Fender Bender

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nearly 17 years of driving and I finally go the enjoyment of my first fender bender in a parking lot. Most of the time I back in but was in a hurry to park I guess.

Anyway I come out, get into my truck, check that the cost is clear and begin to slowly back up. As I am doing so I am looking behind me (there are cars on either side of me). When my truck is about 1/3 of the way out of the parking spot I begin to turn slightly and as I do I look to the front of my truck to make sure I am not going to hit the car along side me. Right as I do I feel the impact and hear a honk virtually at the same time. In that what felt like a split second the chick in her suv had tried to get past me. My bumper hit here Ford Escape pretty much in the driver's side door jam denting the driver door and front fender. My bumper got pushed in slightly but you can hardly tell (I will not be getting a new bumper). So I take the blame for not backing in to begin with and because I was the one doing the backing up. If I had not looked forward at that second I would have been able to stop I think anyway. I don't think she was going the proper speed limit for the parking lot but I have no physical proof. Anyway we exchanged info while she told me it was a new car because she had been in a wreck 2 weeks ago and he old car was totalled. She filed a report with the police (as I had a doc appointment to go to) then the next day I went in and gave my statement. My insurance knows about it but I have yet to do a claim.

I called Ford and priced out a door skin and fender. If there is nothing else damaged on her vehicle those two parts alone from Ford costs about $800. Then they would have to be painted, old ones removed, and new ones installed. And thats if they don't find anything else which I got a feeling they always find something more to fix.

Would you claim it or pay it out. I guess I have to wait and see how much she says it will cost to fix. Either way I am boned I think.

ditchpickle

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure parking lot accidents in Alberta are always 50/50. The only way to win a parking lot accident is if your car was off and you had no control of the vehicle. Talk to the cops, they will have more info.

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait, are you telling me I don't need to pay for her fixes? Or we split the cost of her fixes 50/50? I thought the person backing up was always the one to blame and therefore covered all the costs?

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You pay yours, she pay's her's. 50/50.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never admit blame, ever. I believe she would be to blame if you were partially out and she tried to pass. Let the insurance work it out.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Alberta as far as I know, parking lot accidents are 50/50. doesn't matter if you are backing or not. Cops should be able to tell you when you go make out the report.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Alberta as far as I know, parking lot accidents are 50/50. doesn't matter if you are backing or not. Cops should be able to tell you when you go make out the report.

Thats ridiculous! If someone backs out of a spot and right into the side of my truck, how is that 50/50? It may be the law there but, but, but...........

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats ridiculous! If someone backs out of a spot and right into the side of my truck, how is that 50/50? It may be the law there but, but, but...........
A buddy got hit while parked in a lot. Cops told him that you assume half the liability just being there.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy got hit while parked in a lot. Cops told him that you assume half the liability just being there.
I did not know this. next time I see a door ding in my truck from the vehicle that pulled in beside me I'll be dragging my herd bumper down the side of it as I pull out....thanks Mitch! :D

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure she was. If not she was talking to someone pretty fast after it! No physical proof, and thus no gettin her on the distracted driving new law.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would let the insurance company handle it, they have blanket agreements for certain types of incidents rather than arguing each case. For instance a car striking an open door is always the fault of the open door, even if the door was open for a long period of time before the incident... (I lost that argument) :)

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also a lot of insurance companies let you pay for the claim after so your rates don't go up. Handy for small fender benders.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
generally everything in a parking lot is 50/50, as long as you didn't admit fault on the statement, this isnt so much true if the other vehicle is parked properly and in its stall, then you can be claimed at fault, gf is a broker and said it largely depends on the adjuster, but NEVER ADMIT FAULT, you never know what might turn the tides in your favor even if it was your fault, i would talk to your insurance company and see what there take on it is, they should still allow you to chose to pay yourself if they find it to be your fault and there was no injury in the accident.

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I am hooped. Insurance person said no matter what since I was backing up it was my fault. The other person could have been on a cell phone speeding around but its my fault. The 50/50 thing is only for 2 people that are heading in the same direction (say forward). I don't know how two people collide in a parking lot both moving forward? Now I have to wait on the repair estimate. I would say bare minimum it will be 3K.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was in a parking lot one in ft mac at the peter pond mall, friggen taxi was driving like a bat out of he!!. seen him coming up the passenger side of my truck, woman holding shopping on one arm,packing a kid on the other and holding the hand of second child with the shopping arm was walking past the front of the truck. parking was so icy you could barely walk on it. i hit the horn to make her aware i was moving cranked my wheels to the left and bumped the clutch. he locked up the brakes and slid over halfway down the side of the trailer, copuld see his skid markson the ice, and ran into my front steer tire. i opened my door as he is yelling and screeming in hindunese and walked across the hood of his "pristine canary yellow crown victoria
' which now has the bumper pushed up to the headlighs and tell him to stfu and explained about the woman and kids he would have hit if he missed me.
he kept screamin and yelling that i cut him off yadayadda. cops show up about 1hr later and tell him to stfu as if i would have been moving i would of ripped the front bumper off. told me i was free to go and i take care of my damage he does his. it cost me 1 hr of time waiting for the cop and 1 chrome plastic nut cover 65 cents. was a good day lol

Richadge

Reaction score
yes, all parking lot incidents are 50/50 and each have to fix their own

This is generally true, but if you have a witness willing to make a statement that the other person is at fault, you can be off the hook. This happened to my wife at work, a person saw the incident where the other guy backed into the wife's car, and it was all on the other guy's insurance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom