Farmer talk

xc_rider08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have 15,000 bu. of deer feed for sale at that price if you need slolome. :d :beer:

lol... what u guys getting for prices up their??

with all the flooding down here corn never got planted and the price is just going up

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Down here in SW Minnesota one feedmill we deal with is at $7.00 and another chicken farm doesnt even have enough to make it through Aug. they are TRYING to work a deal with us but when we wanted to contract some corn for July/Aug back in Jan/Feb they were supposedly "outta the market" they wanted to see where it would settle out. Now they come begging us for it and told us to make them an offer. We told them we're not in the market to sell until the price has an 8 in front of it. (Still havent heard from them yet) Must not need it too bad! :d

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Down here in SW Minnesota one feedmill we deal with is at $7.00 and another chicken farm doesnt even have enough to make it through Aug. they are TRYING to work a deal with us but when we wanted to contract some corn for July/Aug back in Jan/Feb they were supposedly "outta the market" they wanted to see where it would settle out. Now they come begging us for it and told us to make them an offer. We told them we're not in the market to sell until the price has an 8 in front of it. (Still havent heard from them yet) Must not need it too bad! :d
Gotta like when that happens eh? Have them by the balls.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, its nice to be the giver of a good screwin every now and then instead of the reciever:d:d:beer:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be deer shooting? Not much hunting going on if all you do is stand by a pile of corn and wait for them to come and feed.....
hunting [ˈhʌntɪŋ] n (Individual Sports & Recreations / Hunting) a. the pursuit and killing or capture of game and wild animals, regarded as a sport

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wet wet feilds

Farm in the morinville area and there is water in spots that haven't seen water in ten years. In 2009 there wasn't a slough or mud hole on the 2100 ac anywhere, now there are 3 and 4 sloughs in every field. If it doesn't stop raining soon it will be ruts from end to end and trucks will have to sit on roads. How is it in other places.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farm in the morinville area and there is water in spots that haven't seen water in ten years. In 2009 there wasn't a slough or mud hole on the 2100 ac anywhere, now there are 3 and 4 sloughs in every field. If it doesn't stop raining soon it will be ruts from end to end and trucks will have to sit on roads. How is it in other places.
Same boat here. Looking at the possibility of getting a grain cart this year so we dont have to drive the trucks in the fields. I think it would be easier on the trucks too, not bouncing across the field all the time.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here!I didn't even get some seeded because of too much rain!!It went from my pastures turning brown from drying out to water laying everywhere within 10 days!I have water holes where I didn't think there was a low spot!!There's always next year!I hope!LOL!!

05Cummins

Reaction score
Seeded 15 thousand acres by plane. and 10 thousand by ground 55% of spraying was done by crop duster aswell.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys are spraying for leaf and stripe rust in your wheat and durum right now. It sounds like it is becoming a major problem in southern Alberta anyway.

popeye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys are spraying for leaf and stripe rust in your wheat and durum right now. It sounds like it is becoming a major problem in southern Alberta anyway.
Lots of acres sprayed here. Any one doing it has done it already but lots that should have been done but didn't get done. Those guys will notice the effects come harvest. This year is the most fungicide I have sprayed since I started doing custom 8 years ago.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had my rep out and looks like I need to spray my durum only at this point. I grow Lillian hard red and it seems fine so far so that is a relief. He says Lillian is pretty resistant to rust. Hopefully it stays that way.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its sure nice to watch somebody with some skill. I saw this video on youtube and I really enjoyed it. I wish we could find some good pilots like whats in this video.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its sure nice to watch somebody with some skill. I saw this video on youtube and I really enjoyed it. I wish we could find some good pilots like whats in this video.

I sure wish I had my pilots license!
Our Bayer chemical rep was saying that crop dusters are actually the most effecient way to spray. Gets the spray under the canopy better.

xc_rider08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got the corn put out tonight for the deer

and took the trail cam pics from tonight

SUNP0031-1.jpg

shooter??/ :p cant wait to hang him on the wall

SUNP0008-1.jpg

SUNP0010.jpg

SUNP0023.jpg

SUNP0038.jpg

turkey anyone???? good thing i got my turkey tag in the mail today :p
SUNP0017.jpg

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hoping one of you folks has had experience with some trouble that I'm having. Maybe someone can give me some suggestions.

I have an old New Holland 495 haybine. We are trying to cut our alfalfa, and are have trouble with the haybine plugging in the middle. Sometimes works great for quite a ways, then continually plugs in the center area. Biggest thought I have had is that the knives are not all low enough. Several of them appear to be floating. Seems to result in the haybine trying to tear the crop off, rather than cutting it off. Then it plugs solid. I can't see how to adjust the knives down (or the [guards] up.) Sorry, I'm kinda new to this stuff, so not sure of all the terms! The blade seems to float through the part that it should be pressing down toward, or at least a lot closer than what they are now. Several are almost touchiing the top of the guards. Any suggestions? I see some sort of bracket ever foot or so, above the sickle blade, but they arent really touching anything. If these are the adjustment, how do they get adjusted down to push the knives down???

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hoping one of you folks has had experience with some trouble that I'm having. Maybe someone can give me some suggestions.

I have an old New Holland 495 haybine. We are trying to cut our alfalfa, and are have trouble with the haybine plugging in the middle. Sometimes works great for quite a ways, then continually plugs in the center area. Biggest thought I have had is that the knives are not all low enough. Several of them appear to be floating. Seems to result in the haybine trying to tear the crop off, rather than cutting it off. Then it plugs solid. I can't see how to adjust the knives down (or the [guards] up.) Sorry, I'm kinda new to this stuff, so not sure of all the terms! The blade seems to float through the part that it should be pressing down toward, or at least a lot closer than what they are now. Several are almost touchiing the top of the guards. Any suggestions? I see some sort of bracket ever foot or so, above the sickle blade, but they arent really touching anything. If these are the adjustment, how do they get adjusted down to push the knives down???

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Where the blade is at in conjuction with the gaurd should not be an issue, unless the blade is actually on top of the guard.
Is the top of the guard still there? Is there maybe a bolt holding on one of the guards in that area that is to long? Maybe some mud underneath that keeps dragging, thus making it plug?
Just some ideas.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check your ledger plates. (the little brackets every foot or so.) They shouldnt quite be touching the blade, but almost. Also check your reel. Are all the fingers on the bats? If you need another 495 for parts, we have 1 sitting in the back corner of the feed yard. Bought a Diskbine for our Macdon swathers instead.

On another note. Have to spray all our wheat, plus do some custom spraying for our neighbor for stripe rust. Looks like I wont be hauling much grain this week. :rant:

Top Bottom