Farmer talk

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check your ledger plates. (the little brackets every foot or so.) They shouldnt quite be touching the blade, but almost. Also check your reel. Are all the fingers on the bats? If you need another 495 for parts, we have 1 sitting in the back corner of the feed yard. Bought a Diskbine for our Macdon swathers instead.

On another note. Have to spray all our wheat, plus do some custom spraying for our neighbor for stripe rust. Looks like I wont be hauling much grain this week. :rant:

Yeah, understood! We're just trying to get the hay cut, while there is actually some dry weather! I also appreciate the offer about the old unit you have there. I do require one thing. The left end of the lower driver, there is a sprocket. I need that sprocket. Previous owner must have stripped out the keyway and welded the sprocket to the roller shaft. Of course the weld broke. I think it's on borrowed time now. Thinking about swapping the rollers around, as the top roller is in great shape at the other end. Just need a good sprocket and gib key. Let me know, if you can part with it, or are you looking to sell the whole thing? Btw, I did check the ledger plates. Some are touching, some are not even close to the knives. Are they supposed to press down a bit? How are they adjusted? With a hammer??? :confused:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, understood! We're just trying to get the hay cut, while there is actually some dry weather! I also appreciate the offer about the old unit you have there. I do require one thing. The left end of the lower driver, there is a sprocket. I need that sprocket. Previous owner must have stripped out the keyway and welded the sprocket to the roller shaft. Of course the weld broke. I think it's on borrowed time now. Thinking about swapping the rollers around, as the top roller is in great shape at the other end. Just need a good sprocket and gib key. Let me know, if you can part with it, or are you looking to sell the whole thing? Btw, I did check the ledger plates. Some are touching, some are not even close to the knives. Are they supposed to press down a bit? How are they adjusted? With a hammer??? :confused:
The ledger plates should be just barely touching the blades. Some are adjustable with a wrench (if they have a locking nut and bolt on them) while the rest are fully adjustable with a trusty hammer.
Where are you located?

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ledger plates should be just barely touching the blades. Some are adjustable with a wrench (if they have a locking nut and bolt on them) while the rest are fully adjustable with a trusty hammer.
Where are you located?

In the Ardrossan area. A short hike from you!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the Ardrossan area. A short hike from you!
Just a wee little jaunt. I will talk to the boss tomorrow and see if he wants to part with parts off of it, or if he wants the whole thing gone. It worked great (as good as it could lol) when we parked it.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a wee little jaunt. I will talk to the boss tomorrow and see if he wants to part with parts off of it, or if he wants the whole thing gone. It worked great (as good as it could lol) when we parked it.

That would be great! Thanks!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got cut off hauling wheat. Good thing we'll be spraying and using this truck for water.

sent from my android

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I removed some shims from some of the guards, to move them up toward the knives, and 'adjusted' all of the ledger plates down. She seems to be working really well right now. Fingers crossed. I think yesterday evening we were up against that, and high humidity. Haybine used to really plug up, if it was even a little humid outside.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I removed some shims from some of the guards, to move them up toward the knives, and 'adjusted' all of the ledger plates down. She seems to be working really well right now. Fingers crossed. I think yesterday evening we were up against that, and high humidity. Haybine used to really plug up, if it was even a little humid outside.

Good deal. I'm glad that worked. I haven't seen the boss today yet, but when I do I'll ask him about that sprocket and key.

sent from my android

Polarisgurl500

Reaction score
Well looks like where not going to get any hay off today. Back to raining again. Yinz been getting any rain lately?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a little rain last night, but nothing to worry about. Hauling bales today.

sent from my android

Polarisgurl500

Reaction score
It rained though the night into mid afternoon. It still looks like we are in for some more rain. It will be good for the garden and crops. Good to hear your hauling hay off. Hay silage to bag right now with it wet would cause us trouble with the milk cows later.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to a farm show today (farmfest.) they didnt have have any major manufactures there but we we looked at everything and I dont know where its gonna stop. $135,000 for a dagelman manure spreader, $130,000 for a Mack Pinnacle, $90,000 for a 40' salford disk, $66,000 for a set of soucy tracks for a combine (which slow your road speed to 17mph MAX.), and the best deal of the day was a Unverferth 1015 Grain Cart for only $37,000 (sounds pretty cheap compared with the rest.) + + + + + + + +

Its gonna take ALOT of money to stay in the game. Im not saying you need those products to stay farming but everthing is soooooooo flippin high priced we need to be putting money away when we make it so we can afford to keep goin.

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neighbor just got a unverferth cart, nice carts they are to!!!! Now I want one :p lol

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were gonna trade in our brent 876 and he says that size of cart has the most demand cause most people cant pull the big ones and they cant afford to upgrade the tractor and cart in the same year. I found that hard to believe but who knows maybe he just doesnt want ours. Its been shedded it whole life except when in the field in the fall and we have replaced the auger multiple times and lined the tube also. I dont know what his deal is.......

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The neighborhood smells like endigo and lorsban insecticide......... the planes have been flying within 4 miles of my house all day. (friggin aphids) :mad:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were gonna trade in our brent 876 and he says that size of cart has the most demand cause most people cant pull the big ones and they cant afford to upgrade the tractor and cart in the same year. I found that hard to believe but who knows maybe he just doesnt want ours. Its been shedded it whole life except when in the field in the fall and we have replaced the auger multiple times and lined the tube also. I dont know what his deal is.......

Carts are cheaper there than here. Was checking last night.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carts are cheaper there than here. Was checking last night.

I cant believe he quoted us the price he did on that unverferth. almost makes one believe the company is coming with something new.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant believe he quoted us the price he did on that unverferth. almost makes one believe the company is coming with something new.

What size and price?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to a farm show today (farmfest.) they didnt have have any major manufactures there but we we looked at everything and I dont know where its gonna stop. $135,000 for a dagelman manure spreader, $130,000 for a Mack Pinnacle, $90,000 for a 40' salford disk, $66,000 for a set of soucy tracks for a combine (which slow your road speed to 17mph MAX.), and the best deal of the day was a Unverferth 1015 Grain Cart for only $37,000 (sounds pretty cheap compared with the rest.) + + + + + + + +

Its gonna take ALOT of money to stay in the game. Im not saying you need those products to stay farming but everthing is soooooooo flippin high priced we need to be putting money away when we make it so we can afford to keep goin.

1000 bu. or 1050

Top Bottom