still clapping skis on the rocks at the lower elevations though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hello, been reading all these posts. I live in the Elkvalley and just heard a few people went up the claims (north of Elkford) yesterday. They claim it was great! Still clapping skis on the rocks at the lower elevations though.

I saw lots of rocks in the tracks at higher elevations also. The base is great but still need another storm. Those rocks are big mofo's and I like my A-arms just the way they are. The trees are good for this time of year but still not enough cover.

Sled a lot

Reaction score
A arms are crazy expensive. Couple skiers were up at Hartley a few weeks ago. They seen some big avalanches behind 3 sisters. Saw some pictures and the snow looked amazing for November. The trouble is getting to it.
I'm impatiently waiting for another good dump.

700modd

Reaction score
Does any one know the conditions at atlas or down Corbin road like yellow gates into rolling hills or the pipeline ?
Thanks

EmEight

Reaction score
Any update on snow conditions? My group is considering heading that way next week. A heads up would be appreciated.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any update on snow conditions? My group is considering heading that way next week. A heads up would be appreciated.

Look in the Koots section. The active Fernie thread is in there since Fernie isnt in the CNP.

But short answer.... Lots of traffic, no new snow

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at riding the Rolling Hills area this weekend and haven't been around the area as much as i would like to be. Just curious if a guy is best to drive all the way to Fernie and stage at Coal Creek or to drive up towards the mine and stage along the pipeline to ride in. Coming from Calgary.

Any info is helpful. Should be at least two of us and both are very experienced mountain sledders if that makes a difference.

Cheers

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at riding the Rolling Hills area this weekend and haven't been around the area as much as i would like to be. Just curious if a guy is best to drive all the way to Fernie and stage at Coal Creek or to drive up towards the mine and stage along the pipeline to ride in. Coming from Calgary.

Any info is helpful. Should be at least two of us and both are very experienced mountain sledders if that makes a difference.

Cheers
I would go to Fernie and stage at Coal creek and ride a 9 mile groomed trail to the rolling hills cabin, buy a trail pass and support the club.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Cheers

I guess it depends on whether you want to ride the rough pipeline to get to the Wrangler's cabin or drive in your nice truck listening to tunes and ride a groomed trail up................your choice.

I also like sc800's idea of supporting the local club that grooms, builds cabins, and holds complimentary Family Days.

Top Bottom